Pencils

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Unetheladyteacher, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2023

I teach a small group of students who require specialized services, and I teach mostly out of my classroom. Other teachers use my classroom to teach students because they need the space to provide small group instruction or test accomodations. Other teachers who use my classroom have my permission to let their students use my supplies, because it only seems fair to share things with people who have a lot more students than I do. This year, however, I have noticed that students from other classes are doing what I call "eating pencils." That is, a large number of pencils are being used in a short period of time. How do I solve this problem, especially since these are not students I directly teach, or should I let it go?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 12, 2023

Cut your losses and stop sharing materials.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Cohort

Jan 12, 2023

It's annoying, I know. My kids eat pencils too. Get over it or get smarter about it. If it bothers you enough, do what I do and label your pencils. Mine have a distinct stripe of washi tape so when I find one, I take it back and everyone knows it's mine. All of my supplies are labeled. One pattern for my personal property; one for school property designated for my use. I do push-in instruction and my "office" is shared with 3 full-time staff and 2 itinerant therapists. We share materials, but everyone's stuff is labeled. Alternately, hide your stock of pencils and just leave an acceptable loss out. Once they're gone, they're gone. It's not your job to provide an ongoing supply to kids who aren't yours. If your generosity is being abused, don't feel guilty.

5. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 19, 2023

It bothers me some, because I recently blew through most of the supply of pencils I had in one of those large ziplock bags during the first half of this year. I work in both buildings district-wide, and the elementary students are the main group of students who are taking large amounts of pencils. The high school teachers who use the "office" I share with two other teachers are way better about making sure their students only use the supplies they need. I will take your advice and only put out the pencils that I feel comfortable giving away. If need be, I will start labeling pencils at the elementary level.

I have started putting away supplies at the high school and not letting teachers use them because someone took some of my supplies. Now, I have no blackboard eraser, and a teacher who uses my room thought it was okay to use a dry erase board eraser to erase the blackboard in the room. Some of my dry erase board erasers are breaking, and I don't have an unlimited supply. It makes me sad that teachers are the reason I am hiding things at the high school, but I am done with people misusing my supplies.

Thank you all for your help.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 19, 2023

I think that sometimes people will take advantage of us without realizing it. "Oh, the pencils are here so I guess we can use them. I didn't buy them myself so I'm not monitoring my students' use of them". It's nice of you to share but sometimes people just go overboard and are not mindful of others.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2023

I bought a gross of pencils with “Return to Mrs. LastName” on them. It helped some.

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2023

Do you have IKEA in the US? If you do just visit and 'borrow' a few handfuls of their pencils.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 23, 2023

We don't have one around here. Do they just have them laying around?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2023

Yes, they do. However, they’re to be used when you are shopping. I don’t recommend stealing them for your classroom. That’s no different than kids stealing them from your class.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 23, 2023

Ahh interesting. I've always wanted to check out that store.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:19 PM

Yes they have them in dispensers. Just grab a handful. In the UK we also have a store called Argos and a DIY store called screwfix that have a similar system. I haven't paid for a pencil in the last 40 years. (PS, some people think screwfix is actually a dating agency)! LOL

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:22 PM

Do you have bookmakers in the US? Over here they are also a source of pencils. They always have boxes of them out in the shop so you can write out betting slips. Just put a dozen in your pocket.

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:24 PM

I expect you are going to tell me next not to go to the wallpaper store to tear off samples so you can cover your exercise books!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:43 PM

I’m not going to do it, but have at it if you want. I see zero difference in kids taking my pencils and me taking a store’s pencils. Even if they do have the pencils out for customers to use, it’s for one person to use one pencil, not for them to load up their pockets.

Last year when I was choosing a paint color for my craft room, I was surprised to find out that they were having issues with teachers coming in and clearing out their paint sample cards for classroom projects, so when people actually wanted to use their for their actual purpose, they were out of luck.

I didn’t know covering books with wallpaper samples was a thing. Years ago wallpaper stores would give their sample books to people when they were outdated. I know some teachers used them for projects. Honestly, I haven’t even seen a wallpaper store in many years.

16. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:42 AM

We have Ikea, but only in towns and cities that are big enough to have them. I live in a fairly small town that I am pretty sure only exists because of the college in it, so we don't have an Ikea. We don't even have a target or a bookmaker or certain other similar stores. I would never take pencils from a store, though. That is the same as students taking too many things from their teachers and thinking it is okay to do so.

I have started separating my pencils into "acceptable loss" and "these are for me" piles. I also brought more pencils over from the high school, because I still have a lot of pencils at the high school. I am also going to label my supplies at the elementary school because I want to see where they are most often being used.
    I agree. I have asked grocery stories if I can borrow the twisty ties they leave out for people to use to tie the plastic bags you put fresh food in and they laughed at me. I guess stores are used to people taking their things without asking. I won't do it, though.