Personally Dropping Off Resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AJordan25, Jun 7, 2016.

1. AJordan25

AJordan25 Guest

Jun 7, 2016

I am a fairly new college graduate who is going through finding a teaching job for the first time and I am struggling a bit.

I have been thinking of personally taking my resume and cover letter to the schools that I am interested in, as well as know administrators who work there, even though there are currently no open positions.

Is that a good or bad idea?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2016

Mail them.

MrsC likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2016

I agree. We are in our last couple of weeks of school and our office, and our administrators, are insanely busy. Phones ringing, teachers with requests or questions, subs, parents registering their kids for next year, sick and/or injured students, deliveries, etc. Unless you are able to make an appointment beforehand, you will likely just end up handing your package to a very busy secretary.

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 7, 2016

I would say also check if the district allows prospective teachers reaching out to principals directly. The districts near me specifically say not to contact principals as HR makes the initial recommendations, and interested teachers will just be referred back to HR.

Good luck in your job hunt! :)

6. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

Do you know when school is out? As long as it is not the last day or two, I would personally visit the school. Even if you only meet 1-2 principals it can be worth it. I have seen a person get an interview and get hired because of that extra effort, and I got offered a second interview because of this.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 7, 2016

If school's out, I would walk in and hand them your resume! We got our first pile of resumes in April at a job fair--we've picked through the ones that interest us already. Our district people will be slow to get us resumes sent to them, and ones sent in via email/mail are nice, but face to face would be better. Anyone who showed the initiative to walk in and hand us one now would get our attention (but we don't have a super strict "don't contact the principal directly" policy in our district).