Pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by txbelle, Jul 26, 2018.

1. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 26, 2018

Ok, short rant. These are two different words, "sell" and "sale"! It makes my teeth itch when people, aka relatively intelligent friends of mine, on Facebook can't seem to use these words correctly.
    "I have XYZ for sell" or "I must sale XYZ..."
    Ugh, I had to get that off my chest. You always hear of people complaining about "their, they're, there", but "sell" and "sale" seem to just get overlooked.

Do ya'll have any pet peeves that you want to share? School related or not. (I know the word "ya'll" might be someone's pet peeve and I'm ok with that. :D)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2018

I have many pet peeves. I'm getting cranky in my old age. :p

Upsadaisy and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2018

Pronouncing the word "water" as if it was spelled "warter". Obviously, this carries over to the word "Washington". Real thorn in my side.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2018

Or "warsh". I have to warsh my clothes. Ugh.

I have far too many to list. It depends on the day really. Right now it's people getting their medical advice from social media instead of actual medical professionals.

Upsadaisy and vickilyn like this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2018

PROLLY... it hurts my head. They "prolly" don't know better. They probably don't have a clue.

Tomarrow is another I see from a friend. smh

Upsadaisy and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 26, 2018

There are several regional differences in dialect and I think this pet peeve is one of them. Mixing up sale and sell isn't one I've heard of.

Something that bothers me is when people say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less". It makes me cringe a bit!

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 26, 2018

My biggest pet peeve is when people go through the drive through, take forever to decide (and for their kids to decide), and then place a monster order. They then proceed to have numerous questions for the attendant when picking up/paying for said order. .

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 26, 2018

When someone holds the door open for me when I am still too far away. It makes me feel obligated to do a power walk.
    Also when people sneeze out into the open. Their spit goes out everywhere. Is it really that hard to sneeze in your shirt or inner elbow....?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 26, 2018

When the teacher is asking a question, and that one student who tries too hard for attention will answer the questions wrong on purpose and laughs.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2018

People who monopolize time at meetings by asking ridiculous questions or chimining in far too much.

bella84 likes this.
  12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2018

I've never noticed people mixing up sell/sale. My mom is obsessed with grammar and honestly that's one of my pet peeves, so I try not to be obsessive. That said, I cannot stand when people say "seen" instead of "saw." In many cases this is coming from college educated people also. My teammate is extremely intelligent, but I've heard her say "I seen" a few times. It seems like maybe it's a casual slip and hopefully she doesn't say it in front of students...

Upsadaisy and MissScrimmage like this.
  13. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 27, 2018

When teachers write on the whiteboard with permanent markers instead of whiteboard markers. Then they do a half baked job of cleaning it up and leaving it for the next teacher. One teacher did this yesterday, using red permanent marker. When I walked in the room, it looked like murder had occurred!

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2018

“Supposably” when it should be supposedly!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 27, 2018

Which makes skipping the drive through a better option! All the troublemakers are at the drive through and the normal people are inside LOL
    Reason #99 I don't go to fast food places!!!

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 27, 2018

I have too many pet peeves to list but mostly people are just being lazy. If I see one more sentence like, "I'm going thru so much right now". Do they have a hole thru their heads???? :roll:

vickilyn likes this.
  17. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 27, 2018

My biggest pet peeve is when students I know are capable of doing the work end up failing because they just can't be bothered to turn stuff in. They do the work, but just don't even bother! That grinds my gears. You wasted the time and effort to actually do the work but then you just can't be bothered! Arg!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2018

"I borrowed my friend some money."..NO, YOU DIDN'T...you loaned your friend some money. I see that all the time on judge shows and it drives me batty.

Upsadaisy and vickilyn like this.
  19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 27, 2018

Thought of another one today. You guys are all caught up with how people use the English language, but I don't care about any of that. At the grocery store (or any place really), when there are tons of empty spots, but people still have their cars parked in the middle of the road blocking traffic. I get it if they are just picking someone up at the front of the store, but I see people do this for like 10 minutes. It won't kill you to take a spot!

MissScrimmage and pommom like this.
  20. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 27, 2018

I know right, the English language is complicated enough with all these grammar rules, and people are going to knit pick how others speak...
    Yes, I can relate with the car issue. I tried backing out of a space today, and there was this parked car with someone in it behind me. I couldn't leave until she moved forward.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2018

Please take this as a gentle, loving poke it is meant to be - I'm pretty sure that when I care very much about tiny, inconsequential details, I am nitpicking. I pick at the knit top that brushed against the neighbor's cat, just to remove the stray hairs.

The beauty of your example is that when spoken, no one knows about that pesky "k".

Backing up your example of cars going no where fast, and holding you hostage, I had a similar experience, blocked by the cars in the drive through lane, undoubtedly slowed down by one of those huge orders with many people ordering, but not knowing what they want until they are at the order speaker. I mean, we all completely forget what Taco Bell or McDonalds sells between visits, right? :hugs:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Missy likes this.
  22. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 28, 2018

Yep, those homophones.

vickilyn likes this.
  23. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

I thoroughly understand why so many teachers are concerned about the frequent mangling of American English. As teachers in a multicultural society, I believe we have a professional responsibility to ensure that our students learn the proper use of our country's primary language. Almost every thread here has examples of misspellings, incorrect grammar and poor sentence structure. If teachers don't know how to use simple words properly (e.g. me-I, lay-lie, see-saw-seen), how can they expect to teach their students to do so? My former colleague who graduated from UC, Davis, but didn't know the difference between deer and dear, reminded me of just how low the bar has been set. If we don't nitpick, who will? IMO, people who consistently make such errors come across as continuing to speak and write like young children.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  24. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 30, 2018

The one that drives me nuts is when people use "I" instead of "me."

Example: "This is a picture of my mom and I."

It should be, "This is a picture of my mom and me." I even see this mistake on TV, movies, and in novels. The only reason it drives me nuts is because the people making the mistake are usually the type who would describe themselves as "grammar Nazis," but they don't really understand nominative and objective case. I imagine that at some point, their teacher corrected "me" to "I," and they took that to mean you should never use the word "me." Similar story with who/whom.

SpecialPreskoo and Upsadaisy like this.
  25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

I just thought of another one: my secretary constantly says, "I know, right?"

For example:
    Me: "Thanks for getting that done so quickly. I'm certain it was a tedious task."
    Her: "I know, right?"

Me: "Let's order extra toner this year so we won't run out like we did last year."
    Her: "I know, right?"

I didn't hire her. I inherited her.

SpecialPreskoo and Upsadaisy like this.
  26. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 30, 2018

That's one I noticed three responses back. What do you think it actually means? Would the converse be, "I don't know, wrong?" Whatever the explanation, it still reminds me of undeveloped child's talk. (No offense intended.)

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2018

Yes, this is picky. When people say, "Sooner than later," when they mean, "Sooner rather than later." Makes my blood boil. I don't know why.

My mother was a stickler for grammar. Whenever one of us made a mistake, she would say, "That's because they don't teach you to diagram sentences any more...." She could've been right.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2018

:rofl::toofunny:

An educated professional finding misuse of grammar bothersome is not nitpicking. Especially when such offenses are committed by other educated professionals. (My supe is famous for running off schoolwide notices and then having them pulled, edited and recopied because someone found an error and pointed out to her office so as to not have the notice sent out to the community with errors.) We all misspeak on occasion. We all are guilty of ‘fat finger’ typos. Finding continued misuse of the language grating, however? Yeah, not nitpicking.

greendream likes this.
  29. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 31, 2018

I'm guilty of my phone correcting 'could' and 'would' to 'coukd' and 'woukd'. And terrible grammar. And spelling.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2018

Wouldn't that be the other way around?

31. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 31, 2018

Nope. It replaces the l with a k. I've basically gotten it to stop doing that though.

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2018

My husband's phrase is "and all". Uses it as much as some people say "you know".

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 31, 2018

Speak of would and could: what about when people write would of and could of. Makes me cringe.

bella84 likes this.
  34. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 31, 2018

Shoulda... Woulda... Coulda... But ya didn't.

I dunno that just popped into my head. That train of thought left the station without me though.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2018

Strange.

36. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 31, 2018

So I use an app called SwiftKey on my phone which I absolutely love. However it has this learning feature which is supposed to help with your productivity by learning the oddities in your speech so it can better recognize what you're trying to type. Well somehow I got it to learn to replace the l with a k in could and would – don't ask how because I'm not sure.