Personal or Community Belongings?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

Do you have personal belongings (crayons, glue, scissors) or do you have community supplies?

I think mine varies year to year depending on the kids.:lol:

3. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 19, 2012

When I taught kindergarten we did community. Last year was my first year in preschool and we did individual. I haven't decided yet how I'd like to do it this year.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

I find it depends on the school. I worked at one school where community supplies were expected, then moved to a new school, and had several parents complain about community supplies. To the point that they wrote their child's name on individual crayons.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

:unsure:That's crazy! We are a private preschool, so we provide the supplies because they pay a supply fee. So, that helps with that issue at least. Parents don't have room to complain!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Wow! I can't imagine having that kind of time as a preschool parent... That's just amazing. :dizzy:

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Well, this was kinder, but apparently it's a pride thing in that community. Many of the parents at that school don't buy supplies for their kids, so the ones who do are very proud of it. If their child doesn't use the exact ones that they bought (or provided from a community supply drive) they get very upset. Their kids don't have many things that belong to them, and rarely get to feel ownership of anything. Crayons are small things, but they are theirs.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Well, that makes sense, Celia. I can understand that. I loved my box of crayons when I was a kid. I took very good care of my supplies and I hated sharing with kids who broke their crayons or tore the paper off.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

I do both. I provide containers on each group of desks for the children to use as they do group activities. If they prefer to use their own, that's fine, but I won't get involved in arguments about missing supplies.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2012

Personal only; but I would love to pick up a supply fee and shop for their items all at once. That way, they pretty much have the exact same stuff - which I do request for certain supplies.
    Example: ELMER'S GLUE (white or blue)
    Glue Sticks - any brand

11. Lroweb

Lroweb Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

We do individual. We buy they first set they supply if they need any other ones. Being new in the room I struggle with the students trying to use other kids stuff because their past teacher let them I'm trying to change that.

12. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012

I do community supplies. We share everything, especially because not all children are able to afford to bring in supplies at my school (or they don't bring in the correct items). I can't stand when things get labeled with the kids names, because then I have kids constantly arguing and saying "That's mine", like when we are using things like rulers or notebooks that I put out at the writing table. I learned to cross off any names if items do end up labeled.

13. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 27, 2012

This year I'll do some community supplies like pencils, glue, things like that. Crayons and scissors will be fine to use if they have their own.