Pertussis commercial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jul 7, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

Does anyone else HATE the whooping cough/pertussis vaccine commercial? I don't know about you guys, but they are playing here on every channel at every commercial break. Just a poor baby coughing and gasping for air. And then I noticed today that if you look in small print at the end, the commercial is sponsored by the vaccination company. Not saying you shouldn't get it, but I feel like they are trying to capitalize on people's panicking.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

I actually have to change the channel it bothers me that much. I am not a fan of putting that sound out there over and over again. My son has asthma and hearing a baby struggle to breath repeatedly hurts.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

I haven't seen it. Then again, I'm watch very little TV.

But, honestly, I can't imagine why people need to be reminded to get a pertussis vaccination for their kids.

If a little panic will prevent an epidemic of something we know how to prevent, then I'm OK with a little panic.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

I haven't seen the commercial, but when my son was born 2 years ago, I know that there was a huge comeback of pertussis. A lot of people stopped getting the vaccinations and we've had a lot more cases of it here in the US. They were also starting a new campaign asking the adult family members of new babies to get vaccinated to help keep from bringing it home to the infants. I got the vaccination before I ever left the hospital with my son... you didn't *have* to get it, but it seemed silly to opt out and then maybe pass it on to my new baby, who was born in the middle of winter.

So.... like I said, I haven't seen the commercial. But with a rise in the disease, maybe parents DO need to be reminded that it's not a good thing and that it can be prevented.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

It is an awful commercial. My lil ones ask why is the baby coughing.

Alice... it's sad that there are many who pass & it makes it's way around. I know earlier this summer or late spring our lil one had a cough & called to talk to a nurse. She said it was going around...luckily that's not what we we had, but still scary!!!

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

I have a student who is pregnant, and she saw this commercial and got really worried. So we emailed our school nurse, who is just amazing, and here was her response:

There has been an epidemic of pertussis among older children, teens etc. In the past, they were only required to have the P part of the DPT up to their 4 year old shots. After that, they received just a Td. In all my career, I had never seen pertussis until a few years ago when we started seeing intermediate and high school students getting it. ... There was an uptick with infants because they are not fully immunized until about 6 months to a year and were catching it from older siblings and parents. For older kids and adults it is a fairly mild disease only causing a long lasting cough. It was frequently misdiagnosed because doctors weren't looking for it. For babies, it can be fatal. So, as of a few years ago, new immunization requirements are for older kids and adults to get the Tdap.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

bandnerd... great advice...

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

I hate the commercial too and didn't notice it was sponsored by the pharmaceutical company-hmmm.

That's what they thought I had several years ago (that's whooping cough right?). I was coughing from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day. Went from doctor to doctor-finally someone said that's what it was, however, it was too late to do anything about it. I'm fine-but it wasn't fun. I got the tetanus (TDAP) shot last year as part of my physical (which I also think people should keep current) and it was included in that. I guess especially working around young kids-probably not a bad idea.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

I haven't seen the commercial, and I have never heard of pertussis. :unsure:

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Oh, I just read Kinder's post...whooping cough. Now I follow. :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

There is a disturbing trend in which families don't get their kids innoculated. The fear is the chemicals in some of the shots and the pacing of the shots leads to developmental delays and autism (there is no long term research supporting this but some pediatricians will work with parents in stretching out the time periods between shots and giving shots free of the questionable chemicals). According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the incidence of whooping cough is on the rise and has increased tenfold in the last few years. Young children are most susceptible to its effects. Thousands of children are hospitalized each year and some even die – usually the youngest patients. This is why the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that your child get his first DTaP shot at age 2 months. The commercial may be disturbing but the rise of this very preventable disease is even more so disturbing.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

Cza... that is true... I do delay some by a few months so that they don't have to get like 5 in one day.

14. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

We had an outbreak of it almost two years ago, in my area. A lot of people on the south end of the island don't vaccinate their kids, and it spread up the island. One of my neighbors kids actually had it, and my daughter (1 year old at the time) was exposed, and we were exposed, which exposed my family and my husband's visiting grandparents. ALL of us had to go on preventative antibiotics. This was just 3 days after I had gotten the vaccine booster, thinking -- I work with kids, this would be a good idea to update!

I remember the annoying pediatrician (not our usual one, whom I just LOVE) talking down to us, telling us how important it is to get vaccinated (as we were there for the vaccine). My thinking was "Hey, dude, I am here getting it, OBVIOUSLY I know it's important. Why else do you think I am here!?!?!?!?!" I wanted to yell at him for the way he was talking to us like we didn't know anything, but I held my tongue.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

While I agree with the message in the commercial, the commercial itself is way out of line.

The line that bothers me the most is "The most dangerous place for your baby could be in your arms".

If any other company used a tactic like that, I'd boycott their prouducts.

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

Is that the commercial where the Mom is holding her baby and they tell you that the baby can catch it from the Mom? I turn the channel, poor little baby, even though I know it's a commercial it bothers me.

17. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I hate the commercial! It is so heartbreaking to hear the baby coughing and gasping for air. I have to change the channel every time the commercial comes on.

The other commercial I can't watch are the ASPCA ones with all the sad cats and dogs.. totally heart breaking.. :(

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

The commercial is crappy, but the message is a good one. People, I had whooping cough 2 years ago, and it was the worst experience of my life. I missed so much school because I was so sick. I started getting sick around Thanksgiving, and by the time school was out I was starting to feel a little normal. Thank goodness, my kids didn't get it, but they had had their immunizations. My husband got it, but milder than me. We both had to have the test, and let me tell you, I'd rather have my toenails yanked out than go through that again. I nearly took out a nurse it was so bad. Plus, my test came back negative, which is something that can happen when you've had it for a while (they didn't test me until 2 months in, long story). DH's was positive, and since our symptoms were the same, that's how they diagnosed me. We all probably had our DTaP when we were young, or maybe a booster when we went to college, but you HAVE to get the booster every 10 years. Please, check your records, and get this shot. It was horrible for me, I can't imagine having a child go through it.

Oh, and at the hospital where I had my son, they won't discharge the baby until the mom and dad have had a booster. (I don't know what they would do if someone refused...)

19. Truth

Truth Guest

Jul 13, 2010

The Swine Flu panic is over, now we are in the midst of the pertussis panic.

Google search: "Beware whooping cough vaccine scam" and check out the link with the title "Beware whooping cough vaccine scam - misc.activism.progressive ..."

YouTube search: "Bill Gates Admits Vaccines Are Used for Human Depopulation"

2 Timothy 1:7