Peer-to-Peer Book Recs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherGreen, Aug 4, 2011.

1. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Hello! I'd love to start implementing peer-to-peer book recs in my classroom, but I wanted to know how you encourage this. Are they required to rec a book once a month, or do they just do it as the please? Also, how do you teach them how to write a review? Do you provide a writing frame? Lastly, did your kids seem to enjoy it?

Sorry for the overwhelming interview, haha. I just want this to be enjoyable for the students while improving their writing.

Thanks so much.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Once a week you could have kids gather on the carpet with books they nave recently read....have each share the books they have read and what kinds of readers who might enjoy those books.

For book reviews, look at www.spaghettibookclub.com for book reviews written by kids for kids.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

I have a book recommendation board with pockets. Our routine is: every week or every six days in a cycle (we go by letter days A-F), the students book shop for new books for the week. After they book shop, they choose one book that they have read since the last time they book shopped and write a quick book recommendation to a classmate. They pick someone who they think will enjoy the book. They fill out the recommendation form, place it in that person's pocket, then return back to their seats for morning work. This whole book shop/book recommendation thing takes about 10-15 min. I'm fine with that because only about 4-5 students book shop a day and they only book shop once every six days. So it doesn't take up too much time. The kids are orderly and learn the routine pretty fast.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2011

My son's teacher had them do book recommendations last year in 2nd grade. I'm not sure how it was done, but I know she had a pocket chart in the library with see through pockets that books were placed in.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2011

Beth Newingham has a lot of info on her site.