Person with a Disability Portrayed in a Movie?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Youngteacher226, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

I am beginning my cross certification in Sp.Ed./Literacy. For one of my first assignments, I have to watch a movie that portrays a person with disabilities as the main character and analyze how realistic the disability is portrayed in the movie and drawing on my own experiences/knowledge. This will be an interesting assignment to complete, but I am stuck on coming up with movies that depict a major character with a disability. All I can think of is Forrest Gump.
    Can any one help me by naming a few more that I can watch and use for my research?
    Thanks alot, I'm desperate for some help!:eek:

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 3, 2008

Um...
    Radio and The Other Sister are the ones that just instantly come to mind other than Forrest Gump.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2008

I Am Sam~developmental delay (Sean Penn)
    Rainman~autism (Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise)
    A Beautiful Mind~schizophrenia (Russell Crowe)
    Bubble Boy~immunity
    Children of a Lesser God~deafness (Marlee Matin)
    Girl, Interrupted~mental illness (Angelina Jolie, Winona Ryder)
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape~autism (Leonardo Decaprio)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

Great movies, is it possible for you to tell me what disability the movie portrays when suggesting them?? It will be very helpful to me when I'm gathering movies to watch. I have to research one disability so I won't be able to watch all the movies.

Smalltowngal, some of those movies sound very familiar. I am familiar with Girl, Interrupted and Bubble Boy. What disabilities are portrayed in the other movies, I'm wondering?

6. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Mask... one of my personal faves! I Love Cher! It is about a boy born with a facial deformity. Very touching, very realistic as far as family, life, ect...

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Rainman with Tom Cruise?

In the TV show, Friday Night Lights, the qb suffers a spinal injury in the first show (the two hour pilot) that paralizes him waist down and puts him in a wheelchair. For the rest of the season (and season 2) it often deals with his challenges of adjusting to a wheelchair. It is very well done and really makes you understand how difficult is would be to have to rely on a wheelchair.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2008

You can find a whole list of them here.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 3, 2008

"House of Cards" - about a girl with autism
    "Nell" - with Jodie Foster - I know she spoke with her own language, I'm not sure what the actual disability was.
    "The Music Within" - story abou the man who wrote the Amer. Disibilities Act - he was deaf and had a best friend with I believe Muscular Dystrophy
    "Murderball" - about a team of wheelchair basketball players
    "Babel" - featured a girl who was deaf

10. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

My Favorites:

Radio: (true story, intellectual disability)
    The Other Sister: (intellectual disability)
    I Am Sam: (intellectual disability)
    Love Leads the Way: (true story, blind man who receives the first seeing eye dog in the US)

11. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 4, 2008

Frankie Muniz was in a Disney Channel TV movie called Miracle in Lane 2.

Here's the synopsis: Based on a true story, this made-for-cable drama concerns Justin Yoder (Frankie Muniz), a 12-year-old boy who is confined to a wheelchair. Despite his handicap, Justin is an outgoing kid with a sense of humor and a taste for adventure, and his older brother's accomplishments as an award-winning athlete spark his ambition to find a sport in which he can excel. Justin thinks he has found just such an activity in the local soap-box derby competition, but he finds he has to combat red tape and prejudice before he can compete in the race

12. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Sep 4, 2008

Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro.

Summary from Amazon: Based on the acclaimed book by neurologist Oliver Sacks, director Penny Marshall's hit 1990 drama stars Robin Williams as Dr. Malcolm Sayer. Sayer is a neurologist who discovers that the drug L-Dopa can be used to "unlock" patients in a mental hospital from the mysterious sleeping sickness that has left them utterly immobilized. Leonard (Robert De Niro) is one such patient who awakens after being in a comatose state for 30 years, leaving Sayer to guide Leonard in adjusting to the world around him. Penelope Ann Miller costars as the daughter of another patient, with whom Leonard falls tenuously in love.

13. KDS

KDS Companion

Sep 5, 2008

How about a Hallmark movie...they did a TV movie of the play
    "The Boys Next Door"...its about 4 adult men who are mentally challenged...2 are marginally retarded...1 is borderline...and last is..dang it...schitzo...i soooo am not meaning that in a bad way...i can not NOT spell...

the script is really lovely...it is by Tom Griffin

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2008

How about the Miracle Worker? The story about Helen Keller and her incredible teacher Annie Sullivan...great movie. I prefer the older one with Anne Bancroft as Annie. A very moving and encouraging story.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 5, 2008

Joni-Physical

16. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Sep 5, 2008

There was another Disney movie with Shai LeBouf (Indiana Jones, Transformers) and he played a boy with a disability. I think it was called "Tru Confessions."
    As Good As it Gets OCD

I'm not sure if Nell was disabled. She lived her life in the woods. Maybe more traumatized? Very interesting though.