Pencils

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Ms.SLS, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

I know people have different opinions about pencil procedures. In the past, if the kid was missing a pencil, I'd find something out of my desk or around the room for them to write with.

This year, I'm trying to streamline that process a little. I got a magnet basket. I'm thinking I will stick a few pencils in the basket. If someone needs a pencil, they can go get it independently, and write their name on the board. When they return the pencil, they can erase their name.

Now, I've been brainstorming possible ways for my creative lil 7th graders to muck up this system. So far, all I've been able to think of is playing with the white board, which is easy to stop.

What other things should I be ready to trouble shoot?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

It's hard at the end of class to make sure that students return the pencil. Many students will just forget that they borrowed a pencil and walk out with it when the bell rings.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

I usually buy pencils when they're really cheap over the summer and put them in a drawer under the counter in my classroom. I bought so many packs of pencils at Walgreens last year when they were only 19 cents that the cashier thought I was crazy. I tell students on the first day of school where they are in case they ever need one. They can just help themselves and don't need to ask. I have done this for three years now and have never had an issue with it. I don't mind if students keep them for the day, as long as they don't make a habit of taking one every single day.

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

*sigh* I accept this, I'm just hoping perhaps that if their name is on the board, either they will remember more often or I will remember to get it back from them more often.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Something that I started last year that was pretty successful with my students was giving them passes. Basically, I gave each student a pass per week to use the restroom, go to their locker, etc. If a student didn't have the correct supplies, I would loan them what they needed for a pass. If the students returned the supply at the end of class, they got their pass back. The students didn't often forget to return supplies.

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I have a hook hanging by the pencil cup and a person in charge each week. If the student needs a pencil,they see that person, then that person will take the students ID, hang it up and give them the pencil. At the end of the class the assigned student collects the pencils and return the IDs. The only person allowed to go to the pencil cup is the assigned student. Yes some pencils still walk out of the class but not near as many as before. Sometimes a student will forget to return it and by lunch or the end of the day they will come by to get it and I tell them I need my pencil back. They usually have it.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

It's definitely nice if you can take IDs for a pencil. In our middle school, they need their ID for their lunch ticket, to check out library books, anytime they go anywhere in the hallway.

9. secondtaylor

secondtaylor New Member

Jul 30, 2012

Another issue I can see with what you're thinking is that the students could just take a pencil without writing their name on the board at all. Hopefully you'd notice them and such, but that's silly a possibility. I think it is regardless, though.

This is what I'm going to try with pencils this year:
    I have a sharp and an unsharp container. I've put about 30 sharpened pencils in the sharp container. I'm going to tell my students that if they have an unsharpened pencil, they can put it in the unsharp container and take a sharp one. If they want to trade back at the end of class, and sharpen theirs, they can do that. If they do not have a pencil at all, they can borrow one of mine from the sharp container. They should remember to put it back, though, because the 30 pencils in there now are the only ones I'm going to put in there. When and if they run out because people are taking them, I'm not going to put anymore back in there and they'll just have to use their own. I hope this works and I have a feeling it will. When I substituted 7th grade, I'd find pencils on the floor constantly. I'm going to encourage students to put these pencils in the containers when they find them. I'll do the same.

My brother is also a teacher and he charges students 25 cents for students to borrow a pencil. If they return his pencil at the end of class, he'll give them the 25 cents back. If not, he keeps the money. If they don't have 25 cents, they just have to borrow one from classmates.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Make them Driver Licenses,
    :cool: AND use them as IDs.
    I made DLs for my Pre-k class that they are getting this week. They will use these for the centers. I made them the same size as a driver license, with their small pictures, the school and the address, and the year. I did not put any of their personal infos on them.
    There are some students who use whatever they find to drive around the room with. I made PEACE signs; double sided with their choices of colors, as their driving wheels. I need to laminate them. They:love:them!
    Rebel1

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

Can you elaborate some more on your pass system? Was it just one pass per week? What did you use to keep track of who got the passes, etc?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

One thing I think you should be prepared for is for students to not write their names on the board, like just sneak/steal pencils and not give them back.

13. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

They need them for those things at my school as well. Hence the importance of them returning the pencil to get their ID before leaving my class

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Yea, I'm sure they will. I almost always notice if kids are around my desk/board area so *hopefully* I can catch it.

15. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

I had several teachers in middle school that would make us take off our shoe and put it by their desk to receive a pencil. I remember sitting there thinking it was the dumbest idea ever. Who want's stinky shoes sitting at the front of the room? I would see some kids take off their shoe and their white socks would be nearly black! Yuck! I remember one kid took off his shoe and it smelled so bad I almost threw up. Middle school students aren't known for their best practices in hygiene. One of the kids got so embarrassed, he went to the counselor, who in turn reported to the Principal that some of the teachers were making kids take of shoes if they didn't have supplies. After this it stopped. I guess he told them that they couldn't take anything off a students body as collateral for supplies. Lol

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 4, 2012

Two things: I bought a bunch of those tiny golf pencils. They hate those, but it teaches them to value "proper pencils."

Bartering. You want a good pencil? Trade something. A bracelet. I took one boy's shoe. That way, you get your pencil back at the end of the period.

17. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

Oh I've known teachers to do this. The students absolutely hate those things. I'm thinking of investing this year. Not because I am trying to get them mad, it's just that I've tried having them trade in items, borrow pencils, given pencils - nothing has worked for me. Once I started bringing in pencils, it saved me some headaches, but my wallet couldn't handle it. It's like the kids stopped bringing stuff at all because they knew I'd have it.

Still not sure how to handle it this year.

18. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

Ha! I've done the same thing. They do hate it, but it works. I bought a pen attached to a chain (like in the bank) that will be attached to the front table for the bathroom signout sheet this year.

19. Teach824

Teach824 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

I have tried the "I only have this amount of pencils/pens for the year, you can borrow if you need to but if they are not replaced I am not buying anymore." It doesn't work. I also told them about picking pencils from the floor if they see them. It doesn't work. The bartering idea I like but it takes class time so I only do it before a state test. I have also done the golf pencil thing. They hate it at the beginning but end up liking it and thinking it is 'cool'.

Last year I gave my students four passes for the year and I told them that they could use it to leave my classroom for anything (bathroom, walk around, forgot something in another room etc) but if they saved it until the end of year they could turn it in for extra points on their final grade or submit them instead of a double entry journal (a 3 page worksheet that they had to complete for every book they read and that they hate). It work, some students used all four passes early in the year and others saved them. All of them valued their passes because they knew that it was only four.

I think this year I will try the pass for the pencil idea. Let's see if it works ....

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 11, 2012

I loaded up on penny packs of pencils one year, and I've also bought ones imprinted with "Return to Mrs. Teacher" on them.

I don't have any "good" pencils lying about for kids to grab. I have a "loaner pencils" basket where I toss pencils that I find on the floor. Those are up for grabs. So far this year (one week), I haven't had to loan a single pencil. If there are no loaner pencils, I keep some in my desk drawer that I'll loan. I never expect them back, so it's a nice treat when they give it back.

Last year's group was awful for never having pencils or paper. I started putting 10 pencils in the loaner basket every Monday morning, and they rarely made it to second period. They started using my colored pencils and crayons because they didn't have any pencils.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

I like to use golf pencils. They are the mini ones with no erasers. Buy a couple of boxes and offer only these for students who are unprepared. While it pisses the kids off not to have an eraser, it teaches the lesson that either they bring their own supplies or they get what they get.

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

At my last school I would start the day by saying "who needs a pencil or paper?" because most kids would come unprepared. For paper I always used recycled paper. I would cut the pieces in half and give out half sheets. Pencils- I managed to stay pretty well stocked and only had to buy a few times. Every time a career fair came through I'd tell my kids "whoever brings back the most pens and pencils gets extra credit!" I ended up with about 100 pens and pencils in just one day! :haha: I also picked up pens and pencils off the floor all the time for my stash.

I think one thing you could try is do what the banks do-- tape a big obnoxious flower or a sign that says "MS. SO-SO'S PENCIL" on the top of the pencil. It'll be harder for them to forget to return it, or sneak it out of class.