persuasive essay paragraph formation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Mar 17, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 17, 2009

How should a 5 paragraph persuasive essay be set up? Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2009

Who's writing it, and for whom?

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 17, 2009

it would be 6th/7th graders. it is tough to say for whom because this is preparing them for NJ state test. i want to come up with a basic format they can use when given a persuasive prompt...

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2009

Hi,

I dislike limits or maximums on writing pieces so I am not sure I agree with the 5 paragraph.

Read, Write, Think has some nice resources that would help you. I am sure they even have some very thorough lesson plans. I will check for you but for now, maybe this persuasive writing assessment (rubric) will help you with the elements of a persuasive piece.

http://www.readwritethink.org/lesson_images/lesson56/assessment.pdf

Another nifty thing they have is an online persuasion map. You could aways make a hard copy but the interactive version is cool. http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/persuasion_map/

I love their website. Let me check what they have as far as lessons.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2009

Check out that map for sure then. Be right back.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2009

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2009

Trouble is, lemon, chances are that the scorers are expecting something like The Five-Paragraph Essay.

Do your state's prompts usually specify an audience for whom the kids are writing? (If not, shame on the test makers.)

10. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Mar 17, 2009

Our state scorers are looking for the 5 paragraph essay for all of their prompts. We also have a maximum length requirement as well: 2 pages (as in a front and back of a single page). Students only have 3 45 minute periods to write from prompt to final draft.

Here is what we gave our students as guidelines:
    Paragraph 1: Grab readers attention. Last sentence is your thesis statement.
    Paragraph 2: Reason 1 xyz should happen. Be sure to address counterpoints
    Paragraph 3: Reason 2 xyz should happen. Be sure to address counterpoints
    Paragraph 4: Reason 3 xyz should happen. be sure to address counterpoints
    Paragraph 5: Summarize your main points. Last sentence should tell what you want to the reader to do or left thinking about.

This does give a very formulaic approach to writing the essay, but I found once students have a good grasp of this, then they can learn how to add the extra parts to make it an even better essay.
    I know this is very brief. PM me if you would like more details.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2009

Formulas definitely have their uses, fuzed_fizzion, don't they?

And it's not a bad skill to have, this being able to whip out four to five organized paragraphs on little notice. There are workplaces in which a banal but organized Five Paragraph Essay will be received like a gift from heaven...

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2009

Another approach would be to have the first paragraph as stated, making sure to really grab the reader's attention with the various hooks. Persuasive really lends itself to a strong factual statement with feeling.

The 2nd paragraph would be a point why the reader should feel the way the writer does. Many examples, strong passion, no sarcasm, no begging.

The 3rd paragraph of the essay would be a second point...same format, different point.

The fourth would present the counterpoints and address each one specifically. "You may feel..., however...." "Perhaps you have not..." Again, beware of sarcasm.

The fifth is the conclusion....I agree with what fuzzed fizzion says. Reiterate and leave the reader with an idea of where they can go or what to do with their new found information. Leave them thinking.

I also agree that once they've got the basics of what a persuasive essay should be, then they'll add voice to make it their own. (Unfortunately, some of my fifth graders have a whiny voice!)

13. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 18, 2009

thank you thank you thank you!