Peer note taking?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 12, 2019

I was reading elsewhere about various accommodations, and one that stood out to me was peer note-taking. I was curious.

How does this work in practicality? How is the peer responsible for the notes? Are they graded on the notes they prepare for another student? What happens if this peer student helper is absent?

3. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Sep 12, 2019

I’ve been in middle school sped for 20 years and I’ve never seen that type of accommodation on a students IEP. It would be unfair to the other student to be fully responsible for taking their own notes plus notes for another student.
    If the sped student is unable to take notes, then a class copy should be provided or even skeleton notes ( which are fill in the blank modified notes )

Backroads likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2019

I will occasionally photocopy a student's notes (always with their permission) to share with a student who is unable to take complete notes without support. I always expect the student to do their best on their own, then provide the completed notes afterward.

Backroads likes this.
  5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 12, 2019

One of my kids came in with that accommodation. I really do not have a peer capable of that so I give him a copy of my notes. It’s not following the IEP to the letter, but I think my notes are better than a peer so I’m not expecting pushback. If I do, I’ll just hand the P the roster.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and Michelle like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 12, 2019

:yeahthat:

7. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Sep 13, 2019

I’m really surprised that a case carrier would write that on an IEP.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 13, 2019

It does seem something difficult to guarantee

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

I have read IEP's with the accommodation listed for peer note taking. As I have seen it put into action, the "peer" always seems to be the SPED teacher who is usually a co-teacher in the classroom. A much better term would be guided notes, since that is what a teacher may provide for students who need help, maybe in being able to take their own notes, but who are able to use the guided notes to facilitate following the chain of thought so that learning takes place. My son had the inability to take handwritten notes until he was in the 3/4 grade. He had been taken out of the resource room, but still received help under the guidance of his CST. Notes were provided to him, and we also worked to get him able to type. His handwriting was very poor - problems with fine motor control, so even he couldn't read his own writing, had he taken the notes, and he wrote so slowly that he soon was unable to keep track of what was being said. The "peer" was always the co-teacher in his classes, who shared these documents, actually, with any child in need. Because my son was eventually slipped over to a 504 Plan, but still followed by the CST, it was common for any SPED teacher in the classroom to share any notes that had been prepared for any other student(s) in the class. By HS, he took his own notes, but had to transcribe them each night to be able to make them more readable. Eventually, he was allowed to record lectures on his cell phone for his own use. I believe that the computer was his salvation, coupled with a CST that cared deeply for all of the children under their care.

Backroads likes this.