Pencils?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Ms.V, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Ms.V

Ms.V New Member

Feb 3, 2009

My kids get in and out of the classroom all day. The coming and going has caused the pencils to dissapear from my classroom. I had to ask parents and other teachers to donate pencils, so we are ok for now. How would you prevent this from happening, without interrupting instruction? Any ideas?:help:

3. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Feb 3, 2009

In my class, if they want a pencil, they need to give me something for it. An ID, a calculator, a shoe, ANYTHING. And I STILL don't get all my pencils/pens back :eek:

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 3, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I made marks on all of my pencils with markers. I assign a "pencil person" when I give them out. I count the pencils that go out. No one leaves until I get every pencil. It is tough because you want to get to academics, but it is imperative that the students learn this life skill. They need to be responsible and return things that don't belong to them. I get so tied up with not getting to the content and that upsets me.It is the major cause of my stress. I hope I helped. It is difficult.

5. reverie

reverie Companion

Feb 3, 2009

What if you made those crazy flower attachments to the pencils? Or would they play with them too much?

6. Blaster

Blaster Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

I did the flowers last term and they were in a vase. The flowers, pencils, and pens disappeared. Since I teach Foods this term I put plastic forks on the penciles and pens and ask for deposit.

7. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

Our school also has alot of switching rooms for math and reading. A first-grade teacher I work with has velcroed pencils to the kids' desks, and these are the pencils they are to use in math and reading. The pencils have soft velcro wrapped around them close to the eraser, and hard velcro on the desk. Before dismissing the classes back to their homerooms, she checks that pencils are on the desk. At no time are visiting children allowed into the desks of her homeroom, so no supplies are "borrowed". I think this has worked very well.

8. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

I have the very same procedures in my classroom. One student is the pencil mechanic, who sharpens all the pencils( which have the students' names on them) in the morning and collects them all after the day is over. Before we leave for lunch or enrichment, I tell the students: "Pencils on desks."
    Bumble is right, students need to show responsibility, especially for that which does not belong to them.

9. simplicity

simplicity New Member

Feb 18, 2009

I also use 'You can have a pencil for a deposit (ANYTHING - except money).

With classes that cause issues related to forgetting books, pens I have a laminated sheet and mark down those that continually keep forgetting things. If they forget three times then there will be a sanction!! :D

10. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Feb 18, 2009

What do you mean by "sanction"?

11. simplicity

simplicity New Member

Feb 19, 2009

A sanction is equivalent to a consequence - staying behind, or cleaning up.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2009

I bought a load of cheap pens and pencils from the shop. Niow if they want one they pay me 10p (about 15 cents) for one and they can keep it. Despite the fact that they have paid for one they frequently leave them behind at the end of the lesson. Thus I can sell them again!

13. SocWkr-Tchr

SocWkr-Tchr Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

I have a "donation box." I put a few pencils in there to begin with. When ever I see one left on a desk, floor, etc. I put it in the donation box. Whenever a student asks me if I have a pencil, I tell them to look in the donation box. I've never run out of pencils in the donation box, but my plan is that if there's not on in there, then they have to find their own.

14. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

Why don't the students just bring their own pencils to use in class?

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 5, 2009

For those who are asking for a security deposit (yet not getting the pencil back)... why not ask for something that they CAN"T go without.

Pencils before lunch... give me your lunch
    Pencils before the end of the day...give me your backpack or your coat

I'm thinking of anything that they surely can't leave without.

Or have you thought of having them wear a gym penny (a covering like a over the head vest with sides that are opened and attach by stings at the waist). Hey, is it embarrassing? Gee! Keep hold of your own pencil then!

You aren't going to miss a neon orange penny going out the door. Payment back at the end of the day is the penny and the pencil.

Hmmmm "pencil pennies" I think I like that!

16. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

So, do they walk around with missing shoes all day?:lol: