Pen Pal Writing Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NoviceTutor, Feb 23, 2010.

1. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Feb 23, 2010

Hello,
    A six year old was asked to write a pretend pen pal letter describing where he lives using sensory details. What should the child include in his writing? Should he include other people he lives with too? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

3. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Feb 24, 2010

That is a tough job for a 6 year old, unless the student has had previous experience with letter writing and also with descriptive writing using all of the senses. With that said:
    First I think you need to make sure the student understands what a penpal is.
    Next, when the student writes the first letter, it should probably start with some ideas about himself or herself so that the penpal gets to know a little about the writer.
    I would suggest:
    My name is ___________
    I am __________ years old.
    I have ______ brothers and ________ sisters. They are ________(quiet, noisy)
    I go to _____________ school. It is ______. ( big small)
    My favorite snack at school is _________. I think it tastes______. (delicious, sweet, salty)
    I my favorite soft squishy toy is a __________. My favorite hard toy is a ___________. What are your favorite things?
    Your friend.

4. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Feb 24, 2010

Hello Jeanie, thanks for replying. Your suggestion is great, and thanks for reminding me to do the task analysis first. Your penpal letter frame is soooo helpful.