Penn State penalties

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I think by taking away the wins the little star will be brought up...
    The sad thing is most us now know he was the winningest coach...but was taken away...does it really change my life either way...nope but too many he will still be the winningest coach whether the stat says it our not....

I would be really disheartened as a member of the team who worked hard all year long to now have my wins turned to loses...

2. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I also agree with and applaud their actions. Frankly, I think they should have suspended the entire football program for a number of years. I don't think they're trying to punish students, but the program as a whole. They need to give some kind of major punishment to prevent this kind of horrible story in the future. It's really just beyond comprehension. I still haven't gotten over the shock and disgust of how many people just sit by and let children be abused. I just wish Paterno was alive to see the result of his [lack of] actions.

They ARE letting students transfer immediately when normally they'd have to sit out a season, which keeps the current students from being completely stuck.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

Bison... the worst part is most recruiting is already done...so these players probably will get no scholarship to play any more...

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

It's unfortunate for those students, but I don't think it means they should just let this slide without major consequences.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

Agree... there should be major consequences...but we seem to be missing some really key people not getting hung out to dry like Joe is... (Not that I'm supporting what Joe did, but others seem to be cowering in his shadow as they push him out to take them blame {which is sad since he is dead})!!! The even higher ups should be getting some major "discipline" as well....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I totally agree that there are more people who need to be held responsible.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

It is easy to make the guy who is dead the full scapegoat.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

Agreed... not that Joe is innocent..

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2012

The vast majority of college athletes never go on to play the sport professionally. For former PSU players, they got an education and had the experience of a lifetime. Nobody can take that away. The punishments affect the present players and not the past (with the exception of Paterno).
    People are having a hard time dealing with this because Paterno was not seen as just a football coach, but as the grandfatherly guy with the ivy league education who just wanted everyone to get a good education. He was a moral leader and that's why supporters are looking for more evidence before they convict him. After all he's not here to testify.
    BTW and FYI, 2 PSU officials have been charged with lying to a grand jury and there is a current and ongoing grand jury investigating the cover up.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I disagree with the sanctions.

You remove every person involved in the "cover up". You punish them personally...not the school, not former players, not records, not fans.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2012

The Pete Rose and OJ situations are different for me than Paterno's.
    Their records and accomplishments happened before a crime was committed. In Paterno's case, the wins and fame were occurring DURING the crimes.

Just my opinion

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

Oh, I know you weren't Leigh!

I totally agree with Mary-this isn't about players past. It's about Paterno, the present program, and the future football culture of PSU.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

I think the problem with suspending the whole program is that there are so many businesses in State College that rely on the tourism the team generates.

The NCAA is now coming up with incentives for schools who will take in PSU players - increased scholarships, etc. They should be able to find a new home if they want to play. Yes, it's short notice - I would imagine most football teams would be making their way back to campus by now. But they should be able to find something.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

Not to mention the other teams that PSU plays...they make a ton of money getting beat by PSU.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2012

Silver... I'm sure the fball teams have been there a lot longer than just heading back... I mean there are colleges around here and they put on "College fball players are at their spring camps."

I hope the other teams are open to these players...