Pending license....no job offers. HELP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissM920, Jul 21, 2013.

1. MissM920

MissM920 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

I have a unique situation. I graduated in May with my Master's degree and applied for my license as soon as I passed my last state exam. However, the state is backed up to NOVEMBER 2012 on processing licenses.....

I am job hunting and i'm afraid school districts and private sped schools are overlooking me due to not actually having a license yet, but I don't see it coming until about January. I put it in my cover letter, but they have to get to that part first...

Any suggestions?

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

Put (pending) after your license on your résumé.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2013

Your local schools know the deal. Put pending and date applied on your resume.

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 21, 2013

Yes. Honestly, I would not worry about the pending license too much. In Missouri school districts can call DESE to expedite the process if they have a contracted teacher pending certification. I assume that is also a possibility in your state.

6. MissM920

MissM920 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

It DOES say pending, but I've already had three schools (private SPED schools) call to get more info on it, and then say they can't hire anybody without the actual license.

If a school or district has two people with otherwise equal experience and credentials, but the actual license is missing, don't you think they'd just not go through the hassle of the one without it? I'm just afraid i'm getting looked over because of it.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 21, 2013

Honestly, I have never heard of such a thing. It's normal for states to take months to process licenses. I graduated this past December and actually had job offers before I graduated, I certainly did not have my license at that point. Once I graduated, my district was really heavy about putting the pressure on me to furnish the license, but once I told them I submitted all the paperwork before I even graduated, they contacted the state department of education. Once they were able to confirm that my paperwork had been submitted and it was only a matter of the people in Raleigh processing and sending out the license, it was no longer an issue. In fact, my district had the state send the license directly to them. The only thing that not having the license in my possession did was make it where I was only paid "sub" pay. Once they got my license, they back paid me everything. It ended up finally getting to my district in late March, so it took them over 4 months to process.

I can't imagine why it would be a big deal seeing as they can contact the state and verify that you will be issued a license--and it is only a matter of them being slack in your capital, not you.

??

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 21, 2013

That is rather weird. Someone on my team didn't get his license until January, but he was still hired. The only time it affected him was he wasn't allowed to apply for his current job until his license came through. When it did, he was re-hired.