PECS Certification... seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Aug 15, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

After MANY MANY HOURS of cutting, laminating, organizing PECS books, working with kids, teaching PECS, training PECS, practicing PECS, LIVING EATING BREATHING PECS, I am FINALLY about to send my FINAL e-mail to my PECS supervisor.

There are 19 videos in total... 4 of which include my husband as the student (lol).

I'm currently uploading each one to my personal website (instead of burning a DVD and sending it... figured I'd go the fast route).

I have to submit 2 lesson plans (they are intense, sounds easy but they're intense). I have already submitted one and it was approved. One more to go. It's about halfway done but I am hoping I can finish it tonight and include it in this final e-mail.

I also had to write a 6-10 page "Case Study" on a student who went through all of the phases of PECS. I actually had fun doing this and it was already approved (it was 10 pages!)

.....burning the midnight oil. While I enjoyed this process, it was a LOT OF WORK.

And can you believe I PAID $750 to take part in the process? :lol:

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

Wow - what level of training is this?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

Okay that makes sense. I was thinking about my piddly basic training course and wondering if they worked you harder down there ;). LOL

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

Wow- I didn't know that PECS training was such a big deal!

Congrats on finishing your accomplishment!

I use the Boardmaker symbols in a different way as all of my students have more verbal ability than the need to use PECS books, but I always say it was one of the best investments I made as a teacher.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

I love Boardmaker... couldn't survive without it!

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

Oh, haha - M2M- it's like "the next step." The Basic Training course is required for the cert, but the cert is a serious amount of work (actually way more than I had envisioned).

There are so many things that I've learned throughout the process, and I hope to really be able to apply them to my classroom.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that if a kid can talk, they don't need a PECS book! I had one of my echolalic kids on a PECS system this summer (because I needed him for some of my videos!!) and he is doing amazingly well - spontaneously commenting on things, making conversation, answering questions - it's awesome!

You could call me a PECS junkie... that'd be accurate. :)

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your accomplishment Teachersk!

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

And as we round the clock towards 1:30 AM, I just submitted my final document (data collection sheets for each of the videos I submitted).

Now, we just sit back and wait for my PECS supervisor to score all of my submissions. If everything is GRAND (which I hope it will be) - I will take a 3 hour written exam .... then I will get certified!!!!

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

I guess I should clarify- we have three (four?) different Early Childhood Special Education rooms and most of my children are higher functioning and verbal, but need visual schedules, work/break routines etc. We use the symbols mainly for this. I know that in our Autism self-contained room they are mainly using PECS for those that are verbal and nonverbal.

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

CT- Wasn't taking a stab at you - was just sharing one of the exciting things I've been learning throughout this process!!

That's great that you use visual supports and picture symbols in your EC classroom! Aren't visual schedules great?

I think every class should have them! It's the first thing I recommend to a teacher when they tell me they're having behavior problems with a student. Structure and consistency solve a lot of problems!!