People who love their job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rennie15, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Rennie15

Rennie15 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011

Hello! I'm a nursing student who just withdrew to pursue teaching. Are there still teachers out there who like their job? If so, why? Seeing all the negative venting posts on here is starting to scare me a little bit . Thanks! :whistle:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

Don't be discouraged....there still are so many joys every day in classrooms across our nation. I have a passion for what we do, as do many many members here on the forums...why? The joyful discoveries, learning together, reflecting upon our practice, collegial work, educational discourse, reaching the strugglers, breakthroughs, pushing the thinking, laughing, connecting. Don't be scared.go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

You might be focusing too much on the negative stuff here. Sure, it exists, but there are also plenty of posts about the good and funny parts of teaching. Read more closely. :)

Most of us here love teaching, and that's why we spend so much of our free time on a message board for teachers.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2011

I love my job! Please understand that teaching is quite rewarding - not always financially, but in ways that are much more meaningful. Each day you face new challenges and you are also faced with children who go home to bigger challenges than you can imagine. It's sometimes unhealthy to keep it all inside and sometimes this forum is a way to vent some of those emotions. You are also seeing the frustration of unemployed teachers who know they would be excellent educators if given a chance. The field is crowded most definitely. If it's your dream, don't give up on it. We wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't love what we do.

6. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Sep 30, 2011

I have never worked in any job that didn't require occasional venting! This is a safe place for teachers to vent, but there's an awful lot of positive "stuff" happening here, too. I wish I had more time right now to read and post as much as I'd like. This is not only a capable group, but a kind group, too.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 30, 2011

I love my job! That said, it is a job, it is work, and there are negative aspects. I've never had a job that wasn't. I'm finding it harder this year to maintain my usual cheery disposition.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2011

I love my job, too.

I'm on year 19, and I can't imagine doing anything else. Yes, it's got its frustrating parts, but it isn't called "work" for nothing. Overall I can't imagine that I'd be any happier or nave any less stress anywhere else.

Every year is different, so some years are better than others.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

I love my job, even on those days when I feel frustrated. When I work with students I feel at home--it's where I'm meant to be and what I'm meant to be doing. I can't imagine being happy doing anything else.

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 30, 2011

I absolutely love what I do!! Especially now that I'm out of my old school and in a new district. I look forward to going to work every day and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Yes, I vent my frustrations at times, but that doesn't mean I don't love what I do.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 30, 2011

People rarely post when things are going great. They only post when they need to spill out some frustration.

A job can be like a spouse. Even if you love that person to pieces, there are still things that can make you want to throttle him/her.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 30, 2011

I love my job!! Even after really tough days, I still get up the next morning and want to go to work. It's an incredibly rewarding profession.

13. Rennie15

Rennie15 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011

Thanks everyone! I'm by no means expecting every day to be a ray of sunshine, I know people use this site to vent to people who will understand. Its just a little intimidating to read!

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2011

I agree it is human nature to vent about the bad stuff here because we want support and help. Sometimes we celebrate the good stuff, but since we don't need help and don't want to seem like we're bragging the good stuff is less frequent.

That being said, I LOVE my job, but it is getting harder and harder to do because of outside influences.

15. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011

I love what I do. I wouldn't do anything else. Sure, it's frustrating at times and it's a very difficult field to get hired, but it is always incredibly fun and rewarding. I think that we vent on here a lot, because it's easier to lay it out all to virtual strangers than to have to worry about the "politics" and people taking what you are saying the wrong way or thinking you are unprofessional for complaining. :D

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 30, 2011

LOL...and people here STILL take things the wrong way or attack when they disagree!

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 30, 2011

:love: LOVE MY JOB:love:

I love my job! I love the people I work with! I LOVE my students! I LOVE going to work just about everyday and I have spent the last 17 years loving what I do.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2011

As someone who wants out of teaching and have said so here recently and over the course of several months, I still find plenty of joy in teaching and I'm confident there are amazing schools and overall situations that would bring much happiness to teachers. :)

19. Rennie15

Rennie15 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011

That's very true! As for the hiring thing, luckily I'm in a northern area of Alberta that didn't get hit very hard by the recession. Thanks for opinions and advice everyone! Its appreciated.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2011

Oh, I love teaching! It's a hard profession and very time-consuming, but it's so very, very rewarding.

I like the analogy about teaching and spouses :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2011

I love my job. I'm absolutely in the right career and the right school.

22. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 1, 2011

I love teaching. I've always said that I don't have to go to work each day, I get to go to school.

Sure, sometimes it is frustrating and we have some bad days thrown in with the good, but the majority of the time we (the kids and I) are having fun and getting a great deal accomplished. We had Grandparents' Day yesterday and it was so nice to speak with the grandparents and hear what they have been hearing from their grandchildren about our class. I left school yesterday with a big smile.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2011

This is basically what I was going to say, too. And I am still planning on staying in education even though I want out of the classroom.

24. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 1, 2011

:yeahthat:

25. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 1, 2011

I'm new to this after 30 oyears in another field. I really enjoy it. It is demanding work and I have a great respect for those who have chosen this profession.My biggest frustration or "vent"....in my previous career, I was accustomed to firing people with behavioral or (repeated) performance problems. This allows one to build a team of competent, motivated colleagues and frees one up from dealing with petty or non-productive issues. One doesn't have that luxury with young adults (I teach HS) so consequently there are students (a few) who attend that obviously do not want to be there. these students can be very disruptive to the real work of the school. Of course, they have to be "managed" which takes valuable energy and time from the staff and administrators. These students drain scarce resources from the 98% who are interested in learning. Even with this issue, I have no regrets with my decision to teach. As others have noted, anything that has headaches, hard work and frustrations associated with it comes with a paycheck as no one would do it for free.

26. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 1, 2011

It all depends upon the community and school district you wind up with whether it is a pleasant experience or not.

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2011

I love my job, but it's easy to love. I'm very lucky because I have a great group of students and colleagues. My school is a short commute and I'm teaching subjects that I enjoy. I come home exhausted almost every day, but I look forward to going to work again in the morning.

28. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Oct 1, 2011

I think it's because people love their jobs that they take the time to vent on boards like this. Teaching is a wonderful and fulfilling profession. It's also draining in every imaginable aspect. There have been times that I've considered pursuing another field, but I can't imagine another one with so many rewards! Good luck!

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2011

I absolutely love what I do. Teaching isn't for everyone, and some get into it and discover that later, or discover it while under unrealistic demands placed upon them. I would assume this is true for any profession.

30. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Oct 1, 2011

I like my job. Some days I love my job. Some days I don't like my job.

The beginning of the year is stressful, so that might be why you see a lot of venting right now. It is hard to get back into the work routine, get your room set up, and deal with whatever changes are going on within your district. Couple that with grade level changes or building changes and you have stressed out people.

I know I have had a lot of changes this year and have seen some things that caused me to lose hope. Instead of letting that eat me alive, I vented or asked questions on this site. I read other posts where people were equally frustrated or stressed, and I knew I wasn't alone. That is much healthier than sitting alone and sinking into depression.

My spouse always says, "Every job sucks in some way. The way it sucks just looks different. The grass is not always greener on the other side!"

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 1, 2011

I love my job. I haven't had a day yet where I didn't have at least one good class. I love seeing how much my kids have already grown since the beginning of the year. I have the best staff and the best community to teach in. The kids are wonderful and I enjoy being around them. I have 2 colleagues that have quickly become 2 of my closest friends, the one especially. We do everything together and have been planning quite a bit together. We have all the same kids between the 3 of us so there's always someone to vent to if we have a hard time.

I have two classes that can be very challenging. But it makes it almost even better because I do have some very good classes with them and it makes those classes so meaningful. At this point, I wouldn't trade where I'm at for anything and could not be happier.

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 1, 2011

If you had posted this four months ago I would have told you that I absolutely love my job. I had loved it since the first day I started teaching.

If I had seen it four days ago I would have told you that I made a bad decision going into education. I have not enjoyed this school year at all. After Thursday and Friday I am thinking that I might be able to like it again.

33. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 1, 2011

NCScience - you summed up the profession well!

I go through ups and downs. Sometimes I sabotage myself into a down through lack of prep. That makes for chaos and behavior issues. When I am well prepped, I usually have a great day..

I truly love my job and cannot imagine doing anything else. I have a sense of fulfillment - I believe I am positively influencing these kiddos in many ways. I love the teaching, love the kids, love my co workers. I do not love the politics, parent conflict, and dealing with parent neglect. Those things are draining. But I love my profession.