People Who DON'T Cover Their Mouths While Coughing/Sneezing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

I'm really angry about something! :mad: There are huge amts of kids & MANY adults as well who do NOT cover their mouths when they cough/sneeze & I don't know why! I mean how inconsiderate can you be?!

The only time I'm around kids is when I'm working w/ students. Their parents obviously don't tell them & stress it because I'm constantly telling them daily all the time to cover their mouths & even turn their heads if they can. I don't work in a gen ed rm of 30 kids, I work w/ a sm grp @ a semicircle table for a short time, so I sit pretty close to kids, but I give myself a good amt of space btwn myself & the kids & won't hesitate to get up & stand away when someone coughs w/o covering their mouths. I even explain how when you don't cover your mouth, all the germs are spewing all over & I don't want to get sick!

I see adults doing the same thing! I was at the airport in the food court area eating. This older man is coughing & I'm looking @ him as if to say, cover your mouth, idiot!
    If I pass by someone who sneezes, I'll change the path that I'm walking as fast as possible. I mean these are full grown adults!!

This should be common sense, but parents don't even do it, so of course they're not teaching their kids to do it! This is horrendous!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

Some people just have no manners, do they?

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2009

Ms. I,
    We noticed this big time when we went to Disney last year. It was just so rude that they don't cover or turn their head or something. It's just gross!!!

We have taught our to cough into their elbows!!! Hands just pass it around as well!!!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

I wonder if you smacked this kind of person, could you get off any assault charges by claiming it was self-defense? A bit of a stretch, but blowing cigarette smoke into someone's face has been deemed an actionable battery. Once you get around the intent factor, it's pretty comparable.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2009

That is too funny!!! Could you just spray them with anti bacterial stuff!!! LOL!!!

I just find it so sad that SO many adults don't cover...who didn't teach them & who is teaching their children to please cover!!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 8, 2009

Don't share pencils with the kids, either.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

It grosses me out. Some people are just nasty. How about all the times you see people leave the bathroom without washing their hands? Ugh. I am getting paranoid about germs. Was at Panera Bread and had one of those buzzy things for when food was ready. A lady let her baby hold hers and the baby kept putting it in her mouth. Good grief-poor baby--poor next person to get that buzzy thing. I am sure they are never cleaned!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

Kindergarten31, you reminded me of something else. Yes, I'll never understand these parents who let their kids crawl all over the nasty floor, then put their hands in their mouths. Also, I've seen so many mothers give their baby back their little toys & rattles after it had fallen to the floor. The moms just hand it right back like nothing & of course the 1st thing the baby does is put it back in their mouths! My goodness, my goodness! I cringe everytime I see that. See, these parents just want their babies to have something to play w/ to keep them quiet in public, but if it means handing my baby a multitude of germs, I'll wait till I can wash it properly. :eek:

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

Use your own pens out in public! I need to remember to do that too.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

I do that quite a bit. Sometimes, it's easier to use the pen they hand you than getting your own from your purse. I need to beat them to the punch even more often! ;)

12. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Oct 8, 2009

Don't go to crazy with all the "anti-germ" stuff. I'm not talking about covering your mouth/nose to sneeze or cough. But using lots of antibacterial products and avoiding germs at all costs is not healthy for your immune system. I only use antibacterial products when I can't wash my hands. I also never went crazy when my son was a baby, and now he very rarely gets sick. When he does, it is very mild. He has a great immune system. Just my :2cents:.

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

this

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

I agree, I only use it when I have to which is rarely. I'm not some whip out the hand gel type of person every chance I get. :)

15. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 9, 2009

OMG! I was in the airport security line back in May and this guy literally bent over a little bit to sneeze and you could see all the spit fly out. It was so disgusting.

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2009

The teacher down the hall has a really bad cough. She coughs into hands. The other day I was standing next to her. She started coughing so I moved away. She kept following me! I moved a few feet to the right and so did she, then I kinda side stepped to the left and she had another coughing fit and moved right next to me again! (we were standing at an assembly) I couldn't move too far away cuz I had to watch my kids....

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2009

terptoteacher, Eeek! :eek:

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

I have a confession...I don't always cough into my arm. Because of my disease I literally cough all day long. Almost all the time I cough into my arm but sometimes I just can't and just put my head down. To people not knowing that I am not contagious I am sure it looks horribly rude and gross.

Because of the swine flu scare I am treated like a leper. I have to say it hurts so much to have people move away from me when I cough or pull their kid back or even talk about me so I can hear. I understand why but it still hurts.

All that being said I can't stand that people still cough into their hand. So gross!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2009

sue35, I'm sorry that you go through that. I assume this is a lifelong condition you have? Do any medicines, etc. alleviate your coughing?

20. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

Tje Dept of Health advices us to cover our mouths when yawning and sneeze into our elbows. lol

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009

On a side note, I have seasonal allergies. I've noticed lately that if I sneeze in a public place (and I do carry Kleenex and cover my sneeze), people stop and stare at me with horror. I guess it's the H1N1 thing.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2009

so true! ugh...I noticed that the times I ask to borrow a pen from a clerk...it is up their hair behind their ear...makes me think of lice. :|

And yes...people are very rude to just sneeze/cough out in the open...it's times like that when I wish I could make a can of Lysol magically appear and spray it in their face...er...I mean in the area where they sneezed. :mad:

Another thought...people can always sneeze into their shirt/blouse...yeah; yeah; you cover your body with your sneeze, but so what...it's your own germs!
    I remember mom used to do that when we were kids. It was funny watching her do that...boy, Mom knows best! :love:

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2009

On the show 60 Minutes, they said that the swine flu can still be transmitted up to 10 feet away! :eek: