Pet eye infections

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by katerina03, Jul 26, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Hello, I have a question and any info is appreciated. My cat-Ellie in avatar, has an eye that started leaking on Saturday. It wasn't swollen or anything so we just figured maybe she got a small scratch from playing with the kitten. Today it is started to swell and puss. She is acting fine though (playing, eating, etc. )
    I called the vet and he can not see her until Thurs. :( I made the appt anyway. I am going to call urgent animal care when they open at 6pm. this evening, and if they won't see her then I will take her to the appt on Thurs. My question is, has this happened to any of your pets? If so, was the problem solved with an antibiotic and was it expensive? I love my kitty and hate to see her like this.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

My cat had a similar incident. Her left eye was running and matted. It of course happened over the weekend. I had the same thought as you, something in or on her eye. I wrapped her in a towel and rinsed her eye (she was pretty good throughout). I brought her to the vet that Monday and he said it was simply conjunctivitus. He gave me a cream to put in her eye several times a day. He didn't charge me for the cream.
    It turned out that all of it came from a knot above her eye which she got from chasing Christmas lights and slamming into the Christmas tree pole!
    Warning, he put a yellow dye in her eye to check for damage to the retina (I believe) and it stained everything it touched! The nurse told me to go home and wipe her eye with a warm, wet paper towel.
    Good luck!! She is a beauty!!!

4. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Thank you so much for that valuable info. Your story about your cat is hilarious! :D I know the visit will be $23. I will let you know if I get charged for the cream . I really don't care, just want my girl to get better. Thanks again! By the way, what is your cats name?

5. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I love your Kitty, I hope everything is ok.

6. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I have 2 cats, and my boy cat was doing that. The doc says that it is allergies and It should go away on its own, or like Christy said it could be conjunctivitus. Try not to worry too much, but trust me, I know how much you love those little fuzzy guys! I do!
    These are pics of my 2 fur babies when they were kittens (they are a yr old now):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

They are sooo adorable! My kitty is much bigger now than the avatar shows. She is a big girl. I can't wait to get her to the vet so she will be her normal self again. I just hope it doesn't cost me too much because my "real child" will be 18 next month and I am trying to save for his B-day.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

All these kitty pics are driving me crazy...they are all so adorable! I have 3 big babies so I know how you feel. Until you can take you kitty to the vet, wash her eye with a warm cotton ball, gently wiping it and hold it on the eye for a few seconds if she will let you. They liken it to when their mamas washed them as babies and find it very soothing, plus it keeps it nice and clean.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

My girl's name is Lizzie. She is pretty big. She's tall and long and likes her food. Here's a picture of her

10. trickyvicky02

trickyvicky02 New Member

Jul 26, 2005

my cat

i like cats too. i do have a question. i have a 5 year old male cat who has recently started doing #1 anywhere in the house he wants to. can anyone tell me why he is doing this. he has been neutered awhile.

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

yes, tonight I wrapped her in a towel so my husband could clean her eye. She was so calm when he did it. I thought she'd try to kick and get away, but she was unbelievably cooperative.The past few days she let me wipe a little then she would try to get away. So I was proud of my middle child. Katerina is the older sister and Roofus is the youngest.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

ahhhhhhhhhh.......those kittys are all so adorable. It makes me so sad because we had to get rid of mine about a year ago because my son had too bad of allergies.......the bottom one of teacher62604 looks just like my Lily....sniff sniff :(

13. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Lizzy looks like a sweetie pie!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

Possible a urinary tract infection ... which requires he sees a vet right away. My older male cat has had that twice and the last time it was so bad they had to do surgery. He was squatting all over the house. They sometimes get it if they don;t drink enough water. Have him checked.

15. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 27, 2005

I have two kitties. The older one is an orange tabby named Cinnamon. The younger one is a black guy named Espresso. I had to put my third baby to sleep last year. She was 19 and had been with me through my first disastrous marriage and many other life changes. I have no kids so my cats are my babies.

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 27, 2005

I know it has to be devastating to have a pet that long and have to put it to sleep. I few years ago I had to find a new home for my Pomeranian because he had such a nervous condition, so I wanted him to have a home with much older adults who could give me a much quieter and child free home. I interviewed people who called me after seeing the add and I did turn down the ones who did not fit the personality I wanted for my baby. When I handed my dog over I was so devasted and cried for days. i prayed that I would see him again. Funny thing is, I remembered the car of the poeple that drove him away and I saw the car in a nearby town months later. I stopped into to see him and the people told me I could stop anytime. I only did twice, I just needed to know he was OK.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I trust people who are animal lovers. To me it is an indication of "character." I feel that anyone who can love an animal is a good person because they are not expecting anything in return....except for some company) now and then.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

TOUCHE' (and lots of unconditional love to go with that company) :)

19. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2005

My dog is my baby. My now-hubby got him for me during my first year of teaching. He moved with me 4 or 5 times. He can read my mind and I can read his. He understands everything we say. We've gotten to where we have to SPELL words, like you do with a child. Especially B-A-T-H. When I was growing up, animals were not allowed in the house. I never would have thought I'd have a dog in my bed someday. Yesterday morning, I rolled over and I discovered he had his head on my pillow. We were nose to nose. My mom grosses out when she hears something like that. But he lies there like a person with his head on the pillow and his body stretched out. That's if he can squeeze and sneak in sometime during the night!

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Amanda,
    That is soooooo funny about your dog in your bed. Both of my parents would be grossed out by that too......when I grew up, dogs were only outside. Even though my kitty is gone, I still have two dogs, one which insists on sleeping in our bed. ONly he doesn't nuzzle nose to nose, he dives under the covers and sleeps on my feet like a little foot warmer. I guess that is something common for Italian Greyhounds......he' weird! And I know what you mean about having to spell words......we do that too! :)

21. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Oh, it is so great to meet other animal lovers. I too like Amanda, besides having the same name, also was not allowed to have pets as a child. So the first thing my husband & I did when we got married was go get our two kittens. (well, not really the 1st thing - but you get the picture ha ha!) Anyway, about 3 months after we were married a friend of mine called me up and told me her cat had just had a litter of 5 kittens. So we went over there once the kittens were old enough and snagged the only boy & one of the sisters. BTW, I don't think I told you thier names. The first picture is of Bender (He is the boy, and VERY lovable. He practically begs to be held and purrs instantly). The 2nd picture is of his sister Tiger. She is somewhat more independent than Bender, but she still likes cuddling a little now and then. My husband really has bonded with her. Well, anyway just thought I'd share. Take Care.
    [​IMG]

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

A good friend of mine has 2 golden retrievers that live with her (along with her husband and her youngest son). They are too funny and think they are people. Lucy is the oldest (around 8). If you tell her to go get her pup she goes immediately to the youngest son. She truly thinks he is her puppy.
    I want a dog so bad I can't stand it! I won't get one for outside, it will have to be an inside dog. The apartment doesn't have a fenced yard and comes right out on the highway.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

My son has rather large dog that looks alot like a Holstein cow(black and white spots.) When his son was born, exactly a year ago this week, we all wondered how the dog would react. Well, she thinks the baby is her puppy! She sleeps in his room and ever since the baby started crawling, the dog has let him crawl all over her, pull at her her, and lay on her. It is adorable to see.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I love your animal stories and what fun to share our experiences. One of our cats sleeps on the kitchen counter in a basket. The basket was supposed to be for our mail, but he insists it's his bed. My mom has a fit when she comes to my house. When the kids were little and we had our dog(who we had her whole life), she was allowed to sleep wherever she wanted, usually stretched the whole length of the couch. When I was little, our dogs had dog houses and slept outside. I see no point in having a dog if they can't come in and be a part of the family.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

My dogs had the dog houses outside too.....we had beagles and they always spent more time on top of the dog house than in it....just like Snoopy. I think Charles Shultz had to of had a beagle, he captured their personalities so well in his Peanuts cartoons. I think that is why I love Snoopy so much!

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

True! One thing my dad always did was make the dog house roofs flat...so they could lay on them. All of our dogs did that! even tho' they kept them outside most of the time, they "fussed" over them. Their houses were insulated with flaps on the front and in the daytime they would open the flaps up for them. They got to come in and eat supper and have treats with us. We always loaded up the dog when we went on family camping trips...also took the cat! One time my dad decided to get donkeys and we lived in town...so no place to keep them right away....so he put them in our backyard in a fenced in area! Just imagine looking out your window seeing your neighbor with donkeys in his backyard! He was so crazy.

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

LOL, Grammy that is too funny. Lizzie has taken over my mail basket, as well. She will actually burrow and throw the mail out so it isn't in her way. There's no doubt who the boss is around here! :crosseyed

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Ha...cute little LIzzie. I can't even brush my teeth without my big red cat jumping up to the sink for a drink under the faucet.

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

Yeah, that was a surprise when it first happened, but I'm use to it now, brush, pick up the cat, spit, rinse, put her back. I brought her some catnip the other day, she keeps finding the bowl and rubbing all over it. Cats are so funny with their personalities. It is a whole new experience having one inside with me.

30. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 28, 2005

It is great entertainment to hear your stories. I have loved animals with a passion since I read the book "Scruffy" when I was 12 about an abandoned dog living on the mean streets. I cried so hard I thought I die. My husband and I have always been dog lovers, just a few years ago (after inheriting my mother in law's cat after she died of cancer) we became cat lovers. But I love all animals. I can't even watch"Animal Cops" on "Animal Planet" because it is too depressing for me. They should be much harder on people who ause and neglect their pets.

31. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

We had this same problem with one of our cats. This was our situation, don't know if yours is the same...We had this particluar cat for 5 years (an orange male tiger stripped cat), his name was Teddy. He was VERY territorial. He also had been neutered since he was a kitten. When we bought our first house we noticed that there were many neighborhood cats roaming about. I don't have a problem with letting cats run around outside, but I don't agree with letting them roam the streets of the city. These cats (about 6 in all) would always come up to our porch and in our yard. Teddy would see these cats and FREAK OUT at them. He slowly started peeing in the house to mark his territory. First in the basement, and then it came upstairs in all corners of the house. I understand that he was only protecting his home, but we tried to do whatever it took and nothing worked. We ended up taking him back to the animal shelter where we originally got him from (it was a no-kill shelter) and 1 month later he got adopted.

Here is another situation. My aunt and uncle had two cats. One looked just like our Teddy. He had this condition that left him unable to pee, and when he did, it just came out anywhere he happened to be (in the bed, on the couch, etc.). He had these things called crystals that were forming in his urinary tract system (I think that's where). Anyways, first they had to do surgery on him-$250-to remove the crystals so he could pee. This wasn't a guarantee either. It was a 50/50 chance that it would work. Well, it didn't. They had two options: #1, put him down because it was very painful for him to live like that, or #2, spend $2,000 to give him a s-e-x- change operation. I'M NOT KIDDING! When the crystals didn't go away, the only thing left for them to do is take away his "male parts" and turn him into a female. Needless to say, my aunt and uncle are not well off and didn't have the money, so he had to be put down being in so much pain.

Hope these two situations are not like yours and maybe he just has a bladder infection, or like grammy teacher said, a urinary tract infection, which could be the case. Take him to the vet and have him checked out. If you let it go ti could get that much worse and he could eventually die if left untreated. It could be just that. His name isn't Teddy from Wisconsin is it ;) .

32. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 28, 2005

Half the time, I need to go brush my teeth in the other bathroom because my big orange cat is sleeping in our sink. He likes the cool feel of the porcelain (you can tell who is boss in our house). My animals are very spoiled.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

What is it about orange cats?! Our sleeps in the round bathroom sink, too!

34. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

That is so true. Our orange cat always use to do strange things. He also use to take running leaps off of the chair and ram himself against the wall on purpose! I thought he was mentally challenged for awhile!

35. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 28, 2005

Have to join in with the kitty stories. I have four!! not that I wanted four it just ended up that way. My three girls are older, the oldest my daughter has had since 6th grade! They are "stately", spoiled rotten, have the run of the house, (they do not go out), and have more toys than most children! Then, we got Boo-Boo. Not by choice, but a rescue. He is male. The ladies do not like him, they tolerate him only. He is full of the devil, loves to play and eat. My daughter takes him to the library when she goes to work, and he has the run of the place. He sleeps on the librarians' desk!
    I wish I had pictures to show, but have none scanned in my computer. If there is life after death I want to come back as a pampered house cat!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  36. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

Kat, Those are great sites!!! Yes, I am definately owned by our 3 cats. They make me late for work all the time because they want things(treats or catnip as I'm going out the door...I LOVE one about the 'fur'-niture!!!

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

P.S. I have to keep an old fuzzy blue bathrobe on our bed at all times because my orange cat thinks it is his "mama" and he KNEADS it (ya know, with the front paws and purrs his heart out!

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

No, I didn't buy a video tape of fish swimming to entertain my cat. How silly!!!
    I bought her a tank of real fish swimming! :D
    Considering the fact that I am typing one handed as she lays sprawled over my shoulder, there is no doubt who is owned here.
    I have to add, she drives my parents crazy when they keep her while I'm gone. She'll go missing (she doesn't go outside) and they panic, eventually they find her laying in the bathtub giving them a very superior look. ooops! :angel:

40. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

hehe, i had to put down a book I was reading the other night and nearly pull my arm out of socket reaching for to turn the lamp off, because my one of my cats went to sleep on the book-while I was trying to read.

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Sometimes I like to read the newspaper all spread out on the floor. It never fails, a cat will saunter on over and lay spread a mile long on it. Then I am done reading. I would never dream of moving him!
    When my kids were younger and living at home, if one of us was holding a cat on our lap when the phone rang, we were not expected to get up. We announced rather loudly and profoundly, "I'm holding a CAT!"