Persuasive writing for school improvement?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by curiouslystrong, Oct 31, 2013.

1. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Oct 31, 2013

My 8th grade students recently had an interesting discussion in which they expressed a desire to improve the school; the specific improvements that they mentioned are expensive (i.e. they'd like an area better suited to having recess, as right now recess takes place in a parking lot and I know that they feel it has the potential to be dangerous). I know that in the past they've done assignments in which they've created proposals to improve things, but the problem is that nothing has ever come of any of it...and that's left them feeling frustrated. I'd like to use this as the basis for a writing project, but I also don't want it to end up being a dead-end, largely fruitless project like it has been in the past. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2013

Research grants that might fund the improvements yor students are seeking. Or decide upon one focused plan and write letters to area businesses seeking materials to bring the plan to fruition....get admin approval before either of these actions.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 31, 2013

I did something similar with my second grade class except it was making changes in the town. After their letters were written we visited the mayor's office where each student read their letter. She was so impressed that she invited several students to read their proposals to the town council. ( she chose those that had the possibility of being acted upon) One idea actually came to fruition! Perhaps you could have your students present to the superintendent and then the school board.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2013

I've done this a few times and money is never the issue.

Red tape and union policies are. My kids wanted to paint a mural on my classroom wall. They had my approval and my principals. We couldn't get approval above that because painting is someone else's job. They wanted to plant a garden. We were told no by the district and not given any reason.

I'll still do it just to show them that it is worth trying to fix things even if you get stopped along the way.