People from the midwest and plains states....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

MM, sounds exciting starting a new life in a new place. I hope something opens up in the next couple of weeks! I bet someone is retiring right now and as soon as the holidays are over they'll be looking to fill a spot ASAP.

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

I've lived in a lot of different states. I grew up on an Iowa farm - not too far from Sioux City, Iowa. I've been to Sioux Falls a couple of times, but I really don't remember much - except that there is a nice zoo there.

From there - St. Paul, MN, different towns in eastern Nebraska, graduated from Concordia College in Seward, NE (a lovely, but VERY Lutheran town!), Houston, TX, a small town near Kansas City, MO, Panama City, FL, the High Desert of California, Daytona Beach, FL, and now I live in a suburb of Columbus, OH.

Really, except for the High Desert, I came to love wherever I lived.

My favorite Midwestern cities are - Columbus, Omaha, and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

One thing about Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota - they still have gravel roads there. My dad still lives on the farm and it's on a gravel road. You just have to be careful about driving too close to the edge of the road. It can be easy to get pulled into the soft edge and end up in the ditch.

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2009

After snow storms, COLD often settles in...except maybe March.
    I mean there will be weeks where the therometer struggles to reach zero.

Summer vacations tend to be longer than the rest of the country. In Wisconsin, it's the 1st or 2nd week of June until September 1st. Schools cannot begin before then.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 21, 2009

Glenda, I didn't know you graduated from Concordia! You probably mentioned that before, and I forgot. My cousin lives in Seward, and is a prof at Wesleyan in Lincoln. Nice town...about the only thing I know is I went to Amigos there once...

AHHH! MM!! We are forgetting something very important...the FOOD!

You haven't lived until you've ate at Runza. Or Amigos. Yummy yum yum! Amigos got me through college.

And, as Alice mentioned, there are a lot of storms here, as in tornadoes. It's not a bad idea to make sure wherever you choose to live has adequate storm shelters. Tornadoes don't give you the notice you are used to with a hurricane, and naturally can be frightening to children. They are fast, and often spring up at a moment's notice. We ALWAYS have a bag packed with a couple blankets, a change of clothes, flashlights and scanner, batteries, and bottles of water. It is in the basement right now, and along about spring break, I'll check everything and make sure everything works and is ready. Oh, and there are a couple of stuffed animals in there also. If you're in an apartment, you'd want it near the front door, in the coat closet or something.

Ok, enough gloom and doom!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

I lived in MI and IN for 25 years-never realized that people didn't have to deal with snow other places. It's just part of the midwest! My parents have NEVER paid to have snow removed. That's why they had us. My bro and I each had our own shovels, and we were sent outside to get the job done. If we were in a good mood, we made games out of it and had a great time together. If we weren't, we'd grab our 'walkmans' and just try to get it done as fast as possible while listening to music. I think your boys will do just fine getting that snow cleared for zero dollars!

In college, I had to walk through the snow and ice and rain for 6 months out of the year. The temp would go below zero quite often (I worked the 6am shift at the cafeteria), but you just put on another scarf. Now that I live in CA, I really, really hate the snow and cold. But that's because I can complain and come right back to my mild winters! When you live there, it's just life and you deal and it's fine.

As for cars, I drove a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am all through high school and college, and it was just fine. The heat eventually went out, the steering wheel 'floated', the bottom would flood (and freeze in the winter-ice rinks in my feet wells!!), etc, but it handle the snow just fine. And yes, you may drive off the road a time or two. I slid on ice and went into a ditch once, and I got a tire stuck in snow last winter when I went home. A friend spun out on an overpass while I was in the car. Your heart stops for a moment, you pray you don't get hit by another car as it happens, and then you pull out your AAA card and call the tow truck. Snow is fluffy-it's the ice and other cars you have to watch out for!

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 21, 2009

Snow...

in the Midwest it's a love/hate thing.

EVERYONE feels like a child when the first flurries start. You get a little giddy. and your kindergarten persona kicks in. "It's Snoooooooowing! hehehehe"

As you become a more experienced driver in the snow you will HATE the start of the snow. Because people drive as if they never have seen it in their lives. "Learn to DRIVE!!! I have places to BE!!!! ...*grumble* **** snow."

There are the mornings after a large snow when... even the plainest vistas look like a magnificent Christmas card. There is the child-like thrill to be the first to trek across a pathless yard. When the icicles hang from every branch... you think - God, himself, must have painted this scene just for me.

By February/March...it isn't so pretty and wonderful. And you grumble anytime the weatherman mentions the stuff. You will question WHY you EVER wanted to leave Florida (there IS a reason you are deluged with snowbirds...and you will finally understand why they will be a CONSTANT fixture in SE Florida).

One thing you learn very quickly.... the wet snow which is prize for snowball fights and building forts and snowmen, is MURDER for shoveling. Your kids will be banging off the walls with joy, and you will be cursing it. On the other hand...the wispy dry snow will disappoint the children (you can't pack it worth sh**), but it's a breeze to shovel.

Speaking of shovels.... you need one. They have these great shovels that are actually on my Christmas list. The handle is in the shape of a z...but it helps relieve back-aches.

Shoveling is a WONDERFUL work-out. An Average drive way and a good snow can replace the gym ANY DAY. Snowblowers are quick, and I love them. There is a zen that comes with clearing snow...sort-of like mowing a lawn. You get instant gratification.

Getting away from shoveling.... walking in the morning, on a not-to-cold day...but hearing the crunch of your shoes against the snow. THAT is zen. (Like I say...it's love/hate. There are moments of PURE BLISS!) And dirty slush can depress all the good thoughts you ever had about the snow.

Snow is the reason I no longer drive a "car". I have gotten stuck in drifts TOO OFTEN. Now i drive a .. what DO you call this thing? Not an SUV...but a mini version of one (I drive a Saturn Vue). I am ABOVE the drifts. And like Scarlett O'Hara vowed never to be hungry again...I swore I would never get caught in a drift again. (Huh, but I did last winter. After a spin on icy roads, I had to be pulled out of a ditch.)

You need to pack your car for the winter. A shovel, a windshield scraper/brush, a blanket, snacks (in case you have to bunk out in your car until help comes...or maybe LONG LONG commutes. I have faced commutes of what WOULD take me about 20 minutes on a clear day can take hours on a bad winter day.), you should NEVER travel in the winter without a cellphone plastered to your body...and plan for driving time to be extended (sometimes, greatly).

I can't IMAGINE singing Christmas carols in balmy weather? How DOES one sing about and get in the mood with Rudolph and Silver and Gold when you look out onto palm trees or cactus????? Christmas IS cold and snow!

That's why by Jan. 10th... we are all DREAMING about living where you want to leave.

But once you live in an area that not only experiences...but ADORES and RELISHES the change of all four seasons.. you will wonder how you could live ANYWHERE else.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2009

Okay, kc, I have to call you out on the Runza thing. My roommate from NE raved about them, and when I went home with her one time she of course took my there. I just didn't quite get them...

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2009

Oh, and I forgot to add that my favorite color is the color of snow. And no, it is not white. It is white and blue and purple and irridescent (actually, every color but yellow ;)). My favorite sight in the whole world is a field on a sunny day after it snows--when the pine trees are covered with snow, the ice glistens on the branches, and you just see acres of unbroken white fields in between. Yes, there are the hassles of living with it, but I have always loved the snow! It's actually in my genes--my grandpa's license plate was LUVSNO.

(And McKenna--the driving is even worse when you move to a place that gets less snow, but still gets it a few times a year. Then people REALLY have absolutely no idea how to drive when there's an inch of snow and the roads are just wet--in other words, in the good conditions we're used to for most of winter!)

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 21, 2009

Oh...adding about driving in snow. City snow driving is one thing... but country is another. As a city person I never understood "white out conditions". I thought that people in the country were just...pardon the term...pussies. Whine Whine Whine.

Then I taught for a few years out in the open planes (outside the city...and WHOA! it's DANGEROUS! Imagine the deepest fog you have been in...now add freezing temperatures and slick roads.

The funny thing is... you travel a few miles and get into the city (same day-a few minutes later)...and it's clear and you wonder what all the fuss on the radio is about.

When they call school due to white out conditions... it's serious stuff.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

wow...I'm chuckling listening to the driving stories. We complain about "rain driving" in S. Florida. It can suddenly start dumping rain so hard you can't see the end of your car, let alone the road in front of you. The streets can quickly become knee deep with water (this is common...you only hear about it on the news when it doesn't drain within a couple of hours....we call them "frog drowners). Those of us who are native to the area start kevetching about people who can't bleeping drive in bleeping rain.

I'm going to take a wild stab here and say that, while the situations might be different, some of the techniques might be similar (no traction situations), so I will definitely take Alice's advise and find myself an empty parking lot to practice in.

I've put in a flurry of applications all over the region this weekend. I did 9 Saturday night and 5 last night. Today I'm going to start calling apartment complexes in the three cities that my applications are concentrated in (Billings, MT, Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND) to get an idea of their policies for doing all of the paperwork from out of state. I'd like to just be able to drive "home", but if I need to budget for a week long hotel stay, then I need to know that.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2009

Is that a blizzard joke?? :p

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

No, just the bad pun genes from my father's side. I can't help it sometimes. Heck, half the time I don't even realize I'm doing it.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

:lol::lol::lol:

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

After reading this, it makes me want to pack up and move!!!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

I'll be selfish and say COME HERE TO OHIO! Send me a PM if you're halfway interested in applying to my school. You can teach from anywhere in the state from the comfort of your own home (no need to go out in the snow but no snow days).

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2009

I think here in central Ohio we have it good. We get snow sometimes, so we get to sled and build snowmen, but we also get a break from it and don't get the severe bitter cold temperatures on a regular basis like some other states. The northern part of the state gets a lot more snow because of the lake, but I like the balance we have here.

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

I agree! The winters are much milder here in Ohio than in Iowa, Nebraska, or the Dakotas. Those "Alberta clippers" hit those states hard!

I like Columbus because it's got all the "big city" stuff, but it has a friendly "community" feel to it. Plus, we now have the #1 Zoo in America!

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2009

Yep. (And I can't wait to see the polar bear exhibit!) I don't think anyone PLANS to move to Columbus. "Let's see, I can live anywhere in the world. Where should I go? I know! Columbus, Ohio!" But I think most of us end up liking it a lot when we find ourselves here. We've got every store, restaurant, and ethnicity you can imagine. You can live in the heart of the city or in a suburb with a small-town feel, or out in the country. Just a short drive takes you to beautiful Amish country. I love seeing the buggies. And our metro parks are AWESOME. I could go on and on.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

Oooooo.....I LOVE Jeni's - and now she getting more shops around the city so I don't have to go all the way to the North Market to get some. (Although, North Market is on my list of things to do over the Christmas break!)

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Clearly it'snow joke at all.

Or a really good snow job.

If you get my drift.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2009

Leave it TG to come up with some more puns! :lol:

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

And, stg, you can take that to the... bank.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

I got pulled over in Columbus once. The officer let me off with a warning :D

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

:lol:

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Well, mm, you already knew that, when it comes to puns, I'm not just a flake.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Oh, and go check my "Early math?" thread, wouldja?

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Already did. Too, me a while to read the article.

By the way, for those of you who are selling Ohio...you win. I'm adding the state to my search area.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Will Ohio be far enough from family, though, mm? And sufficiently nasty of winter?

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Northern Ohio...there's still the great lake effect :D.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

It is a little close to trave routes though.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

That's what I was thinking.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

Have we concluded that Idaho doesn't work? If not, western Idaho/eastern Washington is pretty country.

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

I'm not sure about Idaho in general. It's shaped funny :D. Seriously though, have haven't even thought about Idaho. I sort of figured the Dakotas would work, then looked into the surrounding states.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

("It's shaped funny," intones the lady whose natal state is nothing but panhandles. Sheesh.)

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

It's not nothing but panhandles...it's a panhandle and a, um, errr, ahhh, something phalliac :D

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

Something to grab in either case, eh?

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

There is no possible way to enter this conversation and remain (or suddenly become) rational.

So I'll change the topic and say Good Morning!

39. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

:p

Good morning to you too :D.