Penicils: Missing in Action

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ncruz000, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

My Kindergartners get a sharpened pencil as soon as they walk in every morning. By half a day a handful have misplaced it. This usually occurs a lot during transitioning and its usually the same students. Any suggestions in how to prevent pencils from "disappearing"?

Thank you,
    Everyone have a great year,

Naomi

3. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Pencils

My kids are given a pencil box with their own crayons and a pencil that is labeled with their name. They use it the entire year. They never misplace it. After each use it is returned to their box which also has their name on it.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

Even with the boxes, mine managed to misplace pencils, crayons, even scissors! I saw an idea (maybe on here?) I might try -- put a small piece of velcro near the top of the pencil & the other on their table/name tag. No more missing pencils! :D

5. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for the velcro idea..

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2011

I keep a basket of extra sharpened pencils out, any pencils found on the floor go in an unsharpned pencil basket and I have student helpers (5th graders) sharpen them after school. I also have a basket of extra crayons so when they loose the red crayon they can go get it and we put extra loose pencils in it. I keep it stocked by putting the better looking crayons in there when we get new boxes (about every 9 weeks) and an occasional new box that I buy cheap at back to school sales.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

I give each child a pencil at the beginning of the year. I write their initials with a sharpie on it. They don't get a new one until November/December... If they "lose" their pencil, they must use one from the "lost and found pencils" these are pencils leftover from the year before...they are usually missing an eraser and have teeth marks on them. I rarely have a child actually lose more than the first pencil...nobody wants a nasty chewed up pencil...I make a big deal of it...I say something like, "OH NO! I sure do hate you can't find your pencil...guess you'll have to use one of those old ones leftover from last year." They usually find the missing one by the end of the day...usually it's in their cubbie or in a neighbor's chair pocket. I give the children a total of 3-4 pencils the entire year! Usually one every 9 weeks!:) I love this system! AND, the kids who find a pencil on the floor read the initials and go to our class list on the bulletin board and try to figure out who the rightful owner is!:)

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I write their numbers on the pencils. The kids get really good at returning them to their owners.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

I write my student's name on their pencils, each crayon, their eraser, and their tool box. then they areresponsible for their own things. I model model model a the beginning of the year how to keep all their things safe, and collected in their tool box, and really, rarely have lost pencils or crayons. Definately worth my time.

10. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for the awesome idea..I think I will try this...:)