Penguin Art Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MimiBee, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 15, 2008

Help! I need some cute, easy penguin art activities for my preschoolers! :help:

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Feb 15, 2008

We just got done a week of learning about penguins and I just had the kids make their own penguins to hang with penguin poems they wrote. I actually did have tracers for the black body, white belly, lil flippers, and beak, but I decided that I wanted the kids to do thier freehand, becasue penguins look different: some short, some fat, some tall, etc. They can out really cute and we added goggle eyes. For preschool you may want tot stick with tracers.

4. msj

msj Companion

Feb 15, 2008

I did penguins last month. I traced the outline on black paper and let the kids cut it out (even 2's with alittle help). Then I just cut out a white oval belly, an orange triangle beak, and two little yellow feet. The children glued it together and wrote their names on the belly. We also glued super big google eyes on them (oversized). They looked so cute! I have a picture of them, if you let me know your email I'll send it to you.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

We do torn paper penguins, they are very cute. Take 8.5 x 11.5
    pieces of black and white construction papers and tear them into 4 sections. Tear enough so each child gets a section of each color. Have the children tear the papers, as best as they can, around the edges. Glue the white piece onto the black piece, add wiggly eyes and a small triangle beak.

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Feb 15, 2008

i did the same penguins as msj and they turn out really cute - and i also did thumb/fingerprint penguins. i gave the kids a bunch of white squares of paper (approx. 1 inch) and let them glue them on their paper as igloos and icebergs and then we dipped their thumb in black paint for the body and index finger in white for the tummy - we made a little thumb circle at the top for the head - and i went back later with a toothpick and added a little orange paint for feet and beak - they turned out SOO cute - some of them made them sliding on the "ice" or jumping off.

7. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Feb 15, 2008

I do cute handprint penguins. Paint a child's whole hand black. Have them hold their three center fingers together, while their pinky and thumb are separated from the others. Make one or two prints like this on a piece of construction paper. Now turn the paper around so the fingers are pointing down. When paint is dry, glue a white oval on the three fingers (a little more narrow than the three fingers width). Glue google eyes and a beak on the palm area. You have a penguin! The thumb and pinky are the two flippers.

8. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 17, 2008

Thanks, all. Very cute ideas!

9. Miss A

Miss A Rookie

Feb 17, 2008

I did penguins during my zoo theme in October. I used white styrofoam egg cartons and cut them apart in doubles (shape of an 8). Use small orange construction paper triangles for beaks. Use black tear drop shape construction paper shapes for wings and cut small hearts out of paper or use heart shaped woodsies for the feet.

Have your students use black paint and paint the edges of the double egg carton pieces. Then glue the "parts" in their appropriate places. Draw on eyes. Then if you wish you can glue mini pompon balls for ear muffs and attach a small piece of pipe cleaner for the ear muff band.

These turned out sooo cute and can stand on their own without falling over! Of course I only had one sided penguins but if you wish you can glue another set of the double 8 shaped egg carton to the back and have the kids paint the back black too.

Have fun!

10. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Feb 17, 2008

We traced our shoes for the outlines of our penguins, used white paint for the belly, and glued on beak, eyes, wings, and feet.

11. Preschool Prof

Preschool Prof Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

we did two different types of penguins. #1 had the basic 'bowling pin' body shape in black(about 8 inches). The kids glued googly eyes on and orange web feet. Then and I had them fold an orange diamond shape in half for the beak/mouth, and glue that on too. Then they painted the belly with the puffy paint mixture (glue and shaving cream). They really came out cute. For penguin number #2 I had a smaller penguin shape. They made a face with white crayon (just eyes and a mouth). They glued orange web shapes for the feet.Then I painted their whole hand with white paint. I turned the penguin upside down and they put their handprint on the belly. When the penguin is right side up it looks so cute.