People you do NOT want references from...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mollydoll, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

I am very annoyed right now. I have been giving my reference forms to professors that are very supportive of me. But one school just sent me an email saying they simply MUST have a reference from my current supervisor. This girl is a student. She does not like me and plays favorites. She gives me anything but the hours that I want and has written me up for frivolous things that she lets slides on others. Last summer, I took a week off to parrot sit for my parents and did not get all of my shifts covered. This was known in advance by the former supervisor and I was given these hours with the understanding that covered or not, I would be out of town. They had the option to not give me the hours. They did, and when I returned from my trip, this girl berated me in public for failing to have shifts covered and said she was going to write me up and that if it happened again I would be fired. Another girl in the same situation was ok because her excuse was a wedding and that was a "good reason." She didn't write me up because the old supervisor was still there and was able to override it. Anyway, she does stuff like note that I clocked in 2 minutes late (we get paid more after midnight and are not allowed to clock in prior to midnight; this often entails waiting in line for everyone to check-in, so clocking in at 12:02 is hardly unreasonable). I am not alone in these issues--she has a group of people who can do no wrong and the rest of us she uses different rules for.

Anyway, I have to give HER a form full of check boxes rating my attendance, punctuality, attitude, etc etc from 1-5. But the worst part is that in order to give this $#^@$& the form, I have to remove one of the forms from my professors because they are firm on allowing only three. :mad:

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

I don't have any answers for you.
    That is really unfortunate.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

Can you give her a $20 and beg her just check all 5's? Tell her it's no skin off her back, and she'll never have to see you again? I would just be very honest, and resort to any means necessary.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Of course, do I want to work for a school system that values a reference from a 20yr old who can't get a real job over a letter from a professor who is one of the top people in his field and who I did research and published a paper with? (2 of the professors meet this qualification, the other one is the advisor for science majors going into education--so which do I remove?)

(sadly, yes, this district is in a great location)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

molly~does the school district know that your current supervisor is a 20 yr old? This knowledge might make a difference.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Well, you can always take matters into your own hands... ;)

8. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jun 4, 2009

Is there any way you can get ahold of the previous supervisor?

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2009

Since the prior supervisor was there so recently I would see if that would suffice and explain that you worked for this person for much longer than the new person. Or is there anyone else above them that you could have fill out the reference for you. I find it odd that a school district needs a reference from a non-teaching job, usually they'd rather have teaching-related references. In all the applications that I have done the last three years none of them required a current non-teaching related supervisor reference. I've had to list who my supervisor was at non-teaching jobs, but they've never been contacted.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

I explained that she is a young student and that this is a work-study type job with no relation to teaching. They said that it doesn't matter, they still 100% require this reference instead of one of my others. It has to be the supervisor you are currently working under so former will not work unfortunately.

Since I don't have any teaching experience or references (substitute teaching was a few years ago, before I transferred), I am using professors.

I will just give her the stupid form on Monday and not think about it. I suppose if anything she says weighs more than the glowing references from my professors, there isn't much I can do! One of my professors sent me a letter I can upload to applications today and it was really embarrassingly glowing. I was amazed how great he made me sound.

ETA: I accidentally on purpose gave the reference form to FOUR of my professors. Oops. :lol: If they complain (why would they?), I will say that it was not certain which would be able to submit the forms in time.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

I would probably quit my job and tell them I have no current supervisor. Considering that a work study job isn't exactly a high dollar position, it wouldn't be that traumatic to give up the job for a few weeks until you can find a different position. Then, if they say the need the reference from your previous supervisor, you can give the form to the person who was your supervisor before this one.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

Molly... as to the glowing recommendations....

You should see the letters this one person writes for me. You'd swear I walk on water after reading them. He's ALWAYS one of my references. There's a reason for that. The problem is that I really don't know the person he's writing about. I often wonder if he remembers it's me he's writing about and not some super amazing genius saint.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

I can't quit. I am scrounging for odd hours as it is. My graduation present from my parents was rent money. I have not bought groceries in 3 weeks (luckily I have pantry things and a Costco box of Boca burgers, I just miss fresh veggies so insanely badly I want to cry). If I work all my hours until July and don't buy groceries or anything else, I will have about $15 over what I need for expenses.

I had a surgery in January and for most of the year my work hours have been less than half of what they should have been. Then I found out a $700 check I was expecting was no longer valid.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

Wouldn't the one you did research for and published a paper with be a supervisor?

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Yeah, I agree. That is weird. I wouldn't be near as good of an employee waitressing or being a sales clerk as I am teaching. I love teaching and take that responsibility with the utmost respect and attention. But, if you put me mopping floors at McDs', I'm not sure I'd do as well. That is just me.
    teaching is just one of those jobs that isn't just a job - it's who you are.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

That's what I was thinking, Jamie.