Petrified!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Mar 27, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

I hate this! I hate this! I hate this! .....waiting on a contract for next year. We have until about April 20th to hear if we have a job next year. Texas is in a tizzy with teachers being laid off left and right. I am so scared I will be next. I've taught for 8 years, but only in my current district for 2.

I have absolute perfect evals, great worker - and yet I still have to worry about a job.

Anyone else counting down the days until contract renewal time????

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 27, 2011

I was there the past few weeks. We've been talking about budget cuts since January and we had until April 1st to find out about jobs. I just found out this past week that I'm safe. What a relief! My best friend here hasn't heard yet- I moved out here not knowing anyone and she's been great, I can't imagine not having her here- so now I'm all nervous about her job! Good luck! I hope you will be hearing good news!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2011

I have a continuos contract with my district but we are in debt. They are talking about layoffs. I have 14 years experience but this is only my 4th year with my present district. I'm also worried...especially since I bought a house last year. We won't find out until May/June.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

I haven't been worried until now. Just reading this made me worry. I totally forgot about contract time. I just assume I have a job and think positive.
    :(

6. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Mar 27, 2011

Hello,

Wow, I am in the exact same position as you are, except that this is my 3rd year with district. I, too, will find out around the 20th if I have a job next year. We might be in the same district?!

The way I am dealing with it...I remind myself every day that worry is a waste of my time and energy that I could be devoting to my students and to my own children. I have no control over the situation so I am not focusing on it.

Good luck, and I hope we both find out that we have jobs next year!!

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

well to make it worse - its constantly in the news here in Texas. Just Friday a school district pink slipped 280 teachers! So scary! I have never felt scared. I do a great job and have good relationships with admin and co-workers. Now I have to worry because I am a newer one - only been in my district for 2 years.

My friend that has taught for 16 years just changed schools this last year. She wasn't worried at all, but then was called into P office last week to find out they are letting go of all new hires. Oh Lord......

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

yeah - maybe. April 20th is around the 45th day from the end of the year - that is why. I know worrying does no good, but the longer it goes on the harder it is NOT to worry. It's a dark cloud hanging over head.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

I'm worried for myself as well. We'll all just have to hang in there. It's all we can do. *fingers crossed*

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

Hoping for the absolute best for all teachers, but especially my A to Z family!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 27, 2011

Probably not what you want to hear-but our P met with us on Friday and said he figured out a way to keep everyone-even with $1 million less in just our school funds. We will probably be using cardboard boxes for desks-but at least all the teacher jobs are safe.;)

It's a long time to have to worry about it-but I'm sure the news will be good for you! :thumb:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone concerned about their jobs.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 28, 2011

I was told about 2 weeks ago that it would be in my best interest to look for another job for next year. My district is planning big layoffs and I'm a first year teacher so I'm definitely on the cut list. He gave me some glimmer of hope saying that there is a possibility that they'll be able to find a place for me somewhere but there are no guarantees. However, another teacher told me that they might be just stringing me along so they get the most out of me through the end of the school year.

It's very devastating. This is literally my dream job in my dream district. When I was hired here last year I felt like I won the lottery and have immersed myself in my job all year to the point where my own children have told me they "never see me." It's scary and painful to have to look for another position now. There are just no jobs out there to be had. I spent so much time and money going back to school, made my family sacrifice so much, and I might have nothing to show for it after this school year is behind me.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

I am so sorry to those that are facing layoffs. I have been on the edge of my seat worrying about my job since I just started here in Nov. Luckily, I walked in today with a contract in my box! I hope everything works out!

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 28, 2011

Does Texas not have tenure?
    I see both sides of worrying/not worrying. I've had to worry before but I ended up becoming angry that I even HAVE to deal with this nonsense so I became pro-active and started looking at other teaching jobs elsewhere and other jobs outside of teaching. I still want to be a private investigator ; ) ha ha

16. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

My district has given out pink slips to over 300 employees. As a fresh hire this year, I don't feel good about my chances.

California has a special election in June to extend the current taxes. (Not to ADD more taxes, just to extend the current ones...) If it fails, over 2 billion dollars will be cut state-wide. So I probably won't know about my job until after that election or more likely well into August... Fun summer ahead!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

TeacherApr~Texas is at-will state, no tenure. Most districts give you a probationary 1 year contract for the first 3 years you are in a district, and then after 3 years the districts gives teachers 3 yr contracts.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 28, 2011

I'm right there with you. I have my annual review coming up and while I do have "specialized" skills if there's no money than it won't matter how much they like me. I just really, really, really want it to be over all already so I that I can finish out the rest of my school year in peace.

19. BioTeach22

BioTeach22 Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

I'm not going to find out if I'll be returning until as late as July. Our school is in a real state of affairs. Not only do we have budget issues we have an overabundance of biology teachers. I'm only a part time teacher but I would love to take on more classes. Another teacher was hired for middle school but wants to move up to high school. We are both up for the same position. We both need to test to be certified to teach one more class to make this a full time position.

I just wish I knew what next year will bring.

20. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

I am last ESL hired. Even if my P has room right now with the numbers the district says, what happens if the State gives the district less money in May????? I really don't like not knowing!

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2011

I'm in Texas and my state is one of the few with continuing contracts. Unfornately since I've only been there a couple years it doesn't help me.

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2011

no kindercowgirl, right now that is actually comforting..... to know some districts are shooting themselves in the foot - keeping a leveled head.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2011

A principal can offer us a continuing contract after being in the district after 1 year. Most teachers are offered one, but with the cutbacks, the jobs of teachers with continuous contracts are also in jeopardy.

24. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 28, 2011

oh = ( AZ just got rid of tenure....

25. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

I have been nervous for a little while. I try not to think about it as well. I will get more nervous when we are in April which is only a few days away!