Pen Pal Program Request

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by titansrst, Oct 9, 2006.

1. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

I am a Grade 2 language arts teacher from the Paterson, NJ, school district. It is a poor, urban setting with some tough kids, but also some of the most wonderful, eager youngsters you'll ever meet. I have attempted to sign up with a number of pen pal groups to no avail. Could it be that so many are turned off by the fact that my kids are from the inner city, and thus, incapable of participating in such a program. I hope this isn't why we're being ignored, because my kids are just as capable as anyone else's.
    With this in mind, I'd love to participate in a pen pal program. I have 46 students, half African-American, half Hispanic. Many aren't proficient in terms of reading or writing, but this program will help get them to the Promised Land. I'd love for pix to be exhcanged and even some direct, computer-to-computer communication (guided by us, of course). Because of the large number of kids involved,I'd be willing to deal with more than one class. Please let me know if you're interested ASAP.
    Thanks.

RT

3. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

I'd like to be pen pals with you! However, I only have 17 students, and we're a 1/2 combo... some of my kids are reading at the 3rd grade level, and I have kids not reading much at all. Would you be interested? I'd like this as it would give them letter writing practice.

4. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

Oh, if you're interested, I can ask other classes if they want to participate as well.

5. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Pen Pals

Thanks for responding, and I'd love to take advantage of your offer. I don't have but three or four very good readers but enough of my students read well enough to make great pen pals with your better kids. If you send your break down, I'll match my kids with your so that pen pal teams will be of equal talent. For anyone else reading this, I still have 28 students looking for pen pals at the Grade 2 level, so please let me know if you're interested. Celestial, I eagerly await your response so we can set this up. Take Care and Thank You.

Ron S. Tuitt
    School 13
    Paterson, NJ

6. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Pen Pals

Again I thank you and ask that you tell other classes we have available pen pals needing partners. twenty-eight to be exact.

Ron

7. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Hi Ron,

It would fun to get this started. I have another friend who teaches n2nd grade here in California... she has 20 kids, I think, and she might be interested. I'll talk to her and let you know. But, my 17 would love to get started with you. We do Rigby for reading assessments. Would that help you in matching the kids up?

8. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Getting Started

We use DIBELS among other things. Why don't we use the group 'em method, meaning we go four groups with the Top being Group I, etc., up to four. Then we can match strengths. I'll be taking my kids' pictures this week for the project. I am really excited and believe both groups will benefit.

Ron

P.S. Of my top 17 I have six I'd put in group I and a solid 10, 15 in Group III and 13 in Group IV (such is the life of teaching in a poor urban district). But don't dismay, my lower-grouped children promise they'll give their best.

9. Ga Peach

Ga Peach Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

I have a friend who is a curriculum cordinator. This sounds like something she would love to participate in. I'll pass on the info
    Good luck