Pediatric Stroller/Push Chair

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherpippi, Oct 12, 2015.

1. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 12, 2015

Does anyone have experience getting insurance to pay for a pediatric stroller/push chair? Any tips?

My 2yo needs one and we're just starting to investigate. Her PT is on board with it and working with us. She can walk but needs to be able to rest with her feet up when out and about to make it easier on her heart when she's having an episode.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

I'd check your insurance's policies - sometimes you can search it on the website of the company in the search box - sometimes you have to call up the company to get the number to type into their search engine to get the result that gives you what you need to print out for the doctor to submit to insurance for them to pay for it.

It would most likely be considered durable medical equipment.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 13, 2015

My sister had to have one...insurance would not buy it, but they would rent it!?! So her doctor arranged for a rental.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2015

Agree with bros. Hopefully you get a helpful person on insurance side. That being said you may need a prescription for it for insurance to cover as well.

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 12, 2016

Just an update- it ended up being cheaper and quicker to buy a used one than go through insurance. It's been key to our LO being able to be a part of family outings and not tiring out too early. We are very happy we pursued it even if we ultimately ended up paying for it ourselves.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 12, 2016

This also leaves it open for petitioning insurance to get a self-powered chair if she needs it in a few years instead of that being denied because we already asked for the stroller wheelchair.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 14, 2016

You could try to get the used one reimbursed by insurance

They'd understand a child growing. Most insurances take that into account - it's usually much looser with children, then once they hit 18, it is every x years

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

A friend of mine had a child with profound disabilities who needed wheelchairs and other equipment as she grew. The co-pays and not covered care piled up. :( Make sure you follow up with your insurance and find out exactly what your rights and benefits are. :heartpulse:

10. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 20, 2016

I would definitely call the insurance company to inquire about coverage. Never hurts to ask!