Perm care

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kburen, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

I've been wanting some curls in my hair for a while....I have natural curls, but only on the ends because my hair gets heavy and pulls it straight. Anyway....I gave in yesterday and got a "perm" which pretty much is like waves throughout my hair. I like it...but it gets frizzy and sticks out so that I look like a mushroom head! How can I keep the wave, but make it look "neat"? Not like a mushroom head (I have layers and my hair only comes to my sholders) and it looks as if I haven't combed my hair in a week! A coworker says it's because I haven't washed and conditioned it yet, but I know they say not to for at least 24 hours. For right now...all I can say is that I'm glad it's Silly Hat Day! :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

Have you tried to dry it with a diffusor? If you only got it yesterday, I'm not sure if this suggestion is an option right now.

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

I haven't because I haven't done anything yet. But I'm going to the Sally's beauty supply store this weekend and will look for a diffusor (not that I know what one is ;))

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

If the diffuser doesn't work, you might try putting in some creamy curl definer, scrunching your hair with your fingers, and letting it air dry. I have naturally curly hair, and this is what I do.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

A diffuser is just an attachment you put on most hair dryers. It is usually big and bulbous, and it prevents the air from coming out too fast or too hard. It's much gentler and helps preserve curls.

Even with a diffuser, my hair tends to get really frizzy. The only way I can keep my curls intact is by letting my hair air dry after I've put in some hair product. I like the Sunsilk product that comes in a short, hot pink bottle. I also like the Pantene stuff for curls. Both products have a creamy, not gelly, consistency, which seems to prevent sticky or crunchy curls.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

And my idea is coming from someone with straight, straight hair. I've just seen this done on What Not to Wear with Nick when he deals with people with curly hair.

8. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

In order to help my hair not frizz, I let it air dry. I scrunch it up and put big clips on it and drive to school. People look at me funny in the drive thru at McDonald's but it really does work! I prefer "crunchy" curls, so I use gel. Spray gels work well too.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

I say go for the diffuser - if you are close to needing a hairdryer many of the new ones come with a diffuser. I also say you will probably need a curl creme. I use one from Aussie called Moist leave-in creme http://www.aussie.com/us/collections/moist/leave_in.jsp I have used other things that work, but this only costs about $3 and works just as well, if not better.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 7, 2008

I wouldn't mess with a newly permed hair too much until they give you the go ahead. There is a reason for it. Also know that initially it is going to be kinkier and tighter than it will be later when it starts to relax over time. That is to be expected. It will also take some time to learn how to play with it. It can be fun once you learn the tricks of the trade and that can be slightly different for everyone but wasn't that always the case?

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008

Stick with a pony for a week or two...then revisit the curls! I would talk to your hairstylist before messing with too many prodcuts!