Perimeter or Symmetry lesson

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mattie, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mattie

mattie New Member

Jan 27, 2005

xxx
    I am new to this forum and thought that I might as well jump right in. I began student teaching on Jan. 3rd, and I have my first observation on February 1. I wanted to teach a lesson that would coincide with our lessons in math, so I have the option of symmetry or perimeter. Which do you think would be better to do? :confused:

Also, could you give me some ideas that I could do for each lesson? Or if anyone has a lesson they have done before that I could use? Thanks! :love:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 27, 2005

What grade level?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2005

Symmetry is fun if you have foam or wooden shapes or tiles to use to create designs. Challenge them to create a design with a minimum of a certain number of shapes (depending on grade) and have a partner try and create the mirror image. If you don't have manipulatives you could use graph paper and color the designs.

Perimeter is fun if you let them find plane figures in the classroom to measure. You could make a list or let them discover them. Desktop, board, books, doorway, etc. If you want to vary the measurement tools, have them use various items as units of measurement - rulers, pencils, small books, pencil cases - lots of ordinary things work well.

5. mattie

mattie New Member

Jan 28, 2005

Third Grade

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 29, 2005

I teach third grade and one way I have the class show symmetry is to paint a picture on one half of a sheet of paper. They then fold the other side over the paint and carefully rub. Open the paper and the design is now on the other side.

7. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jan 30, 2005

I am student teaching this semester, too. My mentor teacher shows the kids that in the word perimeter is the word "rim" That helps them to remember to measure "around the rim" of the object. I am in a 3rd grade class and my kids love when they work with a partner to measure things around the room. If you use symmetry, my suggestion would be to use shapes that you can actually fold in half, since they understand symmetry best as "a shape you can fold in half so the two halves match." My kids definitely needed to see the evidence of a shape being folded in half before they would believe the shape did or did not have symmetry. And it was fun if they disagreed to hand them a cut out piece of paper of the shape and have them try to fold it themselves to find out.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 30, 2005

a super fun activity is to do Japanese fish paint rubbings to show symmetry

On butcher block paper, you lay a fish who has been dipped into paint flat onto the paper and fold the other side of the paper up over the fish. RUB the fish to make the print and remove the fish from the paper....

9. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Feb 1, 2005

I teach grade 4, and we had a great deal of fun with flags of the countries of the world. So many have lines of symmetry and are so colorful besides. As partners, they could make the lines, color in the panels of the flags on 81/2" x 11" paper, and then draw a dark black dotted line to show the line (or lines)of symmetry.