Performance Art

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 29, 2010

I'm doing a unit centered around performance art. We'll take a book, read that book in groups, then develop a short skit to which we'll add costumes.

What I seeing a difficulty is getting cultural images of differing styles of play style performances. Any help I can get with image search topics would be appreciated. I'd like to get an image of a stage performance of Hamlet, maybe some Kabuki theatre, etc. If that makes sense.

Ideally, I could get a short film but I've very small resource for such a thing. Maybe YouTube or the public library?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 29, 2010

definitely check the public library. Maybe check the travel section...where you can zip forward to a cultural section where they talk about plays and performances.

and while they are puppets, I'm thinking of the Thai puppets. Or even branch into native american and african dance performances b/c they often are telling a story. or to bring to contemporary inspiration, so you think you can dance.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 15, 2010

Any recommendations on a specific play or plays, vhs or dvd, that I could show my 5th and 6th graders as an energizer for the performance aspect of this assignment.

So far, it's going very well with a minimum of bumps in three classes. I was evaluated while doing my introduction to one of my sixth grade classes. My principal loved the lesson because it was inclusive of other subject areas and is differentiated instruction based on my presentation. I get stars. :D

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 2, 2010

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 2, 2010

that is now saved in my bookmarks! That is freaking fantastic! I can't even imagine how long all that takes to setup and the trial and error! can you imagine?!

7. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Mar 3, 2010

Go to http://www.zamzar.com/

You can convert your file there (I would do WMV). It isn't immediate, but they will email you the link when it's ready.

8. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Mar 5, 2010

That's great! My students will get a kick out of it! :D I like to find fun videos and songs to show them at the end of class if there's a minute to kill after cleanup or they've been well behaved. I think they'll really like this one. :D

9. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Mar 5, 2010