Performance Improvement Plan

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readwithme, Jun 19, 2019.

1. readwithme

readwithme Rookie

Jun 19, 2019

On the last teacher day (a workday) I finally received my end of the year review from the new VP. I received my first ever low review and a Performance Improvement Plan notification from him. This is my second year at this school after working part-time for many years. I had to google exactly what a PIP was to understand exactly what it is. This VP has not initiated not one conversation with me this whole school year. I am really looking for advice about what to do? I have had two observations with him one informal and a glowing report and one formal which was negative. Does a Performance Improvement Plan ever work out to be a good experience or is it just a paper trail to get rid of a teacher?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 20, 2019

Run away. As fast as you can. Find another job anywhere. Anywhere at all. I've never seen anybody on an improvement plan that didn't either get fired or resign to avoid being fired.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 20, 2019

I have also never seen them used for anything but a paper trail to get rid of someone. If your VP was really interested in helping you, he would have done so already during the year. One doesn't need formal paperwork to help someone.

I'd be getting updated letters of rec and start applying like crazy. It will be much harder to find another position if you wait it out a year and end up with a non-renewal on your record.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 20, 2019

Yes. It's also a good time to be job searching.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. coachG

coachG New Member

Jun 20, 2019

1. If you want the job, don't want to relocate?...…...just follow the plan and go with it.
    Just adjust. CYA. CYA. CYA. Cover your A$$. Document. Document.
    Document everything you do differently to adhere to his/her suggestions in the plan.
    If he/she says you get a "2" on a scale of 5 (for example) for student participation...…….make sure you set a certain amount of time every day or every other day for student to read, participate, peer tutor, etc. AND make sure it is aligned with the lesson plan. [If ongoing/constant communication is not going on between staff/admin.; he/she walks into your classroom just 1 or 2 times a year and you have no prior notice,, all he/she has is a lesson plan for the week and what you are doing or suppose to be doing that particular day]
    Bottom line. In his/her eyes, if improvement is needed in an area, document how you are doing it/implementing it. All year long UNLESS they have something to say about it at some point (sounds like they don't come by much). All you can do.
    2. Feeling unfairly treated/evaluated, got somewhere else you can transfer?
    Take it. Their loss.
    For me, I'd let the school year get going about a week and invite the VP to come in. Get with him after and ask for a critique.
    Good or Bad, I'd invite him back in a week or two after that. Ask for a critique good or bad. Invite him back again (document all communications) You are showing that this is a matter that you take seriously, want to improve and he will understand (will stroke his ego a little as well or get on his nerves) <--- either way, good for you.
    That 'non communication' will end or he'll just let you know to keep on keeping on.
    Nip in the buddy early just as you would with setting the rules for the classroom from day one with the kiddos. Don't want to deal with it all year. Yuck.
    ----Sorry to run on. My nineteen years of being in the killing fields of public education has presented a plethora of experiences. Just my opine because I don't know the particular situation.
    Good luck with your choice. With your experience, It sounds like you will :)

Backroads likes this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Co-sign on the whole post but especially the highlighted part.

8. readwithme

readwithme Rookie

Jun 20, 2019

I have not written a rebuttal. I have spoken with my union rep and a non school related mentor. Both said the same thing.

Concerning non-renewal. I have never dealt with that either. When letters of intent come out. And they ask if you are interested in teaching the NEXT school year. If I say NO I have another job. Is that considered a Non-renewal? Do I inform potential employers of the PIP? Do I inform them of VP conflict and the huge discrepancy between the eval by the principal (great) to the eval by the VP (had informal and summative) informal was glowing. Summative was awful.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 20, 2019

Non-renewal means they're not renewing your contract for the following year. I take it as "getting fired" in the education world. I was non-renewed by 2 different school systems in back-to-back years but still managed to find employment elsewhere. If you get line up another job BEFORE you're non-renewed, you can resign your position. I wouldn't mention anything about PIP or VP conflict unless you're asked specifically.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 20, 2019

I don’t know which state you’re in, but will you have tenure in August when the new year begins? In my district, teachers are granted permanent status or “tenure” on the first day of their third year.

readwithme likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 20, 2019

And they ask if you are interested in teaching the NEXT school year. If I say NO I have another job. Is that considered a Non-renewal?
    No it is not.

Do I inform potential employers of the PIP?
    No, I don't recommend that.

Do I inform them of VP conflict and the huge discrepancy between the eval by the principal (great) to the eval by the VP (had informal and summative) informal was glowing. Summative was awful.
    Don't bring it up unless specifically asked. Do consider whether your principal might write you a letter of recommendation, if you do choose to look elsewhere - although that may put him/her in a hard place if it means going against the VP's opinion.

Backroads and readwithme like this.
  12. readwithme

readwithme Rookie

Jun 20, 2019

I am in Va.

13. readwithme

readwithme Rookie

Jun 20, 2019