Personal Information

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by blt, Aug 8, 2006.

1. blt

blt Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Hello everyone! Let me first start out by saying how thankful I am for everyone on this forum who takes the time to respond to everyone’s questions. I find myself checking back to this forum when I have a question or I begin to get nervous about my 1st year of teaching. It’s comforting to know that I am not the only one with these feelings, and that I have a place where I can look to.
    My question is this… How much information should I share with the students about my personal life and or my life experiences? Should I tell them that I was not the best student in high school? Information about my childhood (not very good one) information like that…..Thanks.
    Bryan

3. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 8, 2006

I often share my less-than stellar high school academic record with my students....especially the ones who are currently struggling with their own studies. I'm not using my school days as a way for them to have an excuse not to work at their studies, rather, to show them not to give up and to keep plugging. Since I was named "Teacher of the Year" at my school and have received my doctoral degree, it allows them to see that one's accomplishments (or lack thereof) in high school do NOT have to hamper future success.
    As for your personal life, I don't know that they need to be given any great depth of knowledge...unless a specific situation comes up in which reference to an event in your life might help them understand something. My students know I'm married, have two children, etc., but I don't go much deeper than that.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

blt- I think it is important to share with our students- up to a point. I would think that you would be able to judge what is appropriate to share and when. I would say, to share when the situation warrants, but don't turn it into a therapy session. Does that make any sense?

It helps to share to create relationships; however, there are boundaries that we have to adhere too.

5. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

When I taught full-time, a few years back, I actually had a small bulletin board near my desk with various picture of me and my family. I don't go into detail about my personal life or about my family, but I did want my class to know that I'm a "real" person with a real life. I think this is good. Usually there's a family picture, a picture of me on various trips, and also my favorite picture of me and my dad deep-sea fishing, holding up two of the smallest fish you ever seen.

6. blt

blt Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Thanks for the replys:)

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

My students know that I live in town (I don't tell them my exact address, though many of them eventually know), I have a family, where I went to college, some things about my friends. If the situtation warrants, I may tell them other things about my life. I just am careful not to tell them anything I wouldn't want published in a newspaper! I figure that's a pretty good guideline.

8. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Also remember that whatever you tell them might go through the rumor mill and come out the other end quite different. I like the 'would you want it printed in the newspaper' idea. I'll have to remember that one

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

I think sharing stories from your personal life can really enhance a lesson. I still remember certain teachers telling hilarious stories from their childhood, or things about their own children, and then going home and retelling these stories to my parents. Certainly made more of an impression than anything they were actually trying to teach that day!! :)
    Do remember though, that anything you tell them WILL reach their parents, friends, other teachers, etc.

10. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

I agree with Mrs. R. I do post pictures and if students ask about them I usually fill them in. It's usually the students that are looking to make some kind of connection, or need to talk that ask about the pictures or the people in them.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

This is true. The students who ask about me and my life are usually the ones going through a crisis. I had a student who suddenly lost his father right before school started last year. Early in the year, I shared with him that I had lost my mother, and that if he needed someone to talk to, I was there for him. He really responded to that and opened up to me more than some of the other teachers. My principa once told me that I shouldn't share ANY personal information with my students, but that just seems SO WRONG. I teach 7th Grade! These kids are exactly at a time when they need personal connections with teachers! Just my two cents. :)

12. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

My exit question for my students today (first day for the kids) was what makes a teacher a good teacher? Two (of 130) replied when the teacher shares stories from their real lives! I thought that was very interesting!

13. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

What did the others say?? I would have thought that sharing and being open with kids would have ranked much higher.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

Today was our first day back, and I included a few things about myself in my classroom introduction. I told that I was born and raised in our town . . . they like that some of the teachers were also MY teachers. I told them how long and what I'd taught. I showed them a photo of me and my husband and told them that my DH is a professional musician. (I tell him it gives me "cool points".) I showed them a picture of my dog and my goldfish.

Throughout the year I share all kinds of things with them. They really like that kind of thing.

Plus, part of what we teach them is how to connect what we teach them to their lives, and it helps if I can show them by giving an example.

15. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Thought-provoking comments on this thread, good ideas!
    I'm wondering what you all think about this: I'm a new teacher, just graduated and I look very young (I could pass for a tall student if I dress the part). I know I'll get asked how old I am and if this is my first year teaching, they all asked me that when I was substituting. As for age I want to just say "it's not polite to ask a lady her age!" and sort of make a joke of it. As for first year teaching, my student teaching teacher told me never to tell them that it is, because then they'll really think they can pull the wool over my eyes. So I could tell them "yes, it's my first year at this school [most will probably know this already], but I taught in Nebraska and Texas before this." Technically not a lie - I subbed in NE and student taught in TX! What do you think? What would you tell your students in my situation?

16. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

hi englishmiss....as now a second year teacher--i never told the students my age. i would always be like i'm 35 or 105. and like you i look like a tall high school kid. the office ladies always told me i looked like a student. they would guess my age and when they would say like 24? i would be like that is so old and the next time that is so young! i was 22. so dont tell them! its better that way!

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

One of my prof's in college asked us on the first day, "What do you need to know about me in order to believe the things I'm going to tell you this semester?" I thought that was an interesting way for her to tell us about her experience, education, etc.

18. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I like that question clarnet... I'll have to remember that one. I have heard both sides of this story before. Some teachers and administrators feel that you should tell nothing, and some feel the opposite. I think this is one of those personal things. If you want to, do it. If you don't want to, don't do it. However, I do feel that it does bring you and the students a bit closer. It helps them personalize you, instead of looking at you simply as a teacher.

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

I've always figured that we ought to at LEAST give the kids as much info about us as we're asking from them (this was always my policy when I worked at summer camp)... so if we're doing "get to know you" stuff and going around sharing favorite food, movie, cartoon character, whatever, I always make sure they get to hear mine, too. I figure that makes me human. ;)

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

I don't tell them my age, but I've figured out that most all my middle school kids view all teachers as "old". For my 30th birthday, my best friend sent me black balloons. One of my kids said, "So, you're 40 today?" It works the opposite way, too. This week one of the teachers--second year--told her students that I had been her 8th grade reading teacher. They didn't believe and said I wasn't that old. LOL

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2006

EnglishMiss, that sounds perfect. I think it's a good way to assert that you take yourself seriously as a teacher and that they should, too.

22. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

You can just tell them that you are old enough to have completed college while earning your certification to teach. I had a parent tell me once that she didn't think I was old enough to teach her daughter's honors class. Little did she know that my oldest daughter is six years older than her daughter. (I later found out that this parent and I are very close in age.) Age doesn't matter; intelligence heart, and care for kids are what count.