People stealing food at work!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Aug 2, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Ok...I haven't had this problem yet at new school...but it will be private Catholic school...I think God will strike them down or something ;) jk

Have a BIG problem with it at part time job with car dealership. I work as a night time receptionist, and sometimes bring my bf (who is internet manager) food. The stupid people seek me out and wait around to see if I will give them food. When I don't...sometimes they will take it from the fridge or freezer!
    I brought bf muffins for breakfast, and he didn't get to eat any cause they took them all! I can't freakin' stand it!

When I came in later that night one of the guys actually asked me if I had any more of the muffins left...WTF?!!?!? I'm not freakin' baking/cooking for everyone at the stupid dealership!!! UGh!!!

has this happened to you before? What did you do?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2008

I think that's a disgrace when people steal peoples' food!

With my teaching job, I never really bring food that needs to be put in the lounge refrigerator, but I did have another job w/ a big break room. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if the person take the whole thing, but if they take things out of your bag, I've always stapled my lunch bag, then I'd know if it has been tampered with.

I've read stories about this kind of thing where the person gets the thief back by putting a decoy bag in the fridge like sandwiches stuffed w/ pooh or something!

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

My suggestions:
    #1 Label it. "HANDS OFF! PROP. OF XYZ"

#2 Write something gross on the container "Antelope Soup" or "Beet and carrot salad". Be sure to put it in a non-see-thru container. ;)

#3 Take a bite out of it.
    Sounds gross, but it worked for me! I would do that to keep my brother from eating my food. I would take a bite out of it and put it back. HAHAHA!

#4 Get a lunch bag/box that you can lock with a suitcase lock. Throw his food in it. Put the bag in the fridge. The person has to be pretty determined to break into a locked lunch box!

Let me know which one you choose and whether or not it works! :D

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I like the taking a bite out of it...:rofl: I'd have to bite 4 muffins...hahaha

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

So what? Do it! I TOTALLY would!

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I have fruit right now...I'm going to bite it all...hahahaha

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Hey, I used to do the same thing! Take a bite out of it and my brothers wouldn't touch it.....or lick it. That works too.

9. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I have never had a problem with teachers. Our rule is if it is on the table it is for everyone(like cookies, doughnuts, popcorn-yes we are a chunky group of teachers!) if it is in the refriger hands off.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I have no problem bringing stuff to share at times...and if I have a bag of chips or something...then yeah...no problem. Just irritating to be attacked by hungry people all the time.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2008

When we moved to our new building, I volunteered to bring my old college fridge in for our workroom. The problem was my food and drinks would disappear. The day my sandwich and last drink were both gone, I flipped out and unplugged the fridge and took it to my room where it still is today.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to staple bags and bite food...hehe

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

:lol: I can just see that....oooo, make sure you do a big SWAK in bright red lipstick over the stapled part for a seal!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2008

Someone at my school said that she would put her Lean Cuisines in the freezer of the breakroom and they would be taken! I keep my lunch in an insulated bag in my room. I don't trust anyone!

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I say put a hair on top of it.

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

lol...sounds like a plan, proud ;)

and I like the lipstick thing, trinda :)

17. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

My school....

there are a few teachers who think the refrigerators are open feeding ground, but I'll give you worse. I work at a school where nearly 90 percent get free lunch and breakfast. Many of the kids are hungry, and because of absences and some of the bigger kids being picky, there are always extras. But the kids can't have them, and the lunches wind up being taken home by the bag full by some of our lunch aides. There was a situation two years ago during a teacher workshop at the school (early release for kids) that one of these women pulled her car up to an exit and deposited dozens of lunches into her trunk. It's not unusual for a male aid to take home a dozen or so hot dogs. But let a child ask for an extra because he or she is hungry, the request is turned down.

18. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 2, 2008

There is a joke at my school that a $100 bill could be on the table for a month and nobody would touch it, but put food in the workroom fridge and it will be stolen before the door closes. My second week at this school, I threatened to grind up laxatives and stool softeners and put them in the food if mine started to disappear. My stuff has only been taken a couple of times and one of those times, the teacher that took it had the same bag I did and she came to find me when she realized she grabbed the wrong bag.

If you are really cruel (and I am, so nobody questioned whether or not I would do it:whistle:) you could just grind up some Imodium and tell your bf not to eat the snacks for a couple of days.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2008

LOL I have heard of the laxative trick before and I bet it works!

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2008

I've heard chocolate exlax brownies turn out pretty good for sticky fingers. :)

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

gosh; Now I'm dying to find out what will happen!!!

Ok; I would never ever steal anyone's food; but once you "do something to your own food" - like take a bit or two or add ex-lax or something; be prepared. That little thief will probably start doing something to your food; like rubbing your apple under his/her armpit; spitting on your food and placing it right back or something gross like that and you wouldn't even know it! Blech!

I would definitely put an ice pak in my lunchbox and keep my meals with me! But first...do one of the other great ideas posted! hehe

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to make some brownies with black beans :D

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I am sorry to say but I made some laxative food and left it in the refrigerator. three adults got "sick" a janitor, a secretary and Da da da daaaaaaaa the Idiot vice principal I never said anything about till the VP was caught stealing school property after the statute of limitations expired.

24. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

That would keep me from stealing it--GROSS! :lol:

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

I used to work in an office and apparently someone was stealing food from the breakroom fridge. I found out because there was a big email firefight where the victim would email the entire building threatening the thief. Once the mail said, "Congratulations, theif! You just ate half an arby's sandwich and my DOG ate the other half. Hahahahaha!!!!" It got really bad - heh!

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 2, 2008

I have not had that prob. , but I subbed at a school with 2 special ed classes right beside each other and one had a full sized frig and the other did not so they shared the frig. Well the class without the frig. was so afrid that the other class would steal from them. They would put big notes like do not eat our food. lol But what was funny was they put stuff like cupcakes for a class party and the leftovers would sit in there for mos. They never bothered to help clean it out and always borrowed/took the others food without permison. Like if they brought mayo for there sandwhiches or salad or whatever they would use it and not ask. The class teacher and aides did not mind sharing as long as they asked. I would ask sometimes to borrow something but did not without permission.

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Don't think that this will not go on in a Catholic school because it was horrible at the Catholic school that I just left. I had a habit of bringing in 5 Lean Cusine meals on Monday for the week from the school I had been at. When I went to the 2nd school, I brought in my dinners on Monday and they would all be gone by Tuesday! It was so bad that people were hiding lunches in the back of the refrigerator.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  28. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

I use the insulated lunch boxes that keep things frozen and/or cold. I do keep an extra vial of insulin in the fridge...but noone bothers it b/c they know it is my medicine...I keep my lunch with me in the ins. LB, because I never know when I may need to eat something in a hurry, and like having the ability to pick something yummy from my lunch. We only have 5 teachers on staff, and so I trust them not to take my lunch...but some of the older kids have taken items from my lunches in the past, just to hide them, and make me think I am crazy! :p

29. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Yes, let's not forget that sometimes students take food from the fridges too. We try to keep our workroom locked, but it isn't always.

30. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I always keep my lunch with me.. In an insualted bag. Most of the teachers have their own fridges and microwaves. I could not imagine someone stealing food even students. An ex Lax dang that is ewwwwwwww

31. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

I hate communal fridges. I've always had people steal my lunch, especially if it was a Slimfast. Gee, I'll share anything I have if you ask, just ASK! I have a fridge in my room, so it's no longer a problem. BTW, my aide said that a couple drops of Visine in a drink works the same as Exlax and has no flavor....she tried it on herself. :huh: I dunno why.

32. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 3, 2008

I heard that about Visine! And why would you try that on yourself? Your aide sounds like a strange bird...

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I have been really laughing and getting pretty mad that anyone would steal lunches from their coworkers! :mad:

After reading a previous post, I'm hoping that we're not dealing with children/students taking meals. Oh my; I had a terrible thought that perhaps (you never know) that that child may become "deathly:eek:hmy: sick" if exlax or anything else was added to the food??? I would hope not; as I'm sure anyone here would never mean any harm to a child.

Just a thought.
    :love: Be careful, all, I think the world of my online buds! :love:

34. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Wow that is a thought. What if...:(

35. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

that's ridiculous. I would be so mad!! We don't have this issue but if we did, I woud have lots of issues