Persuasive letter writing: letters of complaint???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Nov 11, 2007

My students have to write letters of complaint this week....the reading book suggests 2 ideas, choose a situation that bothers them such as a dirty park or lack of bike paths. I don't know if my students in our rural school can relate to these topics very well, and I am brain dead as usual. Can anyone suggest any other things the students might be able to write a letter of complain about? (My first reaction is to the school and our nurse about the nasty healthy food choices they get served, or the lack of time they get to eat lunch, but I figure I won't win any points from the admin. if I let them do that!)

3. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Nov 11, 2007

If they write the letters in a respectful way and back up their requests with facts, they could be very powerful. Plus when does anyone ever win points for writing a complaint letter??

Another idea may be to write a letter to a toy manufacturer that made a toy they had that broke.

Maybe if it wasn't called a complaint letter, but a persuasive letter asking that something be changed.

4. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Nov 11, 2007

What about a letter to parents requesting:
    a later bedtime,
    a fun family outing,
    changing a chore they don't like,
    etc.

It would be a complaint followed by a suggestion of how to make it better.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2007

If you did do a persuasive letter about the poor health food choices or amount of lunch time, then you could take the lesson a step further present the letters to the admin or the board...if something is done because of their letters, that is a lesson very well learned.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 11, 2007

How about a letter asking for more opportunities to raise money for their class. With more fundraising opportunities, students could:
    participate in more field trips, buy more educational resources, and raise their test scores.