Permanent substitute position accepted, but...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crimsonstarr, Aug 23, 2012.

1. crimsonstarr

crimsonstarr Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

I have interviewed for two positions this week: one was for a high school social studies position (yesterday) and the other was a permanent substitute position at a local middle school (today). The permanent sub position called and offered me the job, so I accepted.

Here is my dilemma: the high school position is still interviewing today and there may/may not be second interviews (depending on how the principal feels about how the interviews went). This was the position I really, really want. Hypothetically speaking, if the high school interviewed panned out, would it be unethical to back out of offer 1 (the permanent subbing position)? I am really worried about losing my health insurance in November and the permanent sub position does not have benefits. However, I would feel bad about backing out.

I have been on so many interviews and had five rejections before this, so the prospect of having nothing next year was very scary. :( Of course, the question could always be null anyways if the high school doesn't call back. I just feel very new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

A couple of holier-than-thou posters will come here and tell you it's wrong to back out on your word. If you were just switching between two full time jobs, they may have a point. On the other hand, anyone who tells you that here would be out of line. It would be crazy to leave behind a full-time position if you were offered it. I'm sure most principals will understand.

Either way, congrats on getting at least the one offer.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

I think if you explained it to the principal, they would understand and not hold you to it. Good luck.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Considering that you would be going from a sub position to a full time teaching position, I don't think anyone would hold that against you.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I agree with mrachelle. IF you were to be offered the full time teaching position, I would speak with the P at the school you are LTS at. The thing is, there are SOOOOO many wonderful teachers out there that they'll be able to find a replacement.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Crimson...good luck to you whatever your decision...regardless of whatever advice you take, don't be swayed by someone who degrades other's opinions simply because they are different than his own. It's obvious you'd be conflicted if offered both...you have some time to think on this and then make the decision that seems right. When does school start?

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

Since it is a permanent sub position I think the Principal would be fine if you backed out. Wait until you get an offer to worry about this.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I'm one of those holier-than thou people. However, your health insurance is more important and any administrator worth anything will understand the situation when you get the full time job...notice I said "when" :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I think that a permanent position trumps a temporary one (even a long-term temporary one). If you find yourself with an offer for a permanent position, be honest with your current principal about why you're leaving. They will be able to find a replacement for you.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

I'd have a hard time with it, too, but I think most p's would understand. Esp. when there is health insurance involved.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 23, 2012

I do not think that it would be wrong to back out of a permanent substitute for a classroom postion. Whenever I was a permanent substitute the schools/principals knew I wanted a full time classroom. They knew I was applying and encouraged me to do so.

13. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I was offered a long term sub position at a high school that would last from September to the beginning of April, no benefits. I was still waiting to hear about a permanent position at a middle school (which is the age group I want to teach) where I was one of three finalists. I turned down the long term sub position because I knew that if I was offered the permanent position, I would take it and feel uncomfortable backing out of the long term sub position. Turns out I didn't get the permanent position...maybe I should have done what you did! Don't start worrying unless you get the job offer for the full time position. Although I'm sure you'll bad about leaving them in that situation, you need to do what's best for you and your family. Good luck!

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

Did you end up finding a spot for this year?

15. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

Not yet. Hoping a miracle happens in the next two weeks. Actually, the district that offered me the leave replacement position just posted another leave replacement position today that would last from September 1 - October 12. I applied for that position and sent an e-mail to the math supervisor who had made me the original offer. I think I left things on good terms when I turned down the first offer, so I'm hoping he will reconsider me.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

Good luck. I'll bet he will...what reason did you give him for not taking the job?

17. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

I expressed when I met with him that I was waiting to hear about a permanent position at the beginning of the next week and he told me that he couldn't wait that long and needed a decision by the next day. I took the time to think it over, and I called him and told him that I would not feel comfortable accepting the offer because I knew that if I was offered the permanent position, I would take it. I wrote a follow-up e-mail to thank him for the offer and to express that if things did not work out with the other position, I would still love to work in the district and hoped that he would keep me in mind for future openings.

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

Your chances sound good!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

Good luck mathgeek!

20. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I'm one of those people that will tell you to do what's best for you and your family. My husband quit a part time teaching job for a full time one in January and only gave a week's notice because the school wanted an answer right away. This was 6 weeks before our wedding and he had to do what was best for us. Sure he probably burned the bridge but it's every man for himself nowadays.

21. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

I think you have to do what is best for you in this situation. This is your career. If you don't look after yourself, no one will. As has been said, they will have no problem finding other qualified teachers willing to take your perm sub position if need be.

22. crimsonstarr

crimsonstarr Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

Thank you for all the responses! I haven't heard anything from the full-time teaching position, so I am going to assume it went to someone else. I do feel good though that I have something for next year even though it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I am glad that I will have the opportunity to work with different students and get some experience! It has been a little tough to see the others in my student teaching cohort procure positions, but at the same time, I know that my subject area isn't exactly in demand (social studies) and at least I know that I won't have to call in every morning for jobs. The position starts on September 17th. Our schools start the day after labor day. I know that the perfect position will come along. :)

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

Good luck, crimson! :)