Pet Strollers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 29, 2011

My dog is 6 yrs old now & although I've thought of getting a stroller in the past, I nev got one. Now, I'm thinking of finally getting it. I realize the whole point is for the dog to exercise, but there's those rare situations when I may need to put him in a stroller (tkg him farther distances & hvg it as a backup when he gets too tired, place gets crowded & I want my smaller size dog to stay safe, better being able to tk him out & inside more stores so he's not left at home as much, etc.)

I'm sure some people think pet strollers are just ludicrous, but he's my baby & I don't hv kids yet! :wub:
    They can be as much as almost $300, but I'm not spending that much because I won't use it that much as it is. Maybe $30-45.

Anyone know of any nice ones for that price range? Post it here, thanks! :)

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 29, 2011

I will never put my dog in a stroller. Maybe if an animal is injured that'd be a nice way to get them outside, etc but if they're able to walk that's what dogs enjoy and need, they aren't kids.
    The other day I saw a big dog sitting in one of those bike trailers and I couldn't believe it as the person rode by!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 29, 2011

Yeah, that's why I'm not spending an arm & a leg. I'll use it very rarely for non-exercise purposes when I may just want to take my dog out for fresh air, yet don't have time to actually walk him. :)

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 29, 2011

I don't think my dog would like it. If he hurt himself and I didn't want him to walk then maybe I would consider it (or if he gets arthritis when he's older, etc.). He loves to walk too much now.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 29, 2011

Mine likes to walk too!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 29, 2011

I should say that he likes to take ME for a walk. Sometimes I can't even handle him lol He's a 30lb pug who's mommy isn't as young as she used to be haha

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

I'll PM you.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

I blame Paris Hilton for this conversation.:dizzy:

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 29, 2011

Well some dogs, flat-faced breeds which I know Ms. I has, can't walk long distances. So IF you're taking your dog somewhere and they'll be a lot of walking...and it's really hot or really cold it might be a good idea to stroll them around. But other than that I can't see it having much purpose.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 29, 2011

One of my coworkers has a stroller for her cats, and they LOVE it! Of course she looks a bit silly with the kitties in there, but she thinks it's awesome. :)

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 29, 2011

Check Craigslist! They might have some good strollers for less money.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

Yes, there are of course certain breeds that cannot walk far. Just because he or she can't walk for a great length, the dog will still enjoy being out and about.

I've never seen Paris Hilton with a dog stroller...

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

Here's a pic of Tori Spelling with hers...:dizzy:
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/butasamb/tori-spelling-dog-stroller-1.jpg

Paris may not have a stroller...but she did glamorize the whole take your little dog EVERWHERE trend.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2011

I can say FIRMLY that neither Paris or Tori influenced how I treat my dog. He is my child, and there are few places I go without him...because I love him, not because he's a cute accessory.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 1, 2011

My DeeOhGee is lying in my lap as I type
    She stretched look at the screen and saw Tori Spelling then made a sound somewhere between a growl and a laugh, then she look at me as if to say "Don't you ever get me one of those"

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

I used to get repulsed when people used to bring their dogs into the shoe store I managed for 6 years....there were strollers even back then. At least with the stroller I feel its a little more sanitary, if it goes to the bathroom, it won't be on my floor.

I'm not a dog lover so I'll never understand...

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2011

I don't take mine everywhere personally, but every once in a while other than walking him, I'll take him for a short drive in his carseat if I need to do a quick errand where I'm not really getting out of the car. Yes, I have had a carseat for my dog all along. Here's a couple in my previous car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if your shoe str was in in outdoor mall, but when strs are in an outdoor shopping mall/area, I'm sure employees expect people to bring along their dogs a lot more often. And in this economy especially, I'd think str owners/mgrs would rather prefer customers w/ their dogs than no customers at all (at the outdoor malls) & would think twice before asking people to tk their dog out. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone should be able to bring their dogs ANYWHERE.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

I've seen dogs in the Gap, Walgreens, and TJ Maxx. Not all were in strollers, and NONE were guide dogs. There are many people who are deathly afraid of animals and others who are allergic...

PS, Ms I, your dog is ADORABLE!!! I'd smile if you pulled up in your car next to mine.:cool:

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

I am a dog person,but know many peoplewho aren't....like my mom.

She would avoid going into astore if there was a dog there.

Aside from guide and helper dogs,I simply don't see why it's not prohibited (and I've always thought it WAS.)

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 1, 2011

I truly can't stand when I see a small dog in a "purse" at a store...seriously...that's just ridiculous...

Dog strollers make me chuckle...I understand why you'd want one though, Ms.I. Maybe get one and try it out first to see if Yoshi actually tolerates it :)

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I wouldn't take my lovely into stores such as those czacza mentioned. I assume animals are prohibited there and there are sometimes signs saying just that. I say I take my dog nearly everywhere, but I hardly go anywhere, so it works out fine. :haha:

Our little local stores, though, are often glad to visit with the dogs. The bank, the little hut for the water company where you pay your bill, and many other places give dog treats.

I have a stroller, a great car seat, a playpen...everything. Just because you normally associate these items with humans doesn't mean they don't prove beneficial to pets. It's not necessarily humanizing pets. It's not just for a cutesy effect. While I very much feel as though my dog is my child, it is possible to mistakenly view a pet as a human (child and human not being the same here). I very much respect my dog's doginess. :)

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2011

Thank you! :)

Being a dog person like I am, nothing people do w/ their pets really irk me. But, I do think it's disgusting when people kiss them on the mouth! Eek! :)

I think Yoshi will enjoy the stroller because a few times, I've put him in the shopping cart of stores & he loves riding around looking out. I've been wanting to walk my dog around this other outdoor mall I've never taken him before that's about 45 min away, so if I had a stroller in the car, I'd feel better about taking him there.

I agree 100%! :)

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 1, 2011

My mom has a pekingnese that is spoiled rotten now that she has an empty nest. When the temperature is right, he goes shopping with my parents but only goes in the pet stores.

My mom brought him to an outdoor antiques fair but in years past, we had seen many dogs brought along by others do we knew it would be ok. When Peanut got tired, we put him in the collapsible shopping cart I had bought there a few years back. He liked riding in it. If we had only shopped until he got tired, we wouldn't have seen much!

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 1, 2011

My mom has a pekingnese that is spoiled rotten now that she has an empty nest. When the temperature is right, he goes shopping with my parents but only goes in the pet stores.

My mom brought him to an outdoor antiques fair but in years past, we had seen many dogs brought along by others do we knew it would be ok. When Peanut got tired, we put him in the collapsible shopping cart I had bought there a few years back. He liked riding in it. If we had only shopped until he got tired, we wouldn't have seen much!

27. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

Nope not outside a huge inside mall, where pets were not allowed! LOL, I never would dream of kicking them out, just helping them REALLY quick and hoping they didn't bark or bite!

I actually think your dog is cute, one of my friends has one of those... I just don't like them to come near me and sniff me or drool on me or bark! LOL

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Just a general FYI: While it's obvious, for example, that a blind person is using a dog as a guide, there are also emotional guide dogs for those with anxiety and other situations.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Right. And no one objects to the presence of any of the "helper dogs."

My objection is to pets being in stores.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

My point is, of course, that what you may interpret as only a pet in a store may in fact be someone's emotional guide dog. Little chance, of course...I'm just saying. :)

31. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 1, 2011

Saw a pomeranian in the mall today being hand-fed food from food court...I rolled my eyes...this was indoor mall....and in a food court!

I love seeing guide dogs and those type. I'm glad they are helping people.

32. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

About four years ago I had a very old Lab......... We went for walks and hikes for 12 plus years. Then she was not able to walk with me. I bought a stroller and the took her on "walks." I had to put her down about four years ago. I'm still devastated at her loss....:(

I now have a three year old Lab. We go on walks and hikes. When it comes the time (and I'm still able) I will take her on "stroller" walks.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

My brother's sister in law is confined to a wheelchair and has a helper dog (probably not the correct term.) He reaches for things for her and is a huge help.

But he wears a harness so people know he's "on duty." Those aren't the dogs being fed little morsels as the person shops; those dogs are working. I think it would be fairly hard to confuse a working dog with a pet.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2011

Yes, like I said, I'm not saying all those w/ cute, little dogs should be able to take them ANYWHERE they want because how can anyone refuse a cute little face. I realize that not everyone likes dogs all over the place. Generally, if it's an outdoor mall, people can take them into most stores (& probably the remaining stores if they're in a stroller), unless theestablishment is serving food. But, you can sit outside in the patio area of a restaurant w/ your dog. I see that too.

But, I've seen people carrying (not walking) dogs in an indoor mall before too & no one said anything at the time.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Alice, I agree that most often service dogs are easy to identify. The emotional support animal is pretty uncommon as far as I know and not as "protected" by the law, but there is some protection still. You would not necessarily recognize these animals as being service dogs as they are more or less companion dogs. Not attempting to argue...just sharing information. Again, I think odds are someone with their obviously-not-service-dog in a mall is just an extra family member along for the ride and not an emotional support animal. :)

Dogs are such incredible creatures. The way they guide those in need, recognize seizures before they surface, even detect cancer (that one in particular is amazing and I have no idea why this isn't being more heavily pursued!). Love, love dogs.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

"Dogs are such incredible creatures. The way they guide those in need, recognize seizures before they surface, even detect cancer (that one in particular is amazing and I have no idea why this isn't being more heavily pursued!). Love, love dogs."

Cats do some of these same things...:love:

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Yes, well... ;)

Kidding, I love cats too. They are just more prone to attack me, such as climbing to the top of the fridge and then pouncing on my head. Ha, ha!

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Imagine that same trepidation that some people have with unknown dogs out in public...

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Really? I was clearly kidding about the cats. I'm not advocating one's dog should never remain at home. As I said already, there are few places I go without my dog, but I hardly go anywhere.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

And Major, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

41. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

I have a two year old Frenchie and I would never put him in a stroller. However, I would gladly purchase a wheelchair for him if he really needed it for medical reasons or had such difficulty walking. He has one vertebrae in his spine that's not aligned so he may have issues later in life.

I don't want to thread hijack but I don't think I've shared pictures of my baby...

8 months old
    [​IMG]

Taken yesterday when he woke up from a nap
    [​IMG]