people that use Unique Curriculum

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Feb 1, 2011

I'm considering writing a grant to purchase this for next year.

I know some people are using this/have used it as a framework for their classes. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Is it systematic enough? Do this kids like it? Is it easy to plan for and prepare once you have system down?

I teach younger elementary students with moderate to severe autism, if that helps.

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2011

Greetings!

I use ULS in my classroom. It's fabulous. Here's what I have to say about it. It gives you an opportunity to include all of your kids without preparing extra materials. Everything that you need is there, except small things for science or art projects.

I definitely can't use it as my "total curriculum" because it doesn't include everything as far as skills go. It DOES include the basic stuff you want your kids in our kind of setting to learn (number sense, money, time, etc.)

So as far as it being "systematic" - if you're thinking systematic in terms of skills, not really. It's the same exact thing every month, but there is a level system so that if a child masters a skill they might just have the harder activity the next time (i.e. they can add 2 numbers so the next month you have them adding 3-4 numbers, etc.)

Hope that makes sense. With that being said, I use it mainly as a "thematic unit" type of thing - to have something to focus on. Even with the leveled system, some of the stuff is way too hard for my kids. They do give you tons of stuff on how to do errorless learning etc. I use it approximately 45 minutes per day during one of our group learning periods.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2011

Oh and it's 100% easy to plan for (as in , no planning!) haha.

I look at the lesson plans for the month and pick out which days we'll be doing certain things. Then I make all of the copies at the beginning of the month and have them in a hanging folder. When we get to lesson 4, I get the lesson 4 materials (already copied) out of the lesson 4 folder. It works REALLY well. It's great for subs, too.

The kids enjoy it because it's the same format every month!