Personal Calls During the Work Day

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2010

How many times a day would you say you talk to your spouse, child(ren), etc. while at work? (I'm assuming most of us have cell phones & are talking on them & not the school phones.)

My BF & I talk about twice during our work day (during breaks/lunch, otherwise, he'll get my voicemail). They're not emergency calls, they're just to talk & see how the other's doing. :)

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 31, 2010

My husband and I are way too busy at work to call eachother but he will send me a text if he has to.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 31, 2010

Rarely, if ever. If he calls, I know it is important. He will call the main office who will buzz and ask if I can talk. That's happened once this year-when he had to leave suddenly on a trip and needed to go over his schedule with me before booking.

If it's something he just wants to tell me, he'll email and say "remind me to tell you...". Likewise for me.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2010

Rarely to never.
    Maybe one email a week that pertains to something I MUST know prior to coming home. That email is one sentence that requires the same response.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 31, 2010

Also rarely. The only time we have actually talked was when I was at work and had to go to the ER. Sometimes we email if one of us forgot to take the dog out or something of that nature.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2010

My husband--never. I'll text my kids at the end of the day and I'm going to be late because of a meeting (I'm 3 for 3 on that one this week) or to ask if I need to stop and pick something up. On the off chance I do need to call, I use the school phone, not my cell.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2010

Rarely - almost always involve problems that come up. The first call I ever got at work was that my mil had died - ugh! When the kids were young I had them call me when they arrived home if I wasn't there first. Never have my cell phone on me unless there is some crisis or other going on at home - all other calls can wait until the end of the day. Sometimes I feel the cell phones and now the ones with emails actually tie us down and reduce our freedom.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2010

Never--I do not even bring my cell phone into school with me. I keep it in my car. We do frequently e-mail each other during the day. We do get off work at the same time and will usually talk the entire way home.
    My children do text me which I do not know why they do because I cannot read the small text on the phone.

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 31, 2010

Usually just a text message but he has too much to do to just call me to say hi!

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2010

I text or call sometimes during my breaks. My husband is in the military and works swing shirt (3pm-midnight), so I never get to see him during the week. Sometimes it's the only time I get to talk to him until the weekend (unless he wakes me up when he comes home!)

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2010

Never unless its an emergency, and then they contact the main office. It happened once this year when my son had his car accident.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2010

I would NEVER call my BF during the work day. We don't call each other and chat ever, anyway. Even before we lived together. We do send emails throughout the day though.

I have called my mom from work though, if I had a question, but of course I would only do that during my plan or lunch.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

Almost never, only emergency type situations.
    Email exchanged, only if important.
    Both of our cell phones are off at work.

Chatting/checking in type phone calls, IMO, are not appropriate at work.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 31, 2010

we are not suppose to use ours at work. I sometimes call my husband or text him during planning only because the office is a city block away.

I do call my doctor in the early morning because it is hard to get an appointment. They only make them before nine and I have kids, so I have been known to call using my cell phone.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

I call my mom & dad daily during my lunch time. Their days are so long that a phone call helps break the monotony of their day. They're home-bound and don't get out of the house except to go to the doctor.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2010

RSP teachers, SLPs, & others who work w/ students via a pull-out method have more downtime throughout the day than general ed teachers, so that's probably why I can talk slightly more often & we never text or email ea other. :)

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

My husband is too busy to take a phone call. I would e-mail him every day to have him start dinner, as I usually got home after him. It was a big help to have the potatoes peeled, and the oven turned on.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2010

Rarely.

When I do get or make a phone call, it's something that absolutely cannot wait. No emails or texts either.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2010

I wish I had downtime--even just 5 minutes a day would be a welcome change!

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

Me, too!
    I was just telling my student teacher today. I engage in "teacher mode" during my drive to school and by the time I hit the school's front door my brain and body are 100% completely engaged in 'teacher mode' until about an hour after the last bell of the day. There is ALWAYS something to do or something going on.

22. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2010

I have had to make calls more frequently now during lunch with the house finalizing and stuff. I rarley made phone calls before all this was going on but if I wait till the end of the day most places are closed.

Also its hard being 3 hours different than my family so my mom or dad will occasionally call at my lunch becuase if I wait till I get home sometime 5-6 pm its 8-9 and shes getting ready for bed.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2010

Wow...Ms I, sometimes I feel like the questions you post are similar to market research.

As a rule, I generally Don't talk to spouse, children, etc while at work. They know to only contact me if it's an emergency.

I do have colleagues who seem to text frequently -including during teaching times. I consider that unprofessional.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2010

Yes, it's nice...just like we don't work w/ kids from the moment the start-of-the-day bell rings OR up until the dismissal bell. Sorry, not trying to rub it in! :)

LOL! Just making conversation! :)

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

We work at the same school, so we never call each other.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2010

LOL! Just making conversation! :)[/QUOTE]

Or are you truly curious? Current questions include: dry cleaning, Boston terriers, happiness and fulfillment as a sub and personal calls. I guess I'm just inquisitive about your inquisitiveness. :woot:

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2010

czacza, I like starting interesting or fun threads & I am truly curious too! :)

ku_alum, :D

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2010

Never unless there is timely information to convey or something really amazing happens.

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 1, 2010

I have my cell phone in my pocket, but won't use it, except from time to time during recess or lunch time. I rarely get a phone call, and when I do, I just make a mental note to check my voice mail during recess, lunch, on my prep or at the end of the day.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2010

The collaborative teacher in my room for a small part of the day...boy, that teacher's cell has interrupted class absolutely no less than a dozen times, and I know that's a generous count. The phone always rings loudly and the teacher always takes the call, often going out into the hall to get better reception, but not until beginning the conversation in class, often while I'm actively teaching. Yeah, slightly annoying. Our grade's main special education teacher texts all throughout class...it is a major problem. Making plans for after school, the weekend, paying bills, dealing with his college classes. It is beyond frustrating...these kids need him!

Anyhow, as to the question: as far as during the actual school day, very rarely...while building the house and during medical situations only. Well, I say that, but come to think of it, I just recently took a call during class. I was at the desk and saw the top of my phone and several missed calls from my husband. It just then started to vibrate...I looked to the students, who were busy working, and told them very quickly, "I have to get this", thinking of course it was an emergency. The emergency? Where is the dog's leash? UGH! Men!

Okay, but other than that stupid incident, I don't talk to my husband during the school day. If I did, it would certainly be during lunch, but because of my husband's schedule that simply doesn't happen but once in a blue moon.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2010

The only time I have ever carried my cell phone with me during the day is when my dad was critically ill in the hospital; I wasn't taking the chance on all of the school lines being busy and my mom not being able to get me right away. My administration knew the situation, and my principal even offered her cell phone number in case I ended up in a "No Service" zone of the school.

33. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2010

Every once in a while, when I need to remind hubby to start dinner or about an errand he needs to do on his way home.

34. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2010

Never. He did call one time and it was a true emergency. I had to leave school and take him to the emergency room.

35. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 1, 2010

I always call my guy or message him around my lunch break. It's nice to hear from him, and he likes to hear how the baby is doing. Being 30 weeks pregnant I like to know that he's checking in on me.

36. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 3, 2010

All the teachers at my school are mommies and carry their cell phones around 24/7! I sometime wonder if they use them during class, but I guess it's none of my business. As far as my cell phone usage goes, I always answer it if it rings, but that rarely happens. In fact, it happens so seldomly that I sometimes get scared when my cell phone rings during class!

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2010

My cell phone is only on when I'm in the faculty room during a break, calling either a child home sick or a doctor (Or, once or twice this year, my mom.)

Since September, let's call it 10 or 12 calls total. Last year there were a lot more phone calls, maybe 2 dozen total.

All from the faculty room during breaks. I don't know my cell phone number and never give it to anyone. If someone needs to contact me for some sort of an emergency, he or she calls the front office. A sub arrives at my room with the message so I can go call back.

38. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 3, 2010

I would say never. I am a special education teacher and I have students all day. Too busy.

39. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 3, 2010

I've never called, texted or emailed my DH from school. The kids or the high school can call the office if they have an urgent need but that is rare.

40. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2010

Since I work part time this year, I NEVER talk to my hubby during the school day. When I was full time, we RARELY talked. Sometimes in the morning before we both started teaching (he's a sub) and sometimes at the end of the day after the kids have gone home to see what the plan for the day is.

Last year, my partner teacher's cell phone ALWAYS went off during the day. Either it was her hubby or one of her adult kids.
    We taught half day kinder. So, she taught a class in the morning and I taught my class in the afternoon. Her phone always went off when I was teaching my kiddos, and of course when she was out to lunch. GRRR it drove me insane but I liked her and didn't know how to address this with her without offending her (she was easily offended). After a white, my sweet kids got used to ignoring the phone.

41. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 3, 2010

If he needs to tell me he's going to work late, or if we need to let each other know something important (made an important phone call, etc) we'll email, but we never call each other during the work day.