Pencil Sharpeners........

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Pattypoo, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I go through one electric pencil sharpener a year. Can anyone recommend one that will withstand the colored pencils?

3. wendi

wendi Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

Patty,
    Sorry I spelled your name wrong in another post.
    One year I think my class went through at least four pencil sharpeners! Since then, I've removed it from their reach! I actually kept it on a tray in a cabinet by an outlet when I taught elementary. That made it easy for me to use, and the kids didn't even know it was there. (I only used it after school.)
    In my 3-6 class, I just left it out unplugged, and in 4 years maybe only 1 or 2 kids ever tried it or even asked about it.
    I have manual ones out for the class to use, of course, and I think it's better for them to use these anyway. It's a skill in itself for some of them! This past year I put it out as a work. I thought it'd help a bit with my prep work! One less thing to do; I figured I'd put out the pencils they sharpened and add the unsharpened ones to the basket, but it didn't go over that well. I even tried variations, but only one boy ever seemed to do it! Oh well! Post it if you ever do find a good sharpener, and I will, too!

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

Thanks Wendi and welcome to the board. Only the teachers use the electric pencil sharpener. We have the manual kind for the children to use. I wish I could find one just for color pencils. I did a look up on the internet, but I didn't find anything. I will let you know if I do find a good one!

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Are your colored pencils being torn up by the sharpener or vice versa? If its the pencils, try using Crayola - I hate to recommend a specific brand but they are the only pencils I've found that don't tear up in a sharpener.

My sharpener (a Boston) usually lasts about a year.

This year I'm trying a really expensive one - it claims to be "commercial grade", and I'll let you know how it does.

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

It seems that the sharpeners will only sharpen to a point or usually only half sharpens the colored pencils. We usually only use the crayola. I never noticed if it is the same with different brands. Let me know how yours works out. Thanks!

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2006

We purchased a extra heavy duty sharpener last year from Classroom Direct and it didn't even hold up- I was the only one using the sharpener. I don't know if there is one that can handle the amount of pencils? Love to find one though.