Pet Rabbits

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by adventuresofJ, Mar 18, 2009.

1. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

I know Jem and I have pet bunnies and I just saw one other that did as well. Since it was in a cat thread I thought I'd start a bunny thread to discuss food/litter/odds and ends.

First: My personal favorite websites
    rabbits.org
    binkybunny.com

Second: Food
    I use KayTee Forti-Diet Pro Health Food for Adult Rabbits or
    Timothy Complete which has the highest % of fiber i can find locally. No random cheap pieces of filler non-bunny things like seeds and corn (ew)
    They also have unlimited amounts of Timothy hay and veggies as snacks.

Third: BUNNIES!!!!
    Noodle: 4 years old - F - med mix breed - reminds me of a Rottie or Doberman markings - loves to watch tv on the couch
    Mac (Macaroni): 2 -M- Netherland dwarf - white - acts like he's really Noodle's bunny
    They are currently housed in their mansion made of NIC cubes.

Fourth: Worries
    I don't have many. The worst would be them escaping or chewing on something that does not agree with them. With Noodle it is pretty easy to tell when she does not feel well.

Your turn. :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

Mmmm... I love my bunny. He's such a good cuddler. And he's hilarious. Last night he got under the coffee table and just began stomping. And sometimes he'll run under the bed (which is NOT allowed), and he'll stomp really loud to let us know he's under there. If we ignore him, he'll slink off. He also likes to get into the spare room, and he'll make me chase him around and around the table in the middle of the room until I'm out of breath. He does so many hilarious things. I love him to death.

But he is a giant pain in the butt, too. He chews EVERYTHING. He took a corner off a book I was planning to sell last night. And he chewed through my printer cord, so now I have to hold it when I print. And he's destroyed THREE of my dh's computer cords. And he's eaten many pairs of my shoes.

It's all worth it when he hops up on the couch to snuggle, though. Or does a little bunny flip. His favorite treats are raisins (he'll do ANYTHING for one) and mango pieces. My mother in law just got him a container of fresh grass, and I accidentally left it in his cage too long. He razed the entire thing, but in a totally even manner-straight across the top. He even left enough to re-grow. Smart bunny.

I get the Target food. It's cheap and he seems to really like it. I get two huge bags at a time and dump it into a large rubbermaid container. Then I can scoop a bit out for each meal. He is so greedy that he would eat his whole day's worth of food if I only gave it to him once a day.

He's outside on the deck right now, laying in a sunbean.

Pictures of Bunny: http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/72157605925037729/

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

I LOVE this thread!!! I'm gonna come back and fill in the blanks! American Idol just started and I can't miss it. :D

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

Our house bunny...a miniature black bunny...1/2 Rex and l/2 ???
    I don't remember...at the time, he and his brothers/sisters were visiting our classroom for Show & Tell. When I found out that he was for sale...I snatched him up. We brought him, Oreo, home when he was officially weaned. He was a black bunny...is gray now, lost some neck hair and it's coming in black!

He is the funniest creature! He loves to jump and turn half ways!!! He makes me laugh so much.
    We had him eating bunny food from PetSmart, but we were low on food and I snatched up a bag of bunny food from WalMart...we noticed that his BM is stinky...so, I'm going back to the PetSmart food...any advice on that??? I also read that Oreo shouldn't eat veggies until he's 6 months old which will be in June.
    We let him run around in our living room, but that's it...then he's housed in his good-size cage.

I'll have to post pictures soon...it's 12:30 AM now! And I'm crazy to be online now!

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

Our program's bunny is a mini lop. She is dark broken brown, nearly black. When we got her she was really black, the children named her "brown sugar" which is really funny since they couldn't tell brown from black. The name makes all the parents laugh.

She too is funny, and snuggly. The children interact with her when she is being held by a grown up. She is very territorial about her hutch. but cute.

Right now she eats either Walmart food or Petco food depending on where I am, with timothy hay and apple slices (dutifully delivered by the children).

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I love to hear that others have bunnies!

TeacherSandra-I didn't give Bunny fresh fruit/veggies until he was 6 months old, either. I remember counting down the weeks. I gave him too many apple slices after he was neutered (his first treat ever) and it was a MESS. Just a word of warning. ;)

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

Ewwwww....thanks for the warning! LOL I have a bad enough time with the new bm smell...ick!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

The children had to mark weeks off on a calendar before we were able to give the bunny apple slices.* They are what is left over from snack - but regardless of how many are saved - there is a limit on how many the bunny can have.* We end up doing a lot of fraction work trying to figure out how to slice the 3 slices in order to have each child hold a section of apple slice.In the summer they can pick all of the parsley and dandilion tops they want to give to her, those wilt and just look like the grass in the bottom of the excercise pen.*

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

What About Bathing Your Bunny??

one of the books I read said ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    I've talked with young bunny owners and they have bathed their bunny.
    What do you think?? Cats don't like people baths; would bunnies?

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

Our rabbit does a great job self grooming- we do brush her, but we don't get her wet.* I am not thinking she would appreciate it at all.* she is a bunny who splits her time inside and out-so an inside only bunny may not care.

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 19, 2009

I had two pet bunnies- they were both boys, brothers! One was black and white- Baxter, the other was white with a little grey-ish brown circle on his bottom- Ollie. When they got older Baxter attacked Ollie. It was a terrifying mess. Pure white Ollie was bloody and awful. It was scary! Ollie was my brothers pet, and I was worried about hurting him more by touching him, so my brother gave Ollie a bath and yikes- he (Ollie) was not happy! It was such a sad scream he gave! I was terrified, but he was fine. I had to separate them and we built a new shelter area for Ollie in his half of the cage. And Baxter kept the old shelter. My bunnies stayed outside in the cage in the summer/spring or out in the old garden running around, but was in the basement in the cage in the winter. We would also let them run around in the kitchen randomly. We always had fresh hay and those salt licks for them. I would never have bunnies again or if I did just one, because I would be too worried about two doing something like mine did! yikes.

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 19, 2009

The food walmart sells is not good, it has ALL sorts of things that are useless or bad for a bunny digestive system -seeds/corn. Until he's 8m-1year he should have an alfalfa based food and unlimited alfalfa or timothy hay... About then he should be switched to an all timothy hay diet (some pellets, mostly hay). Also -- What kind of litter or bed lining do you use? It may be that smell as well. If its too bad - mine don't smell at all - I would try to feed them fresh/dried mint, i hear that makes things smell minty :)

Baths... it depends... if they are messy and pee on themselves because they are fat/old/unfixed, then it wont hurt them.. Noodle and Mac have had them and don't like them. Most people say not to because they do not need them - they dont for the most part. The commercial shampoos and things are often too strong and are used incorrectly. Because i have two - they clean them selves very well and do not need baths anymore.

Bunny tummies are VERY sensitive to sugar - gives them the runs. Any sugary veggies should be given as snacks in small doses. This includes apples, banana, peaches, grapes, berries, and carrots. Citrus is BAD - Guinea pigs need it but it is very bad for bunnies.

15. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 19, 2009

Unfixed animals shouldn't be kept together - they get VERY territorial. Females are worse than the males - females do not care who they are fighting. Males may have turned on each other because they smelled a female... or a million other reasons.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

I purchase the bunny food from Target. It's the animal planet one. My bunny is super picky, and that's one of the rabbit foods that she will eat. I use to go to this small pet store that sold really good healthy rabbit food from a local company, but they changed their recipe and added weird stuff to it. I, along with my bunny, were so bummed!!!

[​IMG]
    My bunny LOVES:
    1) raisons
    2) banana chips
    3) cilantro
    4) running around with a sock
    5) beinb petted
    6) playing chase

[​IMG]

My bunny is a free roaming bunny. I learned quickly to bunny proof my backyard as she has gotten out at least three times! Thankfully, we got her back each and every time.

[​IMG]

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

I'll be heading back to PetSmart to get OREO his bunny food...I noticed that the WalMart brand had seeds and corn, but I thought they would be good for him. :confused:
    OREO has timothy hay with his food; we're getting low on that, so we'll be picking up a bag of that too!
    I dont have any litter or bed lining in his cage; I put it down once and he messed it all up and moved it everywhere...all around the cage and outside the cage; so there was no "bedlike" area. Is that bad? Not to have a sleeping area for him if he's tossing it here & there? I thought about those cute little "sleepers" but figured he'd chew on them or pee on them.

18. glenn

glenn Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

My rabbit has the run of the house. He is a mini rex and has really soft fur which is fawn color

I have found the best liter is Yesterday’s News
    http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/

I bought a plastic container at the dollar store and that is liter box.

Perry eats apple, pears, carrots, lettuce and blueberries in small amounts

He eats a lot of Timothy hay as well as parsley and cilantro

With all the stuff he eats he only get a small amount of pellets at bedtime. If he eats too many pellets he gets too fat.

Perry really like people he comes running out when ever the doorbell rings. He loves to get pets and play with his various toys he throws around such as a paper towel roll, plastic basket and cardboard box.

19. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 19, 2009

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

We have given Bunny a few baths, mostly when he gets poo stuck in his fur when he's sick. We gave him a bath just for the heck of it last week and he really loved it-for the first time we weren't rubbing him down in the water, and he just kind of hopped around and splashed. I put a towel in the bottom of the tub so he can't slip on the porcelain, and put a couple inches of water in. When I have to clean him, I drag his butt around on the towel-the friction cleans him off. When I take him out, I completely wrap him in a towel and rub him down until he's mostly dry. He smells so good, and feels so soft! If you leave them wet, they will get a cold. But I dry him off enough. He gets wetter when we spray him with the spray bottle when he gets under the bed!

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I just use newspaper for Bunny's cage. It's so easy. I just lay the sheets down, several layers. He loves to rip it up himself if he wants to flip it around-he'll even start to layer it over his poo corner if it starts to get too messy-like he wants to help clean it up! Then I just roll the sheets up and put them in the trash-they make a nice tube that fits the trash bag nicely. Then I wipe the base down with disinfectant wipes-it's plastic, and that cleans it perfectly. Then I lay more newspaper down-done! So easy and cheap!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

That's good that your bunny goes in the cage. My bunny has a cage but only goes in there to hang out and flop around. She likes to go right outside of her cage. :rolleyes: We put a plastic sheet down and a towel, but now she's starting to go off of the plastic sheet. That bunny! :rolleyes:

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

Yeah-he's so good about it! He always goes back to his cage to go. We have a little box that he loves to just sit in, and he'll even leave that go back to the cage.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

PediPaws

Has anyone purchased the nail clipper for their little bunny?? I wouldn't want to hurt my little Oreo, so I'm wondering if this clipper is ok for bunnies. LMK.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Actually, we got the pedipaw for Bunny and he LOVES it! I was terrified to use it, as I thought the noise would really bother him. But dh was tired of worrying about hitting the pink with the clippers (I always hold Bunny while he clips). Bunny is so calm when we use it. We give him a raisin after each paw, though, so that helps. ;)

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

oh good! I'm glad to know you use it, Jem. Thanks!

27. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

The Pedipaw thing may not work for everybunny :) A couple rabbit groups I'm part of hate it... but that goes for all sorts of things, it can't hurt to tray at least. I use cat nail trimmers, but I'm also used to doing dog nails so its much more familiar and comfortable for me to use.

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 20, 2009

We just use cat nail trimmers too-Brown sugar is afraid of the sound of machines-so we didn't think it would work out.