Pet Health Insurance?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yellowdaisies, Jan 10, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 10, 2014

Does anyone have health insurance for their pets? Is it worth it? How much does it cost and what does it cover?

We have two cats. A pricey surgery next week for one of them (bladder stone removal) is making me wonder if it might be a good idea to get some insurance for them.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2014

The insurance plans I looked into had far too many exclusions in the fine print.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2014

If you can afford the Expensive policy, then it works well ... But if you just buy the cheapest one, it's more cost effective to put away a bit of money each month into a savings account.

My friend had the expensive policy and was covered well when a need arised. Whereas I, with my cheap policy, did not get worthwhile coverage when the needed.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 10, 2014

Exclusions as in they didn't cover certain procedures/costs?

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 10, 2014

Ok, that makes sense. Did you get rid of yours because it wasn't worth it? Do you know what the monthly price points were for each of those? I can't even guess.

I am considering the savings account approach. I just figured I would check about this first.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2014

Yes, and depending on the premium you choose to pay, there are cost ceilings for each condition. For example, my dog was poisoned (by raisin ingestion) which caused kidney failure. Since it was a poisoning, the policy covered about $150 (their standard poisoning coverage) ... But did not cover any of the treatment which cost over $2000.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2014

I did cancel mine because I couldn't afford the higher premium for the better coverage. If I had a bit more money coming in, I would maintain a more expensive policy for emergencies.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 10, 2014

:eek: Yikes.

This is kind of confirming my suspicious about pet health insurance, unfortunately. We already had a $300 vet visit with xray/urinalysis, and now he has the $1500+ surgery coming up. I would really hate to be paying into insurance monthly and not be sure whether or not big things will even be covered. I think we will start paying monthly into savings for pet emergencies instead.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2014

Right. Like a lot of the most common ailments such as hip issues and so forth.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 11, 2014

I agree with having a savings account instead, even having recently spent on a LOT (a lot!) on vet care. We had insurance a while back and gave up on it because it wasn't worth it. If you look into specific policies, read the fine print. I'd look at the pre-existing condition rules especially. There are policies that consider any issue that started the previous year a pre-existing condition, even if you were covered during that period. So if your dog gets cancer in December, it will no longer be covered in January. I don't think all policies have this issue, but it's very common.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 11, 2014

That's nuts, but I'm not surprised.

One of our cats has bladder issues I guess - he's had UTIs and now the bladder stones - so I was kind of thinking they would count that as a preexisting condition, which would make it useless anyway.

Thanks everyone! :)

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 11, 2014

If you don't have a pet water fountain, get one! It won't cure bladder/kidney issues, but it might help. I have the fountain in the kitchen and water in two other rooms. I've noticed they drink more from the fountain than anywhere else. One of the other water bowls is in the room they hang out in most during the day so it's not a location issue.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 11, 2014

You may have tried this, but I have heard that many cats can't or won't drink enough water to prevent bladder/kidney issues and they need the supplement of regular wet food to compensate. Not all cats, but might be worth a shot if you're not feeding wet already. :)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2014

I started a thread on this back in 2011. I think it's important, but when I had my dog, I never got it like I'd tell myself to look into from time to time.

Ironically, when my dog suddenly got sick, I looked into it thinking that I might need to pay some hefty vet bills fast & the day the insurance went info effect is when he died (quite suddenly over the course of about 5 or 6 days). It's been almost a year ago now, so I'm not positive, but I believe I had signed up with VPI.

I'd definitely get it for my next dog. You can also look at the other thread here:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=147850&highlight=pet+insurance

16. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 11, 2014

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2014

Thanks for posting. I'll bookmark this site to maybe sign up for the next dog I get!

18. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2014

May I ask which level policy to you use (bronze, silver, gold). And have you used it yet and gotten enough financial benefit to justify the yearly/monthly cost?

19. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 11, 2014

Oh yes, for sure. I have the silver plan that covers 80% with a $200 annual deductible. It costs me less than $400 a year or around $33 a month. It covers vet visits, medications, ultrasounds, MRI, CAT scans, surgery and even kennel/boarding fees. Totally worth very penny.

20. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 11, 2014

This has been my experience as well.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 11, 2014

Which one do you use? I live in a really small apartment so I've always thought the sound of constant running water would drive me insane. This cat has actually always been good at drinking water...or so we thought. We definitely would consider it.

We've totally switched him to wet food. Our other cat has always eaten a combination of wet and dry, but this is THE pickiest cat in the entire world. He would ONLY eat one particular brand of dry food for a couple years. He wouldn't eat wet food of any kind. He wouldn't even eat dry food out of a new bag until it had a couple of days to air out. :dizzy: We have JUST recently been able to get him to eat wet food, but he will still only eat one kind. We are working on it. (As a side note, he also won't eat any kind of cat treats or any kind of meat - chicken, beef, tuna, etc. He is interesting. lol)

Looks like it would be about $17 a month per cat. Forgive me for my complete confusion - 80% reimbursed means that we are responsible for the total cost until they reimburse us? That's quite a bit different than human health insurance. I wonder how many months we would have to wait for that. If that is the case, I may want to just have a pet savings account for vet emergencies..