Pets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

Only one of my cats sleeps with me: it's my Burmese. My others wake up at odd hours throughout the night, so I won't let them sleep with me.

2. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 8, 2018

We have two dogs. Our poodle mix, Raisin, is three and our pit, Olive, is probably maybe two?! Raisin came from a litter that my husband’s aunt’s dog had. We saw the litter the day they were born and I just had to have him! He was the only all black pup, hence the name Raisin! Olive is a rescue from our local shelter. She was found with her two sisters and no one was interested in her. She was the biggest of the three and is now 50ish pounds (but a big ol baby). She has green eyes and I wanted to stick to the food theme, so Olive it was!

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 8, 2018

I have two cats. My 16-year-old female kitty sleeps around my neck - cozy during the winter, but not quite as nice on a hot summer night. My male cat (AKA the golden boy because of his perineal urethrostomy means he shoud be made of gold) sleeps near my feet. To get him to purr, you just need to say his name.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 8, 2018

I have 2 German Shepherds, both rescued from shelters (the younger one from a kill shelter). Oso, the big one I've had for 5 years, and my estimation is that he's about 7-8 years old, the younger one, Zima we've had for 2.5 years and she's a little more than 3 years old.
    Oso is my camping buddy, I camp in remote places, in the mountains far away from everyone and people think I'm either cray or very brave to do that. I don't think I'm, either, this dog makes e feel extremely safe and he looks out for me every minute.
    Through various channels we concluded that he probably had some law enforcement training, he might have even flunked out of K9 academy lol (afraid of gunshots).
    Once I was sighting in my rifle, laying on the ground, this dog jumped through the tiny crack of the window car (have no idea how he squeezed through), ran to me, circled around me twice then curled up next to me, protecting me. He probably thought I got shot.

It's interesting hat we don't know anything about the dogs we rescue. They don't come with a history, we barely know their age. Who knows, this dog could have been a bomb sniffing dog, or one that does search and rescue. Or a simple farm dog. But he was very well trained with very good manners and extremely protective but still friendly.

Zima has obviously been abused prior to us adopting her :( She still flinches (after almost 3 years), has very bad separation anxiety and is very jealous for attention, and territorial. She kinda overpowers the big dog (not physically), who just lets her have her way lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXV-Pt4AbI8/?taken-by=hun.tress.308

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZhtJf_Afhs/?taken-by=hun.tress.308

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2018

I have more cats than my husband wants (4) and one dog. They are all adopted from shelters or when they showed up at my home. My dog adores my hubs and goes to him for pets, but barks at him when he kisses me goodbye in the morning. If I kiss the hubs, he doesn’t bark. Three of my cats think they’re dogs and follow me around the house. One definitely has a cat personality!

6. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 8, 2018

We just got a yellow lab puppy back in November! Her name is Daisy, she's A LOT of dog, but she makes up for it in cuteness :)

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

We have a puppy! He too is a lot of dog! We got him back in February, he's approximately 8 months old. His lineage is pitbull/german shepherd/husky/yellow lab.

Love this dog.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2018

Question for pet owners--what do you pets do when you are at school during the day? I am planning on hiring a dog walker and sending my dog to daycare one day a week. He hates being alone...but even dog walking is expensive here!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 8, 2018

I think ours nap most of the day. DH leaves about 6:40, and I leave about 7:15. We both get home about 4:00. We have a fenced yard and a doggie door, but we don’t leave the door open when we are gone all day.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

We leave ours alone and free to roam the house all day. They usually manage fine on a typical work day. We both leave around 6:30 most days, and at least one of us is usually home by 3:30. If we have evening plans and will be gone for 12+ hours, either my boyfriend comes home during his lunch break or we ask a family member to stop by to let the dog out and feed them all. We have enough family nearby that someone can usually help us out if need be. It's pretty rare that we have to ask for that favor though.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2018

When my dog was younger, he stayed outside in the fenced yard with the covered porch, dog house, and running water fountain.

Now, he stays inside with a piddle pad that he very rarely uses. He sneaks naps on the couch even though he knows he’s not supposed to be up there. I pretend I don’t see him when I come in. :) I started letting him stay in when there were lots of dogs getting bit by rattlesnakes in town. He stays inside most of the time now.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 9, 2018

I have a pug too!! He's our baby and is so generous to let us sleep in HIS King size bed with him :rofl:
    He has no idea he's a dog. I have no idea why :whistle:

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 9, 2018

We have a doggie door, so the dogs can come and go from inside to outside. I have a pretty big backyard, so they can run around. We've even left them a lone for full weekends, many times.

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 9, 2018

Aw, I love pugs. They’re such great dogs! I have a Golden Retriever! (See my profile)

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 9, 2018

If your guy fawn or black? Mine is fawn.

He is a crazy sleeper! He’s also my alarm clock.