Pet parents: FURminator review

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Erin Elizabeth, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

I am the human of a Siamese mix kitty, and though he is a short-hair, he is shedding like no one's business this summer. And I have a dark, chocolate-brown couch on which he loves to sleep. Dilemma. I hate vacuuming. But I hate cat hair everywhere.

I saw the FURminator brush at the pet store the other day. I thought it was WAY overpriced and probably just a gimmick. I did some research online, reading some reviews, etc. It looked promising. I saw one on e-bay. I bid. I won. For 50% less than retail!

I got my brush yesterday. I swear, my cat is 5 pounds lighter. You would not believe the amount of loose hair that came off of him. Much, much more than with my regular brush. And he really liked the brush too, judging by the level of purring.

We give the FURminator 2 paws up. :2up::wow:
    (Don't worry, I'm not being paid by the company to endorse it. I just think it rocks and I wanted to share!)

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Now you have me looking it up on ebay...
    My cats have the same problem, and I've never heard of this brush!

4. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 12, 2008

How is a FURminator brush different from a regular brush?

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

Does it work on dogs too? And like Chef Dave said, how's it different?

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

Well, it's got these really fine, metal teeth. I suppose there are other brushes similar to a furminator that you could get a a grooming supply store.

There are different sizes that work on both dogs and cats.

7. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I don't know how much you paid, but Amazon.com has them for about 29.00. It says it's for dogs and cats.

Product Description
    The patented FURminator Medium deShedding Tool quickly and easily removes (it doesn't cut) the loose, dead undercoat hair that is the underlying source of shedding - a pet owners #1 complaint - and the allergies and cleanliness problems associated with it. The tools unique stainless steel edge grabs loose undercoat hair and removes it without damaging the pets topcoat. Reduces shedding up to 90%. Guaranteed to reduce shedding better than any brush, comb or rake . Works great on all shedding breeds of dogs and cats, (both long and short-haired). Brings out the pet's natural oils, leaving a shiny and healthy topcoat. Features a comfortable, ergonomic grip handle.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

Sounds like a dream come true.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

I have a short-haired white and tan furbaby who sheds like a bandit! The Furminator works better than a standard shedding blade, but he's not too fond of it - it must pull a bit. However, it does a great job.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

I got mine on ebay for $20 including shipping!

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2008

I have four long haired cats. I get enough hair that I can make a pet rabbit. I have a vacuum cleaner for pets, and after I've used this brush, I don't get nearly as much hair up from the carpet. It's lovely. If I only could train the cats to use it on themselves and vacuum every day, I'd have it made!

12. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

We use it on our 3 labs and it is wonderful! It looks like we have an extra dog everytime we use it:) It takes off their undercoat to reduce their shedding. I think we had to get the large brush because of the size of the dogs, but they don't seem to be bothered by it. I would recommend it for any pet owner.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

I keep thinking how much easier it would be if Lizzie (my long-haired tortoise-shell) would let me just vacuum her. I keep trying and she keeps running away. I'm off to look for this brush. I think this is the one I saw on QVC the other day (no, I don't normally watch it, but I was scanning channels and saw them grooming pets and stopped :) )

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I used to work with a groomer. LOVE LOVE LOVE the furminator... i'm planning on getting one for my rabbits.

15. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

Oh, man. My cat would cause me great bodily harm if I tried to vacuum him!

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

LOL Actually that's one of the excercise routines I have for her. I start the vacuum and run it around and she takes off zooming!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

That is so funny. I always think the same thing (also a tortoiseshell). My dog when I was a kid loved to be vacuumed. We shaved my cat's whole back and partly down the sides. It's been a nice respite from the clumps of fur. Fur is coming in now, though, so I think I need to get one of these. I saw it on Amazon for $19.25, free shipping.

18. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

That's a really good price.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

I have a very fuzzy cat and a very allergic husband. This might be a great idea for the whole household. I wonder if they work for guinea pigs.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

I think I need one too! I tried vacuuming my big dog (Shiba Inu) and he runs away too. Even when I catch him his hair is so thick that it won't come off with the vacuum :dunno:

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 16, 2008

I got my furminator in today and it is awesome! I have gotten so much hair off of Lizzie, it is unbelievable. Does anyone know how it works on short haired dogs? My dad has a chihuahua who sheds on everything. He's thinking of getting one, too.