Pet eye infections

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by katerina03, Jul 26, 2005.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

You guys quit talking about your cats!!!!!!!!!(jk ;) ) I am soooooooooo jealous and want mine back! My husband is glad she's gone, but oh, I can so relate to your kitty stories.........there's just something about cats! Sassy as they are, you gotta love em! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

2. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Kinderkids, They are cute for sure...but take up alot of time. Mine go outside to play in the early morning and then when we come home from work. The 2 long haired ones come back covered with green pickers that I have to help them get off. I have to brush them daily, give them fresh cold water twice daily or drizzle faucets for them, pretend to fill their food dishes even though they are already filled...(it's all in their heads), vacuum up hair balls, wash them off as needed, clean their ears, noses, kiss them, lay on the floor and play, take them to the vet as needed, be sure they have an open window(each of them) to look out, one of them likes sour cream, none of them like canned food right now but I have to occasionally open a can just so they quit staring at me and then I have about 25 cans of opened cat food in the frig by the end of the week, I have to wash the blankets that cover the couch and chairs weekly,,,,are you sure you miss your cat???!!!! Of course I would.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Boy, grammy teacher,...........your cats sound a lot like my boys! LOL! :) Sometimes I feel like it is a zoo at my house.........3 kids, two dogs, two parrots, one husband! But if I could, I'd add a cat to that list! Call me crazy, but I think I'd always find room in my heart for another little furball!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

When our kids were little we always had a couple of cats and we had our good old dog. When the kids friends would come over, they would comment how much they like the animals all over the house! It was and still is ... home. EVeryone liked to come to our house...very laid back and comfy. Sounds like you have that kind of house.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Oh yes, we definitely have a home, not a house! Many of our neighbors have no pets, so they too often come over to visit ours. I always bring my creatures to school the last day for my school kids to meet. I talk about them all the time, so they feel like they know them already! We even used to have a bearded dragon......but he was creepy, so I asked my daughter to find another home for him. My daughter used to work at a grooming/boarding home for pets.......she wanted to bring everything home! I think I am making up for having parents who only thought pets should live outside.......they wouldn't have touched foot in our house growing up! How sad! And both of my parents grew up on farms! Animals just make me happy.........there is something about that unconditional love they give to you!

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Our cat eats chips! His favorite are Pringles. Wont eat meat, but he'll eat chips. He also thinks he's still a small kitten that can fit on my pillow at night. I'll wake up to my head pushed off of the pillow and him licking my hair!!!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I have found that some people who grew up on a farm don't want pets in their houses....and some don't want pets at all. They grow up thinking of them as "farm animals" and think they belong outside like the cows, etc. I feel sorry for them to think that they are missing out on the personalities of these furry little critters.
    My son brought home an iguana one time. They are ALOT or work and they really stink when they potty(or should I say explode!) We had this guy for a long time and he would climb and jump, hiss and slam his tail around!
    The other curious critter we had was a white rat. He was very tame and very sweet.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I've heard that rats make really great pets. I don't think I could have one of those, they are also on my list of creepy! I think it is their tails. My husband mentioned he wouldn't mind having a rat, but I think I'll pass on it. I know they are extremely intelligent! You hit the nail on the head about those who grew up on farms......that is exactly what my dad said about animals.....they all should be outside. I think my mom would love one in the house, but she's been married 56 years and I don't see it happening any time soon!
    Jen, my dogs love pringles too, and popcorn.......they go crazy for popcorn!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Our dog loved marshmallows more than anything...the minute I opened the bag he was there and I would throw a couple high into the air for him to jump at...so cute...I miss having a dog but my husband is not a dog person(they require so much attention and care) , but he does love the cats and is really good to them. I catch him talking to them all the time!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Man is this all we have to do on a Friday night?! We should go out and party...ahahhahahahaha
    I guess it's o.k. though. I put in my 40 hours so it's time to relax.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Thats the truth.......how sad :( My daughter is working, and my hubby and boys are at AirVenture EAA, so instead of reading, or cleaning, or whatever........ here I am! I lead such an exciting life..... :p

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I have a rat for a school pet. Actually I had two, but I lost one of them about March. They are wonderful pets. The males, I think, were easier to deal with overall. The kids love them. Lizzie loves Sugarbaby (the one that is visiting for the summer). She will lay on top of the tank and watch her run around. Sugarbaby will stretch out and sniff Lizzie stem to stern!
    I bought a new trunk at Hobby Lobby yesterday (great sale on them if you are looking for one, got a nice sized one - $80 value for $26). She has claimed it as hers. She is sprawled on it relaxing. Of course she has already checked out the inside!
    Grammy, I agree with the laying on whatever you are reading. Lizzie has sprawled all over the papers I am grading, the pattern I am pinning or cutting out, or the gift I am wrapping. My friends and family have joked about finding cat hair in their gifts. I tell them that is just Lizzie's contribution! :D

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Christy,
    I love Hobby Lobby! I didn't know those were nationwide!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I love Hobby Lobby, too. Of course Lizzie would claim the trunk...who else would you buy it for?! oh yea the gift wrapping is quite a trick with these guys around "helping." Christmas time I try and wait till they are asleep but they ALWAYS know when I start wrapping. They tear the paper and grap the tape as I try to put it on the package. They are obsessed with the tape.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Regarding Friday night...this is as exciting as it gets around here this weekend. Our grandson is away and my husband is out back making his silly little campfire, listening to music.Yahoo!

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

Our animals have it made. What a nice and easy life.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I guess we got off track from your cats eye infection. After several posts later....... how is she doing, by the way?

18. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

Well, we never had to take her to the vet on Thurs because on Tuesday night we put neosporine in her eye and the next day it was normal. We put more in on wednes. just to be sure. My husband puts it in his eyes after a "flash" when welding, so he figured it would help her.
    Her "real" vet doesn't get back from vacation til MOnday so I will have him check her out then.

19. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

Some good did come from Ellie's eye problem-We all got to get to know the animal lover in eachother. This thread has touched my heart.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Ditto :D
    And glad to hear she is doing better, too! :)

21. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

Thank you very much!

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I thought that was just Lizzie. I'm glad to know that is normal. If I get a package in and the tape is sticking up, she'll just start chowing down on it.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

This is one of the best threads ever. I think teaching kids to love animals is one of the best things we can do for them. My grown boys are animal loves. One has a kitty in his apartment that he adores and the other has a big dog that has been his best buddy for years. Just think of all the things kids can learn from having pets, providing the parents TEACH then how to care for them. Glad little kittys eye is better.
    Yea, Christy, the tape thing is funny. It must wiggle just right or something!

24. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

I agree Grammy. I actually got one of my kittens from a student when I was student teaching last year. He was this extreme under achiever and very quiet, so I was glad I got to know him better. So when I got this kitten I asked the students to help me name her. One student came up with "Ellie" and I liked that a lot. When I got my 3rd cat about 6 weeks ago, we went to pick it up and it was another student I met while subbing. The best part about being a teacher is that you know about every kid you see. Since I've subbed K-12, I can't go anywhere in that town without knowing everyone. I have not subbed in the dictrict I live in yet, so I don't know too many kids in my neigborhood.

That may be a good thing.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

Katarina I am glad Ellie is doing better! Neosporin must be the vet's secret, I'll remember to try it! I wouldn't have thought of putting it in her eye. Thanks for passing on the tip!

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Katerina, is it the regular Neosporin that you can buy at Wal Mart? I didn't think you could put that in eyes?

27. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

To be honest----I got it at the dollar store, but it has the very same active ingredients.

28. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

I swear her eye was better within 5 hours!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Well, I have no problem with the Dollar Store...I am just surprised that it is safe for eyes?

30. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

Me too! But my husband- a real country boy- has been doing this for years!

31. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

I am finally a veteran member thanks to the post above!!Yippee!

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2005

Congrats! :D

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

Lest we romantacize being owned by a cat too much, there is nothing like staying up late, heading for bed exhausted, and then finding that your furry companion has yacked up a hairball in the middle of your bed. The bed I was too lazy to make this morning. The bed I have now changed the sheets on. Of course I am only having to wash the sheets, If I had made the bed I would be adding my summer quilt to the wash, too.
    She does it just to remind me who's boss. (I brush her, feed her hairball food and how does she repay me? Yack city!)
    Of course she was hidden until I finished the bed. She is now enthroned in the middle of all my pillows washing herself (read this as...stocking up on ammunition again!)
    *sigh* Good night all!

34. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

My cat has haven't threw up a hairball on my bed yet (I have 3 cats ands only one ever coughs them up-she is very long a haired) I guess it is only a matter of time before she does. She's only 2, so she'll get around to it. I usually feed her the hairball treats and it keeps her from getting them, but i've been forgetting them lately at the store.

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

We at one time had two. Our orange one was the only one to throw the hairballs up, but that was because he use to clean the black one and act like it's mommy (even though they were both males...hum...it even use to lick him "there"...it raised a couple questions). Now that our orange one is gone, our black one has to clean himself, thus, throwing them up all over. They usually end up in the worst of places...carpeting, in the bed. The thing that sucks about the bed is that the comforter blends in with the hairballs and puke, so one night as I was laying watching tv, I went to go cover myself up, felt something crunchy, and there it was. Eek!

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

katerina, my husband is a big country boy as well.

37. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

The funny thing, my husband tries to be hip and cool, but he grew up country-so did I, and it's just silly. I tell him all the time, you can take the boy out of the country but you can;t take the country out of the boy. I like country boys, I wish he'd embrace his hilly-billy side more :)