People getting interviews - Southeast

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mistah, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 7, 2010

Hey all-
    I noticed that a lot of you are getting interviews already for the upcoming year. That's FANTASTIC!! I was wondering if you could shed some light on the things you are doing to obtain these interviews. I mean, I created a rap song for my students last year, am a male in elem., created a video resume, website, and brochure, but am not sure how to use all these. Plus, my fiance and I are looking to live somewhere in the SE, so we are overwhelmed with the possibilities, but want to search in places that are hiring (if applicable). Additionally, does anyone know of any counties in the Southeast that are hiring? Any assistance will help!

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

The southeast always has a ton of job openings - SC, NC, GA, Fl especially. My university always told us we were basically guaranteed a job if we were willing to move to one of those states. And the university's education job fair in the spring always has a few hundred schools from that area. We were told we were one of the most desirable schools for teachers on the east coast though, and I must admit, after seeing the pitiful things called job fairs at other universities (some of which are more well known to the general public) I have to believe it. Couldn't believe how few school districts were interested in Penn State graduates

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010

Liberty County in Georgia is hiring. They aren't posted on TeachGeorgia site yet, but will be. Also look around Columbus, Georgia.

Atlanta area is not moving much.

5. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

Atlanta Metro is not hiring at all. My county is letting good as with the surrounding counties. GA is considering reducing the numder of days to the entire school year. We as a state have a 1 billion dollar (-), which is awful. We in my county and the one next to us, will not even get ouur contracts until April-approx.

I am actually relocating out of state due to these issues.

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 8, 2010

i was going to chime in what the others in GA have said. It's rough here in the ATL metro area.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

Good luck!! I know that people say some states are hiring like crazy, but be careful as many districts/states are facing budget deficts.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

I'm not from the southeast, and metro NYC has always had an incredible glut of teachers; I don't have to tell you how bad it is now.

But I would be very cautious about believing any university's claims of "guaranteed a job", even in a strong economy. It's in their best interests to fill the seats in their classrooms. Promising a great job market is one way to do that.

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

Yes, but they have the numbers to back it up. We truly are one of the most sought after universities amongst schools on the East coast. Everyone in my graduating class (and the people ahead of me that I know) who wanted a job in the carolina's or Georgia had one within months of graduating and sometimes before

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2010

I'm in one of those states and have lived in the southeast for 30 years. Jobs have never been so scarce as they are now.

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 8, 2010

I live in western NC and will be looking for jobs in northern GA and eastern TN as well. I received my license today! So it's time to get that license transferred to GA and TN and start hitting all the school districts within driving distance. :cool:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2010

Congrats Cerek!!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2010

That's great, Cerek!

I really think that as little as two or three years ago if you were willing to move to high growth areas in many different states (like NC, SC, NV, AZ, VA) you had a really good chance at getting job even in more saturated fields like elementary and social studies. I know when I went to a job fair in 2007 there were many districts offering contracts on the spot. When I went to the same fair in 2008 (after I had my MSED) there were still some jobs being offered on the spot, but it didn't seem like as many. Last year I wasn't allowed to attend because it's only for recent graduates of colleges in the area, but it seemed like the number of districts in attendance (especially from other areas in the country) shrunk dramatically and I imagine there were a lot less jobs offered on the spot due to the economy.

14. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 9, 2010

Things are pretty bad here in SC. Many districts are having to cut positions. People who work in some district-level positions are being put back into classrooms, so job openings here are going to be very rare. I live in the upstate. Things may be different closer to the coast, but I can't imagine they would have many openings, either.

15. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

Charleston?

What is Charleston Co. looking like? Do you have any idea?

16. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 10, 2010

I have a friend who was down there for an interview last weekend, actually. She said they do have some secondary math and science openings. I haven't heard much about elementary openings, though. I'm sure if you looked on their district site, you could find the postings.

You can also look here for openings across the state: www.cerra.org. Click on "Online Job Bank" on the right side of the page.

17. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

this is very interesting...i went to a job fair last week, i am in PA and there were districts from across the country! I did some research about NC and right on their website it says that they are going to be hiring 100,000 additional teachers, support, etc in 2010. I don't know the areas that are in need though. Is there really a shortage like that?

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2010

I just went to a NC public schools site, and searched for "elementary teacher."

I found SIX openings dated 2010. In the STATE of North Carolina.

https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/879e225f1e7e3fb585256b5f005120c2?CreateDocument

Again, I'm sincerely hoping that everyone who wants a job gets one. And I know that it's incredibly early in the season-- in NY it hasn't begun yet. And every year, no matter how bad the economy, some people DO leave and ARE replaced, so SOME people DO get hired!!!

But anyone who tells you that finding a job, especially in anything but Math or Physics, is going to be easy... well, let's be charitable and call them "misinformed".

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2010