personal laminator

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

I'm thinking about buying one of those little laminators that you can buy the pouches to put things in to laminate.

Is it worth it? Does it seal everything nicely and does the lamination last?

Update: I purchased the lamination machine and will update with a review and pictures on my blog next week. http://thepencilmonkey.blogspot.com/

3. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I have one that I bought at Costco and LOVE it! I've used it so much this summer for my classroom. I've never had any problems with it not laminating at a high quality. Mine is the brand Purple Cow.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

I have a Scotch brand laminator that I purchased at Walmart for under $40 - it works fine. I buy my laminating pouches at Amazon for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

I also splurged last year and purchased a larger, more "professional grade" laminator (about $100 on Amazon). It uses the same pouches, but because it is hotter, I'm not left with as much of a margin on the edges of whatever I'm laminating. It is much faster than the little one.

Both still work, so this year, I'm taking the "little" one to school for last minute laminations, and keeping the "monster" one at home for late-night laminating sessions!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

I just ordered one the other day- it will be here tomorrow. I'll report back!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I have the Scotch one. It works fine, nothing snazzy. I would buy it again, though.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

I bought mine through ABC Distributing. I love it!! So worth it.:thumb:

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I love mine. I bought it at Target for $25.00 and have used it for 3 years now. The lamination is much better quality than the film rolls.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

Ok, the laminator situation at my school is getting ridiculous. People are taking them and not signing them out so nobody knows who has them. Then, when I want to use it, nobody can find one! I am going to try to buy one this weekend. I know I can get laminator sheets from the office so at least I don't have to buy those.

10. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I wasn't going to buy one because my P said that I could just laminate what I need at the school. However, school is just over two weeks away, and my school has been closed for construction all summer. We open up on Monday, and I imagine that everyone and their mother will want to use the laminator. I just want all of my decorations laminated, so they will last me for a few years.

I think that I will be purchasing the Scotch brand at Target today. I've heard good things, and I'll let you all know how it works out.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2013

Our school laminator (run only by a Title I aide - who also runs the risograph) is on the fritz so often - that's why I bought my own.

12. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I also brought the laminator at Target Scotch Brand and it works great... a lil slow, but it gets the job done and the pouches are a thicker plastic than the laminating rolls at school.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2013

I just got my Scotch one yesterday (ordered from Amazon because the laminator and 100 pouches were $40!). I'm pleased- as mentioned, it is much thicker!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 26, 2013

I am going to Target on Sunday. I hope they have it!

15. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 26, 2013

My Target didn't have one. Gonna have to use Amazon.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

I think I'm finally going to buy the Scotch one on amazon with the pack of 200 pouches. I rarely laminate big stuff, and I can just do that at Lakeshore. I rarely use the one at school because we can't laminate ourselves - we just turn it in and an aide does it for us. It sometimes bubbles and peels when she does it.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

Thanks for the tip about amazon. I bought one this morning. I will report back next week!

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

This is the exact reason I wanted my own laminator. Great minds!

19. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 28, 2013

I just purchased my laminator a few days ago. Umm... I LOVE IT, and why did I not purchase one earlier?

The lamination is incredibly sturdy. The only things that will need to be laminated at school are my larger items. I know that this will be such a great investment!

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

I bought the Scotch one at Walmart for 25.00. I am going onto Amazon to buy the pouches. I LOVE how sturdy the lamination is...much better than the film we have at school. Only downfall is not being able to laminate big posters....but for 81/2 by 11- it is worth every penny!

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 30, 2013

22. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

Question: I want to laminate flashcards to have practice sets hanging on a BB. If I buy one of these, will I be able to do the whole sheet of paper, then cut on the dotted lines, without it peeling?

Also, where would one find a laminator at Walmart? I've never seen one, nor have I looked.

23. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

Yes, it will do that. I did that to several items.

You can find it in the office supply section or possibly the craft section.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

I would cut them first. I have never seen the ones cut after last too long.

25. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

I got a laminator for Christmas a couple of years ago and it is seriously the BEST gift I have ever received. I use it ALL the time and it works really well. I can't imagine my life without it. :D

The only thing is that the laminating pouches can be a little expensive but sometimes you can find them on sale.

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

I just went to Amazon to order more pouches...but the shipping and handling stop me in my tracks!!!!!! The pouches were cheaper, but the S&H was 27.00!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guess I'll pay a bit more at the store, but I can't see paying that much in shipping! This was the regular shipping too!

27. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I'm not sure how many you need, or how fast you need them but Office Depot.com

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/801826/Scotch-Thermal-Laminating-Pouches-89-x/

has 100 for about $27 (27 cents per pouch), and if you purchase two of them, it's free shipping.

Just wanted to toss out another option. :)

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

Thanks! I don't need them immediately, so I am going to check this out. I will probably do the two and get free shipping!

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

We would get our pouches at Sam's Club. I can't tell ya the price it's been awhile since we bought them.

30. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

31. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I will be purchasing one when I get the FED tax exempt fund (teacher tax money)

32. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 1, 2013

I ordered one today, along with 200 pouches - SOOOOO EXCITED!! :D:D

Thanks for posting this review - it is what finally pushed me to buy it! :)

I got these pouches - 200 for $28. I have Amazon Prime so the shipping is free, and I can't see how much regular shipping would be. But it's over $25 so shouldn't that be free super saver shipping.? (Do they still do that? I've had Prime for 3 years.)

34. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

Question about pouches: can you easily put multiple small things into one pouch and then cut them apart after lamination? Or before lamination if that works. Just curious!

35. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I guess it depends on the size of the items you place in the pouch. The pouch is really more of a folded piece of plastic. What I mean by that is that it's not a pouch in the most-used sense. A pouch commonly has THREE sides sealed shut (like a pocket). This only has the one side sealed...so you can open and close (like a folder or book).

When you place small items, there is a risk of the items slipping around as you put the pouch through the machine. What I do in this instance is just carefully hold the pouch as horizontal as possible while it moves through and hope for the best. :)

I always cut the paper items BEFORE I laminate and separate them within the pouch. Then I cut around each item after it's laminated. In the past, when I've cut the items AFTER, there is never a good enough seal around each item.

Does this help at all? Clear as mud? :)

36. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Yep, got it. Thanks Ted!

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2013

To keep small items from slipping around in the "pouch," I either use double-stick tape or a small bit of glue (from a stick) to hold it in place. I try to place as many small items as possible in one pouch, to save pouches. If you are not getting a good seal, you are either running it on the wrong thickness (3 mil as opposed to 5 mil) or putting too many things too close together. Or you need to replace the laminator.

38. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

I love my laminator! The laminate is so much sturdier than the rolls, and I can laminate while I watch tv or cook dinner. My only complaint is how slow it is, but it's worth it.