Personal vs. sick days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

I might not get a concrete answer to this question, since it might depend on the school.

I never understood the difference between sick and personal days. Consider the following scenarios...what days am I supossed to take?

- A doctor's appointment when I don't plan to return to school that day (if I leave early)
    - A doctor's appointment when I don't come to school at all
    - A 'mental health day'

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

We get 10 days per school year to use as personal or sick days...however we are only allowed to use 7 of those 10 as personal.

For doctor's appts. I would use a sick day. For mental health I would consider it personal.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

We get 10 sick days a year and 3 paid ( 1 unpaid) personal days to use for whatever. My secretary told me if you have a doctor's appointment it's a sick day, don't use your personal days for that. Also 5 of our 10 sick days can be used for family illness. Our personal days have to have preapproval of our principal.

5. missk83

missk83 Companion

Sep 5, 2009

We get 4 personal and 10 sick days. Sick days carry over from year to year, personal do not.
    I use personal for mental health days, or when I need off for an event. I use sick days when I am sick or have a Dr's appt. However, if it's, say April, and I have 3 personal days left, I would use personal days over sick days.
    We can save sick days up for maternity leave or way, way down the road to be "bought out" around retirement time.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2009

We get about 14 sick days per year. The number of personal days we get depends on how many sick days you took the year before. (0 sick days = 4 personal days. 1-2 sick days = 2 personal days. >2 sick days = 0 personal days. That's my understanding.) In my district, sick days carry over from year to year; personal days do not and are 'use them or lose them'.

Because we aren't penalized for using our personal days, I would take personal days for any planned absence--doctor's appointments, vacations, mental health days, whatever. I would only take sick days in the event of an illness. I guess we aren't really penalized for using the sick days, but we miss out on the reward of extra personal days. Do I make any sense?

In general, as far as which type of day you're 'allowed' to take for whatever reason....

My take is that personal days are much broader and cover pretty much every scenario, including illness, whereas sick days are meant for health-related absences--illness, visits to the doctor, sick kids, whatever. You'd never be wrong to take a personal day for any reason. However, you might not want to take a sick day for a trip to the vineyards or something....That might not be kosher.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

We get 12 sick days and 4 personal days.

I would claim all of those as sick days. We also get paid for our personal days, so it is nice to keep those unless you really need to use them!

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

We get 3 personal days and 13 sick days a year that can roll over each year to a maximum of 40 days. I currently have 40 sick days. Our personal days have to be pre-approved.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 5, 2009

We get 2 personal days (changes to 3 at some point, but since I'm not at that step yet, I'm not sure when) and 1 1/2 sick days a month. At the end of the year unused personal days change to sick days and are carried over with the rest of the sick days earned. Like the poster above, personal days must be pre-approved by administration. That being said, if we have a doctor's appointment we put it in as short-term leave which is the same as a sick day. A mental health day is just a day off, so it would be personal leave.

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

We are asked to do dr's appointments for checkups and such (non-emergency) after school hours, so sick days are when you or your family are sick and personal days are anything else. We get two which must be pre-approved by the principal out of our 12 days of sick time. Sick time carries over up to 90 days. I'd ask your secretary for your particular school.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2009

In my district, you have to put in paperwork 5 days ahead of taking a personal day. Pisces- your examples could be taken as either sick or personal in my district as we generally don't give a reason for our absence. We get 3 personal days and 10 sick days per year-neither of which I use much of. I should use my personals as they 'disappear' at the end of each year while sick days go into a 'bank' which can be used if needed or we get paid for unused sick days at retirement.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

If I had a dr's appt, I'd use a sick day. I'd use a personal day for a "mental health day" although I've never taken one of those.

We only get two personal days a year. They carry over from year to year, though. I don't think I've used many, unless I ended up dipping into them on my two maternity leaves.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2009

We get 20 sick days and no personal days.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

10 sick days each year that accumalte to 90. Sick are for appts and ill but may be used for almost anything.

2 personal days that you use or lose. Basically vacation days

5 emergency days for funerals, family members surgery, too much snow to commute, etc. If you need more, you use sick or personal days. Use them or lose them.

15. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

In my district we get 15 sick days and 3 personal days. The personal days do not roll over to the next year, so it's use them or loose them. The sick days accumulate over the years. (I have well over 100 days accumulated so far.) Eventually when you retire we get paid for a portion of those days. I'd use a doc. appointment as a sick day and save the personal days for something fun. You don't want to get caught at an amusement park if you took a sick day, you could get in BIIIIIG TROUBLE.

16. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

We get 20 sicks days and unused sick days carry over. We can also earn up to 3 EDOs a year and can use them for whatever we want, but they have to be preapproved. We also have bereavement leave days (5 for parents, siblings, children or grandparents, 3 for other relatives). We have 1 act of God day, and 1 personal day.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

We get 10 sick days a year. Two of those can be used as personal or sick days if you have been with the district less than 3 years. If you have been with the district more than 3 years, 3 of those days count as personal/sick days. Any days not used roll over to the next year, with the maximum of 90 days allowed. Over 90, you get paid for.

Personal days we do not have to tell them why we are taking off, just have it approved at least 2 days before. There are certain times of the year that they ask teachers not to take any days if possible (especially personal days).

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

Sick days are for anything medical and especially for last minute stuff. Personal days are for anything else and have to be approved ahead of time.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2009

I would take all of those as sick days. I even took the days I took off for my house closing and flooring installation as sick days.
    We have to pay $50 towards a sub if we take personal days. So, we never do unless we are out of sick days. My P is fine with it.
    Personal days turn into either Annual Leave (think this one) or sick days after a few years any way.

20. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

We get 10 sick days and 2 personal days a year. Personal days roll over into sick days if we don't use them. Our sick days carry over year to year -- last year a teacher at my school who had to take a medical leave the year before basically "retired" a year early because she had enough sick days saved up to use for the entire year. I've heard that our new contract doesn't allow this anymore.

Personal days have to be pre-approved. I think it's at least a week, preferably two. I've also heard that you better not be seen by the wrong people on a day that you took a sick day! Personally, last year I had a court issue (someone had tried to break into my car), and a friend was supposed to get married out-of-state, so I was planning on taking a personal day to fly to the wedding. That said, I took 1 personal day for the court, and called out sick another day for it because I thought I'd need my personal day for the wedding. It's not what you're supposed to do, but I felt that it was the best decision for me at the time. If you can, I'd try to use the sick days as much as possible for illness/medical reasons. I also try to schedule my doctors appointments for after-school hours or days that I'm off anyway. I really wouldn't try to use sick days for anything like vacation, because if anyone finds out, you could get in big trouble! I think some of this, though, depends upon the district --keep in mind, using a sick day when it's not related to medical --if you live in or near your district and someone could see you -- can get you into trouble. You can always ask your union rep, too, if doctors visits count as sick days or personal days.

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2009

Personally, I would use all three of yours as sick days. I get 12 sick, 3 personal each year. If I don't use my personal, they roll over to sick, and if I don't use any I can cash one in.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2009

NC doesn't have a union. If her county is anything like mine, this type of thing is not monitored.
    Like I said- I used a sick day when I closed on my house because I have to pay $50 towards a sub when using a personal day. My P is fine with this.

23. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

Ouch to the no union, and double ouch to having to pay out of your own pocket for a sub! I'm glad to hear that your principal is so nice!

24. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 6, 2009

We earn 1.5 sick days per month (no cap on accumulation...some teachers have a year's worth) You get paid a percentage of them at retirement. We have 3 personal days per year (they switch to sick days if unused at end of school year, we used to lose them, & before that were paid for unused.) Our sick leave request form you have to mark what it is for: personal illness, illness in family, death in family, & exposure to contagious disease. There is also space for you to identify dr seen if medical treatment was given. My p is pretty good about these. We can also take a 1/2 sick or even 1/4 sick day if the times are right.

Personal days have to be approved with 72 hours notice, no more than 10% of staff can be out on same day, and cannot be used to extend holidays (can't take before or after Labor Day as personal). Used to be limited that they couldn't be used for recreation or entertainment. Now that language is gone. I used one in the past b/c my new refridgerator was delivered, or other house improvements where I had to be home.

I'd use sick days for your 1st examples, anything with dr definitely goes for sick. Mental health would be personal I think, even though I've never taken one of those.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

We have 10 sick days, and 2 days that are for emergencies (personal days.) You do not need prior approval to take any of them unless you will be out for more than a week.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

At my last school we had 10 sick/personal days. We could use the days any way we wanted. Only drawback was that you could only accumulate 20 days, anything that would put you above 20 days they paid you for.

At my new school they don't have sick days. I was told if you are sick stay home. I didn't think to ask about personal days, those days that I know that I need off in advance. So much to do & think about starting at a new school!

27. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 6, 2009

We get 9 days per year that can be used as we see fit. They cannot be carried over, most of the time. Most of the teachers use all of their days.

In 21 years I have rarely used all of my days in one year. The times that I have had to be out for an extended period (husband's heart surgery, my own emergency surgery) our director has told me not to worry about it and has covered those "extra" days that I needed.

28. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Sep 6, 2009

We get 1 sick day/month and they roll over to the next year if they are unused. We also earn 0.2 personal days/month (so 2/year but you pay $50/day to use them--I'm also in NC). I know teachers who have been in my building for a long time who use sick leave to go on vacation, etc. but I'm a bit wary of using it for that.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2009

Here's how it works in my district.

We get 10 sick days per year. These are to be used for any kind of "illness-related" type of situation. Any unused sick days carry over to the next year, and they can be cashed in upon retirement. We can use 1/2 day AM or PM. I use them for illness, doctor appointments, medical tests, of illness for the immediate family. (I used two weeks last year when my dad was in the final stages of cancer.)

We get one personal day per year. They can be for anything we want, but we have to get the day pre-approved and there are certain "blackout" days. I used one after my wedding, one to take my masters comps, one to go on vacation with a friend, and one for one of DH's performances once. The rest of the time I let it roll over to a sick day the next year.

We get two emergency days per year. They are for things like funerals or other types of times when you aren't sick or having fun, but need to miss. I've taken my for funerals mostly, but I took one last spring to go to probate court. If we dont' use those, we lose them.

If we are out of days or the day doesn't qualify for one of those types of days, we have to take a deduct from pay day. I've never taken one of those.

I would assume that a "mental health day" would be a sick day. I've never taken one of those either.