Personal Narrative Conclusions

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Croissant, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

I have provided my students with a list of techniques they can use to add interest to their personal narrative introductions. They have responded really well to the resource, enjoying trying them out in their own writing. But they are struggling with their conclusions. They aren't quite grasping the idea that most personal narratives don't just end when the story ends. Reflections, looking back now, I learned, ever since then....I've tried phrasing it many different ways. I have been looking for a list of examples and techniques for conclusions that is similar the what I used for introductions, but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have something like this?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2014

Restate thesis
    Review main ideas
    concluding thought

Provide them with specific examples of reflection, I'm sure you can come up with a few. Tell them to use those, but they should at least rewrite it, but it's recommended that they come up with their own based on those.

4. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Feb 28, 2014

Thoughtshots. It's where you write what you were thinking when your story ends. I give my students sentence frames like:

It never occurred to me that____________.
    I now know that _________________.
    From now on _________________.