peppermint candy gift idea - HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jlj, Dec 2, 2006.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 2, 2006

Anyone tried this before? Any suggestions? Need help ...yesterday!!!:eek:
    Our goal was to make candle ring holders out of peppermint candies. We placed peppermint candies in a circle on a pie tin and melted them. Turned out beautiful.
    Problem 1- they are very sticky (plan to spray with clear acrylic)-will this solve it?
    Problem 2- they are extrememly fragile! Will the acrylic help strengthen them?
    Also would like other similar ideas. :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2006

The reason they got sticky is that peppermint candies are formed at the 'hard crack' stage of candy making- you melted them but the heat to melt them was not sufficient to take them back to the 'hard crack' stage so they will not lose their stickiness.

(and how much were the kids involved with melting candies anyway? That seems very hot and not kid-friendly....)

How about starting over- glue candies to an aluminum ring cut from foil pie plate. ...

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2006

my goodness...what a nice gift. Which made me think of those candy jars that had peppermint candies hotglued on the lid and then they were spray painted with some type of varnish or shellac.
    Then you fill up the jars with duh...peppermint candies.
    Someone, please let me know what type of spray to use??

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 2, 2006

peppermint candies

Thanks for the candy cooking tip-hadn't thought about the various "stages". The instructions given was to bake in a 250 oven 3-5 minutes but I found it took a little longer---so they wouldn't break apart when I picked them up.
    As for how involved the children were? What fun science lessons- using our 5 senses,observing the changes, etc., math, social studies-the discussions about love, family, holiday traditions, and giving.... The children also put the mints in the pan the way they wanted them, so no two exactly alike! I think it was a great lesson! and the children were excited seeing the results. And we have a fun Christmas secret for the parents!
    As for being too hot and not kid friendly---I have been teaching for 28 years and can not imagine not cooking with my classes! If you haven't tried it you should- there's a lot of learning that can take place as well as wonderful sharing time with your children. Good time for teaching health (hand washing, cleanliness of work area & tools, food handling, etc.) and safety (around heat as well as using various kitchen tools)
    As for the idea of gluing mints on cut foil pie pans---sorry but what lessons here other than the obvious - be aware of the cut foil pie pan? ouch!
    Again, thanks for the advice about the candy stages. I am still wondering if the shellac will keep them from being sticky?

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 2, 2006

Thanks! I thought it a great gift idea too. Now if I can just get the stickness problem solved. Im' going to try the acrylic sealer.
    The candy jar is also a great idea. Mints glued on the lid and then you could fill with the store bought mints but how much more fun to let the children make them!
    I use a clear acrylic sealer bought in the craft department at Wal-Mart, K-Mart or craft stores to spray on most projects of this type.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2006

Oh I've cooked with my classes-integrating math (measuring), Social Studies (we recently made butter for a Colonial times study), Language arts(writing a how to-instructional narrative- recipe- and then following it...)

...and now I guess the candy stage changes would be a science integration on the properties of matter......:D

8. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

We cook occassionally with the kids. It gets to be a lot of work for the most part.