Peter Jennings...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Andrea L, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 7, 2005

I am so saddended by his passing. Peter Jennings is all I can remember on ABC Nightly News. I knew that he had lung cancer, but I didn't realize that it was that bad. God Bless Peter Jennings! He will be missed!

3. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 8, 2005

I think most people have been shocked by how quickly it progressed. I went to another message board that I frequent and read about it there for the first time earlier tonight. It is very sad and he will be missed.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 8, 2005

It is sad to hear what happened. He will be missed and I feel for his family.

My mother had lung cancer. Ten years ago she had an operation which they removed 25% of her lung. Afterwards she had radiation. She is a walking miracle the doctors tell her because most lung patients don't survive very long. It was a long recovery for her but she is doing well now. She swims 40 laps a day and the doctors are amazed.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2005

AMK - so glad to hear your mother's happy ending!

Peter (I watched him for so long I feel like we're on a first-name basis) was always my favorite newscaster. I will really miss him.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2005

He was a class act. My husband died of lung cancer and I shudder every time I know someone else has it. Better a shorter term of the disease than a longer one. God bless him.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2005

Watching his interviews you see how much he acomplished during his life starting out as a high school drop out. He was very articulate and commanded your attention. I will never forget how he stayed on the air for 48 hours straight during 9/11

God Bless him and his family

Upsadaisy- sorry about your husband

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2005

I get sad to see clips of broadcasters I grew up with- David Brinkley and the like.

It's 2005. Why on earth hasn't cancer been eradicated?

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

Why on earth hasn't tobacco been eradicated? It is full of poisons and yet the government allows it to be sold to the public.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2005

Thank you, deedee. Tobacco is full of money.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 9, 2005

That's for sure.

My grandfather had lung cancer...it does progress quickly. He had a spot on his lung in March (in 1988) and by early May he was dead. My husband has recently taken up cigars (and it drives me crazy because he was a heavy smoker when we were younger and despite my not thinking he could do it, he quit smoking about 6 years ago; he knows how smoking can hook you and he got hooked again!) Lately he's been smoking more and more and I worry that he is sealing his fate. I find myself resenting the fact that he does not take it more seriously, however, you can't 'tell' a person to quit. It has to come from within. He is only 36 and it kills me to think of the possibility of dealing with something like that.

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

Watching the specials that they aired yesterday on ABC made me cry. Peter Jennings was like a family member to us. Everyday at 6:00 p.m., we would turn on the T.V. to watch ABC world news with Peter Jennings. My parents started me on this when I was young. Peter Jennings is really the only thing we knew. It doesn't seem like he won't be doing the news anymore because we keep seeing him on T.V. It's just sad!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

I have read all your posts. I, too, haven't really known the 6:30 news w/out him being there. We were watching TV late Sunday nite when they broke in with the news...I gasped. I couldn't believe it. It was not a good week to hear that...a close relative was diagnosed with cancer.

Upsdaisy, I am sorry about your husband. My grandma was diagnosed a couple years back and she told me I'm glad none of my kids or grandkids smoked. I started because I thought I'd look like those glamorous movie stars (back then). Isn't scary to know how much influence the movies had even way back!?!?

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2005

Oh, wow, Diznee, that is so true. I don't know why I never started way back when .... I tried lots of other things!

My husband suffered for 4 years before he died. For the last year he couldn't ever lie down flat because he couldn't breathe that way. CanadianTeacher, my husband had stopped smoking prior and then took up a pipe thinking that it wouldn't be as bad. The cancer had to have been growing in his lung for many years before it was found, however. It is a hideous way to go.

15. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 9, 2005

I know....that's why I worry - by the time they find the damage, it's usually too late. My husband keeps saying cigars aren't as bad...I know that's just him justifying it. All I can do is hope he comes to his senses...again.

You're right, it is a hideous way to go. I watched my grandfather get his lungs suctioned every hour or so and I was holding his hand when he died. The last few days he was basically unconscious on morphine.

By the way, speaking of smoking. This is through Canada, so I don't know if you U.S. teachers will have access, but if you go to www.lungsareforlife.ca you can order free teaching modules - I have them and they are excellent and full of info and activities, very complete. I have the complete set and I have a module for each grade from K to 10 (or 12, I don't remember). In each module, there is a Tobacco industry poster child poster that really brings the point home about smoking - it's pretty disgusting.

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

Debbie,
    I knew you were widowed, never quite had the chutzpah to ask how your husband passed away. I am very glad you shared with us your experience. You can see from the shock of our posts that Peter Jennings rapid decline was unexpected by us. However, you indicate that his cancer must have been quite advanced and at the time of his announcing his cancer, he must have already been given a time line. I think he knew his survival was grim. Anyhow, thanks again for sharing something so personal. ((((HUGS))))

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2005

Awwww, I am touched. (((((ruth)))) Thank you for your kindness. I, too, think Peter Jennings must have known the severity of his illness. My husband was very brave for the sake of the rest of us and I will never forget that.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2005

It's been on the news tonight about Christopher Reeve's wife, Dana, and how she also has lung cancer. Their poor kids.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

Becky
    I heard that too! How awful......I thought about their son right away. Do they have a couple kids? So sad.

20. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I found a website that you can leave a sympathy message for Peter Jennings Family. It is www.legacy.com. His obit is on the front page. Also last night I was watching Entertainment Tonight and they told that Peter Jennings always carried a pocket size copy of the Constitution with hime every where he went.

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2005

Kinder, they have one or more together, then he has older kids from before, if I'm not mistaken.

22. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Aug 10, 2005

They are showing a 2 hour special about Peter Jennings on ABC right now. It started at 7:00. Central time, by the way.

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 16, 2005

Becky I was shocked to hear about Dana Reeve. We were on vacation in Aruba when we saw it on the news. Updaisy I am so sorry to hear about your husband. It is such a horrible thing to go through.

In a previous post I said my mom had lung cancer. Thankfully they caught it early. She smoked for many many years and stopped right after she found out. She had brochostis (sp?) and the doctor sent her for xrays and that was how they found her spot. Thankfully they caught it in the early stages. She was so upset to hear about Dana Reeve on the news and Peter Jennings.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2005

Thank you, AMK.

25. karlyn

karlyn Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

A very intelligent and professional person that will be missed by many!

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2005

Upsadaisy, I was reading through this again..........I am so sorry about your loss. :( How terrible for you! I just can't imagine that kind of sorrow.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2005

Thank you, kinderkids. And my kids were at terrible ages (15 and 18), not that there are any good ages for it ......

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2005

That is so sad. I just can never make sense of such tragic things like that.
    It is just beyond any human understanding sometimes.