pencil management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

UGGGGHHHHH!!!

my room doesn't have a manual sharpener. i was provided with an electric one, but i despise the noise. i only allow kids to use it in the morning. As a solution i provided each group of desks with a little sharpener inside a basket at each table. After one week i have decided that will not work. The kids somehow managed to get the shavings all over the floor and break half of them within a week. Then they want to sharpen every time their point is the least bit dull.

It is driving me bonkers!:mad:

Anyone have something in place for this already?

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

Here is my solution, my cooperating teacher did this last year and I really liked it.

I have my students set up in table clusters. Each week there is a new Senator at the table. On each table is a cup--I got mine at Target's dollar spot---and I wrote the table name on it. The kiddos put their dull, pencils that need sharpened in the cup. The kids can put up to two pencils a day into the cup. Each morning the senator sharpens everyones pencils and puts them back in the cup and their classmates get their pencils out. Only the senator can sharpen the pencils and only in the morning. I have an electric one too, but it's out in the hallway. If a kiddo really needs a pencil, I have some for them to use---pre sharpened. I hated having kids go in and out as they wanted when I LTS subbed last year to sharpen pencils. The system of the helper sharpening the pencils really worked great when I student taught. So hopefully it will work great with me. Hope this helps.

4. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I pretty much do the same thing. I don't like the noise of pencil sharpening during the instruction day, I have students sharpen two pencils in the morning and they are again allowed to sharpen after lunch before we get started again. I keep an unsharpened pencil basket and a sharpened pencil basket. If they are that desperate for a shaprened pencil they have to trade one of theirs for one of mine. Most of the time they don't want to give up their "fancy" pencil so it cuts down on the dull pencil situation.

5. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I use sort of the same technique as hdavidson. They have to sharpen 3 pencils in the morning, and that's it for the day. Since one of my rules is "be prepared" then when they need a new pencil they have to trade their pencil for one of my plain pencils or they can go ahead and sharpen their own, but then they owe me 5 minutes. I've never had a student opt to sharpen it in the middle of the day over taking one of mine.